E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Need quick catalytic converter help pls!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
Need quick catalytic converter help pls!!

Hi All,

The car is a 1990 300ce with about 200k miles on the clock. It's on its original catalytic converter.

I suspected that my cat was bad after I failed emissions, developed a rough idle and hesitation.

I suspected the cat because I previously have had to have my fuel distributor replaced, had fouled plugs and bad injectors, leak down, etc. Basically mechanics were scratching their heads trying to diagnose the rough idle after having tons of work done on it- they have either replaced or checked everything under the hood that they can think of. The list is seriously too long to list.

The last time I had it in, the mechanic suspected the cat, but he was very slow so I had to take my car back from him before he could test it.

I just took the car into midas this morning and they are saying it's bad. They tested it by doing a "heat test". They said a typical cat gets hot in the rear when its running. But they are saying mine is "ice cold" near the back indicating that it's not burning up the fumes like it should. I actually could have it backwards (could be cold in the front, hot in the back, not sure).

Not to be an a-hole, but I don't completely trust their diagnosis simply because they are midas. So here are my questions:

1) Is this a valid way of testing the cat? I know people typically do a vacuum test of some kind to determine if it's partially or completely clogged. I have also heard of mechanics simply disconnecting it and running the car to see if the symptoms go away. They didn't do anything like this.

2) They are saying that I can only get a "direct replacement" type of cat... meaning either OEM (no way I'm paying that kind of money) or another after market bolt-on version. They said they cannot use an generic one and weld it in. I have heard of others on the forums using universal ones though... The only concern I have with that method of replacement is that you have to put a lot more trust in the craftsman doing the welding and bending.

I ask #2 because they are saying it will cost $1,000 parts and labor for an aftermarket direct-fit unit. They said it's 2.2 hours of labor.

I asked them if they'd be willing to install one if I found a deal online and brought it in and they said yes. I'd rather not have to pay $1k. Their shop rate can't be more than $75/hr, so 2.2 hours should only cost around $170.

I found this cat that should fit my car. If I bought this one, the total with labor and shipping would only be roughly $450-$500. Any thoughts on this unit, or any other recommendations?

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/me...t97171930.html

Not to rush- but I need to give them an answer in the next few hours.

Thanks!!

Peter

Last edited by Bigpete123; 07-17-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300CE Coupe
Good Luck, and I sure hope someone knowlegable replies to ou soon. I failed VA Emissions twice now in my 1988 300ce. Have a new Oxygen Sensor, but the inspector "thinks" it may be the Cat. I am in the same boat... That is an expensive route, but I may not have a choice....
Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
I'm along for the ride. My car is putting out some noxious odors and hesitating, and I know its not the rotor/cap, plugs, wires, so I'm going with cat/resonator, and my father confirms. I might have to bite that 400$ bullet before September, otherwise my car will fail.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
I'll keep you guys posted. My exhaust is extremely rich-smelling. So I promise that I would fail emissions if I tried.

I will be satisfied if the cat fixes the emissions only, and extremely relieved if it fixes the rough idle and hesitation (which I've been battling basically since I bought the car 4 or 5 years ago).
Old 07-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Almost a Member!

1990 300CE
I have the answers for you

Are you still online?
You will see that I have your car. My guy did a GREAT job installing a Magnflow cat in my car when it faild smog.

MIDAS sucks at what they do. Drive away as fast as you can.

Post again for a BETTER, CHEAPER solution.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:37 PM

1988 300CE Coupe
I'm back... I was looking at the Magnflow as well. If I might ask, how much did it set you back. Some pictures of my car are posted here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/250340-hello-all-newbie.html
Old 07-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Almost a Member!

1990 300CE
Well, my factory setup was 2 pipes in, 2 pipes out. The welder used 2 'pre-made' Y pipes(store bought through the supplier) , and welded it all together.

Use a 2 1/2" or 3" cat, single in-single out.

Looks great, works fine.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Thanks guys. I already bought the Catco setup. I figure it should be a no-brainer for installation since it's a bolt-on replacement... that way i feel better about taking it to a cheaper shop to have it done.

Since I bought this one though, I've read some reviews that have said they are poorly made. So my fingers are crossed!
Old 07-19-2008, 04:56 PM

1988 300CE Coupe
This quotes a $ 90.30 price for a Magnaflow 94007 MERCEDES 300 SERIES Universal Fit Catalytic Converter --- http://www.discountperformanceautopa...hk=1&Itemid=37

Has anyone tried this item ?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
I paid almost $900.00 for an aftermarket 2 piece replacement exhaust for my 1995 E320. My Indy told me the factory unit was one piece and would cost almost twice as much. Next time I may try "BuyMBParts" for factory MB parts at discount pricing. My after market thing is a little noisier and I wish I had just spent the money on the factory unit.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Almost a Member!

