E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

High pitch whine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300e 3.0L
High pitch whine?

I just had my Serpentine belt replaced, about a month ago. Recently my car has started to make an extremely loud, high pitch whine in the morning when I turn on the defroster. If I turn it on, this sound occurs at all RPMs and seems to go away (slowly) after I turn off the heat.

I took it to a local mechanic, and he says the water pump is making this noise. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Could it be the fan clutch? a belt tensioner?

Capt
Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Check

belt tension,under load if not adjusted properly will scream like the dickens.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Almost a Member!

1990 300e 3.0L
I don't remember experiencing the problem prior to having the belt changed, and it's something I think I would definitely remember. When they did the job, they also left this shock unbolted which I think is the tensioner shock. I bolted it back in place as soon as I got my car back.

Again, the problem only really occurs at length when the heater is switched on and I am wondering if the belt (overall) needed tension wouldn't it make the noise in all RPM's? I'm calling the shop today and telling them to double check tension on the belt and make sure it's the water pump making the noise. I kind of have my doubts, since the pump looks like it was replaced in the last 2 or so years.. but it IS weird that turning the heater on seems to make this problem occur and points towards that
Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's your alternator.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Almost a Member!

1990 300e 3.0L
Originally Posted by cobraperri
It's your alternator.
Really? I'm not so sure about that, but I'll check. I think the sound has been coming from the right side of the engine - but hey, I'll check again today when I pick it up from the shop.

Do bad brushes in the alt. make a god-awful noise like that?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Almost a Member!

E320
Originally Posted by cobraperri
It's your alternator.
What makes you say that?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
My car makes a whining noise too, and it definitely is the alternator, but I wouldnt necesarily say thats your cause too.

Actually, mine did the same thing last year too with my smog pump. When the bearings on the pulleys are cold, they have a problem with seizing up and making noises until they heat up.

Since you say yours makes noise only when you have the heater on I would definitely say that is the problem.

If I put some good quality lube generously on the bearing every week or so, it stops the sqeaking. (I use slick 50 and apply right next to and around the belt on that particular pulley.)

Try it out and let us know.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Remember that there are 2 water pumps. It is probably the Aux water pump, located next to the battery on a sedan or coupe. It is a small electric motor-driven pump and valve assembly. The valve is called the Mono Valve. Put your ear by it when the whining is there and you will probably be able to tell easily if it is making the noise.

As one guy said in another forum, "I used to have a high pitched whine coming from the passenger side, but it went away after my divorce."
Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by shdoug
Remember that there are 2 water pumps. It is probably the Aux water pump, located next to the battery on a sedan or coupe. It is a small electric motor-driven pump and valve assembly. The valve is called the Mono Valve. Put your ear by it when the whining is there and you will probably be able to tell easily if it is making the noise.

As one guy said in another forum, "I used to have a high pitched whine coming from the passenger side, but it went away after my divorce."
hahahahahahahaha
Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jlink38
What makes you say that?
Experience jlink! Like Shdoug said also. The secondary water pump is probable too.
When you start turning electrical devices on, it puts a greater load on the alt.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Its not the alternator. At least. I HIGHLY doubt it is. The way the pulleys on most of our belt-driven components are made make them very unreliable. Some (like the smog pump and water pump) operate kind of on a cluth system that allows them to be engaged when in use.

I would definitely agree that it is your water pump. The aux pump only engages when you turn your heater on so there would be your explaination for that.

Im not sure that lubing it like i suggested would help now that I think about it. That works on my alternator because it doesnt have that clutch system I mentioned.

If you dont want to pay to get it replaced I would say to not use your heater at all. When my smog pump bearing went out on the freeway, it sliced my belt straight down the middle. It was raining, my headlights went out, power steering stopped and the only offramp was uphill. The car died on the offramp but luckily restarted and got me to the gas station at the end. Very scary.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Yeah capthook, you're in California. What are you using the heater for, anyway? Did it get down to 68° and you were chilly?

Seriously, it sounds like it's just the aux pump. You can get the part online and replace it yourself. Easy fix!
Old 02-02-2008, 12:35 PM

92 300TE 4Matic
On my 92 TE the aux water pump is electric and controlled by the heater.
I believe its variable speed, controlled in a manner similar to the heater fan in auto mode (runs faster the more heat is needed and slows down once car interior warms up.
This fits with your description of the symptoms I think.

Get a piece of small diameter plastic hose. Stick one end in your ear and use the other end to locate the sound.

Last edited by MediumKahuna; 02-02-2008 at 12:41 PM.