E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Possible end of my W124

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 AM
CLJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E
Possible end of my W124

On Sunday night about 11pm I was driving home when I was hit by a drunk driver. She ran a red light, smashed up the side of my car and then some how drove off! Luckily another driver followed her home and told the cops so she got arrested and has to go to court.

The problem now is that the quoted cost to repair the car was estimated at around $8-10K which I regrettably didn't insure my car for. Instead I'm getting a measly $5K minus $500 to buy back the car. So I either have the choice to scrap the car which I don't want to do seeing as I've pored in about $20k since I bought it a few years ago, or I can try and fix it as cheap as possible.

My insurance company have told me none of it can be panel beaten so the door needs replacing and a new right panel must be cut and installed (the red circles are where I guess it should be cut). Also they quoted me for a new suspension and wheels but I think the suspension looks easily repairable?

Anyway I've posted some pics and would really appreciated feedback on repairing it.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
95 C36
Sorry to hear, I am in a similar situation, see sig below....

Except my mom got into an accident and the option to buy the car back was $1000, so I bought the car from her as is and she got $9000 from the insurance company.

I plan to start fixing this thing this coming spring, the hardest part is that the frame rail needs to be repaired, I've already got a guy who can do it on the side for pretty cheap....

You have to figure out whether it's worth it to fix it or whether buying another W124 is more cost effective. I would try to part her out or maybe transfer parts that you've invested into another W124.

Maybe an excuse to go with an 500E/E500

Good luck
Old 03-07-2008, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
sorry man,,, i hate drunk **** drivers well good luck whatever you do

ohh and is that a full exhaust replacemt you had? what kind
Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
And this person somehow still has a pulse?! I would have chased her down on the rims if I had to. She would pay, one way or the other. I can't understand how someone can be that drunk. Damn, have a couple drinks and go home. Why do people have to be such pigs when it comes to alcohol?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Because alcohol makes stupid people worse. In any case, glad you are alright, looks like the w124 did its job.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
I would think it's cheaper if you buy a donor car with a clean title and transfer most of the good parts from your car to that one. I did that 3 times already on different cars i've crashed. It's cheaper than reparing the damage one if you have a donor car with nice paint. If the engine is good on your car then just find one with a bad engine and rent a engine hoist.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
easier method:

SUE! Sue the sh*t outta that chick. Shouldnt you be entitled to every penny worth of damage that she cost you, and then some? She could have killed you.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
easier method:

SUE! Sue the sh*t outta that chick. Shouldnt you be entitled to every penny worth of damage that she cost you, and then some? She could have killed you.
So very Umerican of you to suggest this
Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
So very Umerican of you to suggest this
Duh. I knew someone would say that. Its not really excessive though. He should be able to get every penny that it costs to put his life back were it was before the incident she caused. Plus the grief and compensation for the time he will spend without a car, looking for shops, at the crime scene, etc. Pieces of his life he will never get back because of her ignorance.

im not saying he should sue for some obscene amount of money, just enough to set things right.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
Duh. I knew someone would say that. Its not really excessive though. He should be able to get every penny that it costs to put his life back were it was before the incident she caused. Plus the grief and compensation for the time he will spend without a car, looking for shops, at the crime scene, etc. Pieces of his life he will never get back because of her ignorance.

im not saying he should sue for some obscene amount of money, just enough to set things right.
I agree. There is no excuse for drunken driving. Especially being so wasted as to not stop for a red light. She had to be barely conscious. Make her pay and maybe she'll think next time. But probably not.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Agreed, although who knows whether Australia's legal system allows such lawsuits.

Plus, lawsuits (at least here) aren't a cakewalk. They are a huge draw of time and a huge outlay of cash (unless you hire an attorney who only collects if/when you win or settle). Plus they are very stressful.

Sometimes you just have to bear the consequences of others' mistakes. That's life.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:30 AM
CLJ

300E
Originally Posted by shdoug
And this person somehow still has a pulse?! I would have chased her down on the rims if I had to. She would pay, one way or the other. I can't understand how someone can be that drunk. Damn, have a couple drinks and go home. Why do people have to be such pigs when it comes to alcohol?
Haha yeh I tried to do that when she started driving off but, when I jumped back in the car I forgot it was still in drive when I tried to start it. I guess that was a good thing really! But thanks for the comments everyone, ASAP I'll go get some legal advice from a don't-win-don't-pay firm.

In the mean time though does anyone have some suggestions towards the suspension? I cicled the rear camber strut as the bend in it looks rather huge but does anyone else see faulty parts in that pic?

Originally Posted by berti_00
sorry man,,, i hate drunk **** drivers well good luck whatever you do

ohh and is that a full exhaust replacemt you had? what kind
Yeh thats a full straight through exhaust but as for the parts I don't know what brand they are? Just something the guy at the exhaust shop put on.