E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

new 300e owner... looks good, runs like crap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by imagineaudio
well, after doing some more research on changing the Vacuum Modulator... I think I am going to take it in and have it done. I've heard great things about a shop in Tarzana, CA by the name of MB Motors. I'm in the middle of moving and I'm not sure when my funds will be replenished, so...

Tonight I went in to change the air filter and found oil puddled up inside the case....

I pulled the case out to clean the oil out so I can see how fast it is collecting and inadvertently found where the gas smell is coming from that I mentioned in my first post.

Dripping right out of the EHA valve connected to fuel distributor.

I unplugged it and started the car and it started quicker and ran smoother, how ever lost engine speed while trying to rev over 3000 rpms... Plugged it back in and its rough as usual.

Does this whole part need to be changed...? Or can I just replace some seals? If replaced w/ a new one is it a plug and play type part or will it need some adjustments to fine tune...?
How is your O2 sensor? Essentially it is what tells the EHA what to do, along with the temp sensor and some other inputs. But, yes it will need a new seal to fix the leaking fuel problem. I'm not familiar with the anatomy of an EHA, but I assume it has seals that are replaceable. If not, maybe you can find one on the net.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 PM

1990 300e
well some research concludes that the EHA valve is leaking, not the seals. It's not repairable and needs to be replaced. Best price I've found for the part is close to $300... I'm going to go pull one off a parts car w/ 110,000 for $30. Hopefully that will suffice until I can get a new one.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 PM

1990 300e
well, I'm a dumbass...

Seems like it actually is the seals... Won't know for sure until they come in.

Just FYI... If the EHA valve itself is leaking, it will be leaking from the pins. If the whole thing is covered in gas, especially the top, most likely leaking from the joint.

Looks like I may have an extra EHA valve laying around.... Wasn't a total waste of $30 though. I also came home with a center arm rest that looks brand new (mine looks close to 100 years old) and a brand new K&N air filter
Old 03-10-2008, 06:52 PM

1990 300e
Alright... Update if anyone cares.

Replaced faulty OVP
Replaced leaking EHA valve
Replaced bad vacuum modulator
Replaced spark plugs and air filter

Ran like a brand new car... ...for 3 days
Some ******* hit it while it was parked in the street. Totaled it.

I'm way bummed about this. He took out the back left corner of the car. Not sure the entire extent of the damage but it does roll forward and back. The rear driver side wheel is smashed up against the body, looks like bent axle, broken struts....

His insurance is offering me $2850, $2450 if I keep the car. They are putting the average value of the car at $3100. I think its a little low, KBB is 3700, NADA is around $4500. They deducted $700 from the valuation because they think the engine has "Major Mechanical Problems." They deduced this from the picture they took of the engine. There is a little oil on the engine, but I'm convinced this is normal wear for this car, and I'm fighting to get their payout closer to $4000. The car ran f'ing perfect. 4 or 5 days before it got totaled, it was involved when a DUI driver hit a few parked cars and the foremost one hit my bumper. It caused a 2" crack. His insurance payed me $900 for my troubles.

Either way, not bad considering my total investment in the car was $800 including repairs. But I do miss her terribly.

I haven't decided if i should buy another one, as the ins. co. is going to let me keep the car for $400, I can use it for parts if I find another cheap one. I suppose I'll just part it out.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Originally Posted by imagineaudio
Alright... Update if anyone cares.

Replaced faulty OVP
Replaced leaking EHA valve
Replaced bad vacuum modulator
Replaced spark plugs and air filter

Ran like a brand new car... ...for 3 days
Some ******* hit it while it was parked in the street. Totaled it.

I'm way bummed about this. He took out the back left corner of the car. Not sure the entire extent of the damage but it does roll forward and back. The rear driver side wheel is smashed up against the body, looks like bent axle, broken struts....

His insurance is offering me $2850, $2450 if I keep the car. They are putting the average value of the car at $3100. I think its a little low, KBB is 3700, NADA is around $4500. They deducted $700 from the valuation because they think the engine has "Major Mechanical Problems." They deduced this from the picture they took of the engine. There is a little oil on the engine, but I'm convinced this is normal wear for this car, and I'm fighting to get their payout closer to $4000. The car ran f'ing perfect. 4 or 5 days before it got totaled, it was involved when a DUI driver hit a few parked cars and the foremost one hit my bumper. It caused a 2" crack. His insurance payed me $900 for my troubles.

Either way, not bad considering my total investment in the car was $800 including repairs. But I do miss her terribly.

I haven't decided if i should buy another one, as the ins. co. is going to let me keep the car for $400, I can use it for parts if I find another cheap one. I suppose I'll just part it out.

What do you guys think?
Very sad, is what I think.

If you miss the 300, buy another , better one with the $$$. I'd keep the old one - who knows what you could use and you'll get $400 easy for what you don't use.

China wants steel - how much does it weigh?

Sorry... shouldn't have said that.

Last edited by 190E 16V; 03-10-2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
I too would buy it back if you can. So sad to hear the loss of such a fine car.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
You can't really change the rubbers on the eha valve with out them being the original. I tried that once and it leaked all over the place. You can find some use EHA valves in the junk yard so you can take the seals off. I'm sure they won't notice two missing seals lol.