E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

W124 vs W210

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320
Originally Posted by shdoug
WTF does MSRP have to do with anything?! Did someone mention a 2008 E350? I must have missed that. I know where Melbourne is, thanks. You said "Europe/Australia". Is England not in Europe? Now who needs a geography lesson? If you want to disagree with me, that's fine. But don't fu*k with me; I don't take it well.
LOL. Because MSRP has something to do with the value of a car 10 years down the road. That is why a 2000 Sl600 and 2000 c320 don't cost the same. Not to mention the fact that in the exact same sentence where I mentioned Europe/Australia I also mentioned MSRP. You started calling me crazy because there is one country where you can find cheaper w124's, when my comment is perfectly pertinent to Australia and pretty much every other country in Europe, and even Canada.

Besides, you're the one who started talking all like you're the new hotness, I'm just returning the favour. You should be thankful I'm educating you, in case you didn't read the rest of the thread, there actually are some good business oppurtunities. So go ahead and quit your job.

You're lecturing me on getting personal when you started with the snide remarks insinuating that I'm crazy or stupid?

Maybe I went a little far, but by no means was it unprovoked.

Last edited by Hakk403; 10-10-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by Hakk403
LOL. Because MSRP has something to do with the value of a car 10 years down the road. That is why a 2000 Sl600 and 2000 c320 don't cost the same. Not to mention the fact that in the exact same sentence where I mentioned Europe/Australia I also mentioned MSRP. You started calling me crazy because there is one country where you can find cheaper w124's, when my comment is perfectly pertinent to Australia and pretty much every other country in Europe, and even Canada.

Besides, you're the one who started talking all like you're the new hotness, I'm just returning the favour. You should be thankful I'm educating you, in case you didn't read the rest of the thread, there actually are some good business oppurtunities. So go ahead and quit your job.

You're lecturing me on getting personal when you started with the snide remarks insinuating that I'm crazy or stupid?

Maybe I went a little far, but by no means was it unprovoked.
WOW! Calm down or you're going to have a coronary.

Forget it. I was just trying to be humorous but you didn't take it that way. I was trying to make the point that these cars don't sell for much no matter where you live, unless they are mint or a rare body style. I didn't say you were crazy or stupid. means the IDEA is crazy, but again you took it the wrong way.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:46 AM

W124
Getting back on track...
I own a W124 E320 coupe and a W210 E36.

The W210 rides better, handles better, is quieter and has more toys.
The W124 is better built and better looking. The W124 convertible is a classic.

The main problem with the W210 is the rust issue. According to the BBC weather website, Melbourne has more rain than the UK so rust will be a huge problem with most W210s over there. There is almost no rustproofing on the chassis of my W210 so it's riddled with rust. Almost all (if not all!) 10 year old W210s in this country have some rust (under the door seals, wheel arches etc). Sure, it's colder in the UK so we get salted roads in the winter months but I think rust alone will rule out the W210. Also, the E36 is not that quick because of the weight of the W210 chassis. If you must buy a W210, buy an E55.

On the E320 convertible check the usual stuff like wiring harness, headgasket etc. The 5 speed box is not thought to be as strong as the 4 speed so check that as well. The W124 convertible will hold it's value, the W210 will rot away in a few years.

BUY A W124!

You can't compare prices in different countries. I know W124s are very expensive in Australia and compared to the UK, they seem very expensive in the USA as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Originally Posted by cap'n jasper

The main problem with the W210 is the rust issue. According to the BBC weather website, Melbourne has more rain than the UK so rust will be a huge problem with most W210s over there. There is almost no rustproofing on the chassis of my W210 so it's riddled with rust. Almost all (if not all!) 10 year old W210s in this country have some rust (under the door seals, wheel arches etc). Sure, it's colder in the UK so we get salted roads in the winter months but I think rust alone will rule out the W210. Also, the E36 is not that quick because of the weight of the W210 chassis. If you must buy a W210, buy an E55.

I Dont think Rust Would be a problem and i think the BBC is full of Crap, Uk has more rain then Melbourne? Yeah Right, unless UK is in Drought like Australia is? if anything that car would've only had to put up with 4 years of rain before the drought hit, Do you think Rust would still be a problem?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:00 AM

W124
I was surprised by the BBC website.
London & Melbourne Maybe it's wrong? I don't know.
It seems Melbourne has higher rainfall but fewer rainy days. Obviously it's hotter there as well.
Maybe rusty W210s don't exist there, maybe they do? They sure do here!

