E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Damn Fuses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Geh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Damn Fuses

Well after having a good run with my Merc for A while something had to go wrong My car blew a fuse, I have No Dash Lights what so ever, No Warning Noise For Headlamps, And No Right Park Lights, or Able To Switch either Left or right park lights on singly, I was thinking ahh its just a fuse it'll be ok, but after replacing the Number 3 Fuse for the Third Time and Blowing Them Straight away i knew i was in Trouble.....

Can anyone Point Me in Any Direction of what Is Causing These Fuses to blow? Im freaking Out i have no money what so ever if its going to Cost me alot to get this Problem fixed
Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
well the best i can think is there is a power surge going on some where. the fuse takes the hit and blows thats what happened with my windows and my OVP fuses. if you got a volt meter you can check to see how high the volts are that are hitting the fuse. as to what it is you got me. mine died becuz of all the jump starts i needed.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Originally Posted by Rio Z Lander
well the best i can think is there is a power surge going on some where. the fuse takes the hit and blows thats what happened with my windows and my OVP fuses. if you got a volt meter you can check to see how high the volts are that are hitting the fuse. as to what it is you got me. mine died becuz of all the jump starts i needed.
its Really pissing me off i've Wasted 3 Fuses For it, and its hard to find non Genuine Fuses in Auto Shops, as they normaly have the flat wedge blades i was lucky enough to get them as i was, and i dont want to waste any more money on them, Ive already had both my Dash Lights go at once awhile back, they Blew at the Same Time?

This problem is starting to aggravate me lol, My Mum came to pick me up from a party tonight and she used my car, not a good idea haha, no dash lights she couldnt see **** haha
Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
This diagram is confusing to me. If it blows when everything is turned off it looks like it could be the Anti Theft alarm system shorting out. It's got to be just a shorted wire somewhere. It should not be a big deal. It will just take time to find it. The attachment is really small for some reason but fuse 3 is in the middle of the page, the first fuse in the right hand group. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Damn Fuses-power-dist-1.jpg  

Last edited by shdoug; 02-23-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:51 PM

1994 E320 Dragon Wagon
Voltage is a constant, voltage readings won't help. This is an isolation technique. Remove segments of the circuit and insert a new fuse each time. You need several fuses to perform.

Find F3 circuit connectors and disconnect one at a time and retest. There is a short somewhere to ground. The alarm and dash lamps are internal and tough to isolate or even find the connectors. A more suspicious area would be external lamps exposed to weather. Start with the marker segment. Find a connector that feeds the markers and isolate one side at a time. The bulb sockets need inspection. Try simply removing all bulbs and replace one at a time. The fuse will blow when the bad segment is reconnected. Trace down from there.

With the fuse removed, you may use an ohm meter measuring resistance to ground testing segments of cable from the connector pin-outs.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 02-23-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Im no good with this, I suck at Auto Electrics haha, I bit the Bullet and Just Sent it Down to The Stealership, my parents will help me out

Even though they dont know about it yet

Ill Let you know What the Verdict turns out to be guys
Old 02-28-2008, 03:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
too bad you can't just PhotoChop it to get it fixed
Old 02-28-2008, 04:06 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by shdoug
This diagram is confusing to me. If it blows when everything is turned off it looks like it could be the Anti Theft alarm system shorting out. It's got to be just a shorted wire somewhere. It should not be a big deal. It will just take time to find it. The attachment is really small for some reason but fuse 3 is in the middle of the page, the first fuse in the right hand group. Good luck.
You know shdoug, I have seen many insightful tips from you about fixing all kinds of things and you are really impressing me. It seems like you might be a real mechanic. For a guy like you, it seems it should have been OK to keep a W124, since you could have just fixed the thing yourself.

Anyway, I really am starting to feel much better about my car. It just keeps on going. Hopefully this year will not bring any new big issue, so maybe I can go after at least one of the existing faults. Now if I get some new big issue, then I could go off the deep end again, but for now I am hopeful.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:51 PM

1986 300E
If you have changed any of the factory speakers or anything check your wires and make sure everythings connected.
I had a very similar problem when hooking up my radio because we wired 1 ground wire wrong and i kept blowing the fuse as soon as i turned the key on.

maybe a wire or two got crossed? or fell off and is hitting something it shouldnt be hitting.

just something easy to check that might help.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ksing44
You know shdoug, I have seen many insightful tips from you about fixing all kinds of things and you are really impressing me. It seems like you might be a real mechanic. For a guy like you, it seems it should have been OK to keep a W124, since you could have just fixed the thing yourself.

Anyway, I really am starting to feel much better about my car. It just keeps on going. Hopefully this year will not bring any new big issue, so maybe I can go after at least one of the existing faults. Now if I get some new big issue, then I could go off the deep end again, but for now I am hopeful.
Thanks, Ken! Yes, my problem was that my wife wouldn't let me work on it. She can't seem to understand that I enjoy working on things. To her it's just work. Getting rid of the Benz was more of a move to save my marriage than anything.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:04 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by shdoug
Thanks, Ken! Yes, my problem was that my wife wouldn't let me work on it. She can't seem to understand that I enjoy working on things. To her it's just work. Getting rid of the Benz was more of a move to save my marriage than anything.
I would choose my wife too!!! Thank goodness we have wives we are happy to keep. It might be bad to have a car with problems, but it is certainly far better than having a wife with problems. I just wish I could get my wife to ....
Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ksing44
I would choose my wife too!!! Thank goodness we have wives we are happy to keep. It might be bad to have a car with problems, but it is certainly far better than having a wife with problems. I just wish I could get my wife to ....
^ That's a good way to look at it! I am thankful, too. I have a boring car but I'm OK with that for now. Actually my boring car is in the garage and I'm driving a new Dakota paid for by my company. Can't complain about that I guess.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Well I Got the News Back from the Stealership today, and its worse then i thought

Supposedly one of the wires shorted Behind My dash and Has melted the Wiring loom and cause havoc to my wires Need a whole new wiring loom.

$1800 Im Pissed and i mean really Pissed, ****ing Bosch electrics

Im now $1800 in debt and My car is going to be at the dealership for atleast a week the Service Manager told me
Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
I would look at that damage myself before forking over 1800 bucks...I mean I bought my baby for 1100.....not trying to make matters worst or anything.

Also, auto electrics aren't as scary as you would first tend to think. My advice would be to look at the damage and see if it is really as horrendous as the stealership claims. Taping up some melted wires could be a easy, cheap temporary fix until you find a buddy thats good with a soldering Iron and wire strippers. 1800 bucks is rediculous.....hell thinking about that kind of money makes me want to start making my own harnesses for a mere $900!!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Originally Posted by appatula
I would look at that damage myself before forking over 1800 bucks...I mean I bought my baby for 1100.....not trying to make matters worst or anything.

Also, auto electrics aren't as scary as you would first tend to think. My advice would be to look at the damage and see if it is really as horrendous as the stealership claims. Taping up some melted wires could be a easy, cheap temporary fix until you find a buddy thats good with a soldering Iron and wire strippers. 1800 bucks is rediculous.....hell thinking about that kind of money makes me want to start making my own harnesses for a mere $900!!
Maybe i should, The Cars still at the dealership atm they said they wouldn't get started on it till Monday so i might go and ask around auto electricians and see how much cheaper they are.

When i got the call this afternoon and He said do you want the good or bad news first i was thinking ok here we go, Good news they found the Problem Bad news well you know what that is he told me $1800 I practically screamed at him on the phone "$1800 ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS?"

Supposedly it melted some switch and that Part cost around $350 as well -_-

Needless to say im Missing my car already And i Hate Bosch haha

Last edited by Geh; 02-29-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:04 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Well finally got some news on my car today from the auto electrician, my dad went down and checked out the car all the wiring is completely melted and ****ed, so this Fix could cost around $4000 instead

If It comes to this Im Sorry Guys But ill be buying a W126 and Moving To their Forum As the W126's are cheaper here in Aus then our W124's
Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 e320...sold the rest
Boo...
Old 04-10-2008, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
I would find a wiring diagram and re-wire it myself. I had to do that to change a a 230e from the european cluster to the U.S cluster. Also had to do some work on the fuel injection wiring because it had a 190E 2.3L engine..
Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
I would find a wiring diagram and re-wire it myself. I had to do that to change a a 230e from the european cluster to the U.S cluster. Also had to do some work on the fuel injection wiring because it had a 190E 2.3L engine..

I suck At Auto Electrics, Plus its a nightmare, all the wires are just one big melted blob, im going to just trade it it and let a dealer Deal with it, They Did this to me so im doing it back to them, THAT IS IF we can now fix the miss the engine has brought up since the wires have been disturbed, now running on 5 cylinders my car is slowly dying and i fear the road is not long before she just becomes a heap of scrap metal

I Loved My W124 more then anything else, now shes going to just be leaving me as a nightmare, i Havent given up on my Dream Brand Mercedes, But I fear i wont be owning a W124 again in a long time if ever again

And so this Road of my Benz Is coming to a slow and painful end, i just pray she can be fixed and hold up for enough time for me to let her go and redeem some money to stay in the Benz Game

Till Then Guys it was Great Being apart of the W124 Forums Im going to Miss talking about all the graet memorys ive had with the car and how she treated me so well if only to be coming to a Abrupt End

Im sure ill still hang around on this forum abit but not as often as a used to i know my stay has been only short but it was great while it lasted

It was Great Being apart of this Family and im going to miss it

Geh Signing Off.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
If you're going to spend $1800 on it I would just look for another cheap w124 to transfer all my parts too....