Open the doors and peel back the rubber seal on top of the window frames. Check carefully around the wheel arches, boot lock, front crossmember, radiator support. Basically everywhere. Stonechips tend to rust under the paint like a spider's web. It's absolute rubbish and Mercedes should be ashamed.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
I was surprised by the BBC website.
London & Melbourne Maybe it's wrong? I don't know.
It seems Melbourne has higher rainfall but fewer rainy days. Obviously it's hotter there as well.
Maybe rusty W210s don't exist there, maybe they do? They sure do here!

Open the doors and peel back the rubber seal on top of the window frames. Check carefully around the wheel arches, boot lock, front crossmember, radiator support. Basically everywhere. Stonechips tend to rust under the paint like a spider's web. It's absolute rubbish and Mercedes should be ashamed.

Well If my dad Choses the W210 ill do all those checks thanks for the info!!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:27 PM

1986 300E
Google this
w124 Overengineered

http://www.w124.co.uk/factsfigures.html

Ive never had the chance to drive anything other then the w124. But everything ive found has said to go witht he w124. Its my first car, i know nothing about car, yet i do all of the work on my car myself. Oddly, i have better luck then my dad who has worked on cars all his life.
The w124 is just different... in a good way... just make sure you like the feel of it.
open the hood and poke around, make sure everything is clean.

My vote is for the w124s though.
only thing better then a 300class is a 400 class... and if you want the best. E500

http://www.mercedesshop.com/featuredcars.htm

good luck
Old 10-10-2007, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i love how people state things they dont know as facts.

"the 124 was never sold with a 5 speed auto" etc

lemme guess, they all had fuel injection too right?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by neanderthal
i love how people state things they dont know as facts.

"the 124 was never sold with a 5 speed auto" etc

lemme guess, they all had fuel injection too right?
I should hope they were all fuel injected. A bit of trivia for the n00bs: The "E" stands for Einspritzung, the German word for fuel injection.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
The "E" stands for Einspritzung, the German word for fuel injection.
not any more, but at that time, most definitely!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I should hope they were all fuel injected. A bit of trivia for the n00bs: The "E" stands for Einspritzung, the German word for fuel injection.
considering that ive personally worked on base model carbed W124s with the designation "200", id say that they arent all fuel injected. stromburg carburettor. also available on 2.3 liter cars, designated "230" obviously.

and as already stated, the E used to stand for injected, but not anymore.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Oh and they aren't electronic, most were electromechanical.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Just to let all you guys know about which E Class my dad bought......

He didnt the B*stard He Bought a Fricken 2007 Ford Falcon SR

So yeah Our Family Has been tainted twice over, i work for ford and now my family owns one -_- With all My persistance to stay away from them
Old 12-21-2007, 10:58 AM

'95 E420 SE
Originally Posted by lkchris
The W210 is light years better than the W124.

Any newer Mercedes is better than the one it replaces.
At the risk of sounding territorial: Did they sell you some Chrysler stock to go with that factless theory you bought into? Just because your newer cars have navigation and a Bose stereo with Bluetooth which might make them nicer, it doesn't make them a better car. We could start this debate with gage thickness of the body panels and work our way inward if you would like, but there will likely never, ever be another automobile over-built to the same physical quality of the W124. The sheer quantity of fully operational examples (taxis, police & passenger cars) still on the road all around the world is proof enough of this.

New stuff is great, with lots and lots of refinements which intially make for a great driving experience. But the new stuff is built poorly by comparison...to this there is little room for debate. Check out the plummeting resale value of any five year old(ish) Benz if you need further proof.

Last edited by ShanMan; 12-21-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:11 AM

2000 MB E320
Getting back on track...
I own a W124 E320 coupe and a W210 E36.

The W210 rides better, handles better, is quieter and has more toys.
The W124 is better built and better looking. The W124 convertible is a classic.

On the E320 convertible check the usual stuff like wiring harness, headgasket etc. The 5 speed box is not thought to be as strong as the 4 speed so check that as well. The W124 convertible will hold it's value, the W210 will rot away in a few years.

BUY A W124!

You can't compare prices in different countries. I know W124s are very expensive in Australia and compared to the UK, they seem very expensive in the USA as well.
Older post I know but I lucked up on a W210 in excellent for its age shape. Yes there are rust spots but my wheel arches and shock mount's are in great shape. 2000 base E320 in U.S. black on tan high miles 196k but she runs like she had less then 20k. So I guess it depends and I live in the snow/salt belt of Ohio and she still in great condition. So I mean I guess in all actuality it depends upon the upkeep of the W210 and the love you show it. We do love our Benz in the United States. And honestly if it wasn't for the 3.2l v6 and the fact that they are known to go 600k -1 million miles if maintained I love it. That head issue in the w124 scares the hell out of me and it's not cheap even for a person like me that works for a shop. So just to clarify 2000 mercedes E320 196k good tran's engine starts every time minimal rust so like I said may just depend on the maintenance of the w210