1990 300CE
Originally Posted by PeterGunz
This quotes a $ 90.30 price for a Magnaflow 94007 MERCEDES 300 SERIES Universal Fit Catalytic Converter --- http://www.discountperformanceautopa...hk=1&Itemid=37

Has anyone tried this item ?
That will do. Magnaflows are one of the best. NEVER had one come back or warranty, at my shop.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W124, W220 S500 4matic, W140 S500, CLS55 AMG
Pete,

Any update on this?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Well it's funny you should ask.

Yesterday was not a good day. I was an idiot and took the car to a non-muffler shop for the replacement. According to the parts bin (where I bought the cat from), the Catco unit is a bolt-on replacement. So I didn't anticipate any issues. In other words, I didn't think the shop would need any special welding, cutting, or bending equipment.

The mechanic pulled out the old cat (had to cut some stuff to get it out) only to realize that the cat they sent me was about 6" too long and the pipe bends were not even close to correct.

So I was stuck. I spent $200 on labor at the first shop, only to find out that the cat I bought won't work. And they couldn't do any modifications to the cat I bought because their shop wasn't equipped for that kind of work.

My car was undrivable without the exhaust hooked up, so I had to pay another $120 for a tow to a proper muffler shop. So $320 later, I still didn't have a cat installed in the car.

The muffler shop confirmed that the part was way off. I have looked through all of the documentation, and it appears that The Parts Bin sent me the part they believe is correct for my car. So either their catalogue is incorrect, or the guys at Catco were smoking dope when they decided it would fit my car.

The packaging was also aweful from The Parts Bin. They used a box that was about twice as big as it needed to be in width, but about 2 feet too short (so the pipes were sticking 2 feet out of the box, which they tore a hole out of so that the pipes could stick out). There was no padding inside the box, so I can only imagine the thing was tossed around.

I'm trying to get a refund from them on this. They won't reimburse me for the costs their mistakes caused me to incur. They will only give me money for the part for the return. Which is BS.

So my 3 mistakes were:

1) Taking the car to a non muffler shop initially
2) Buying a Catco Catalytic converter
3) Buying from the Parts Bin.

The muffler shop is welding in a Magnaflow universal unit as I type.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Jesus dude, I'm sorry. Thats a miserable bit of luck.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:01 PM

1994 E320
Originally Posted by Bigpete123
Well it's funny you should ask.

Yesterday was not a good day. I was an idiot and took the car to a non-muffler shop for the replacement. According to the parts bin (where I bought the cat from), the Catco unit is a bolt-on replacement. So I didn't anticipate any issues. In other words, I didn't think the shop would need any special welding, cutting, or bending equipment.

The mechanic pulled out the old cat (had to cut some stuff to get it out) only to realize that the cat they sent me was about 6" too long and the pipe bends were not even close to correct.

So I was stuck. I spent $200 on labor at the first shop, only to find out that the cat I bought won't work. And they couldn't do any modifications to the cat I bought because their shop wasn't equipped for that kind of work.

My car was undrivable without the exhaust hooked up, so I had to pay another $120 for a tow to a proper muffler shop. So $320 later, I still didn't have a cat installed in the car.

The muffler shop confirmed that the part was way off. I have looked through all of the documentation, and it appears that The Parts Bin sent me the part they believe is correct for my car. So either their catalogue is incorrect, or the guys at Catco were smoking dope when they decided it would fit my car.

The packaging was also aweful from The Parts Bin. They used a box that was about twice as big as it needed to be in width, but about 2 feet too short (so the pipes were sticking 2 feet out of the box, which they tore a hole out of so that the pipes could stick out). There was no padding inside the box, so I can only imagine the thing was tossed around.

I'm trying to get a refund from them on this. They won't reimburse me for the costs their mistakes caused me to incur. They will only give me money for the part for the return. Which is BS.

So my 3 mistakes were:

1) Taking the car to a non muffler shop initially
2) Buying a Catco Catalytic converter
3) Buying from the Parts Bin.

The muffler shop is welding in a Magnaflow universal unit as I type.
If you need a Mercedes-Benz (not dealership) mechanic, great one, let me know! This is for the maintenance/repair in the future if needed! He drives/owns few W124's, including CE and sedan. He saved me a lot of dough over the dealership prices, work always done on time and when I asked him to replace one part for me, he said it's still good and doesn't need to be replaced, imagine that! Here is the info:
Strictly Mercedes Benz (Victor-owner/mechanic)
(206) 524-0122
1409 NE 80th St
Seattle, WA 98115
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Thanks man! That might be the next shop I try. I actually called those guys about a year ago to see if they would rebuild my transmission and they referred me to Dean Transmissions (by the Cinerama).

Knock on wood, aside from this debacle I haven't needed to take my car in to a mechanic for about a year now which is a fantastic streak for me!

I will definitely try them next.

And just to warn you, never take your car to Fat City German Autos on Denny. I took my car there about 2 years ago for emissions work. $1,300 later in labor and a new EHA valve, the car was running WAY worse than when I brought it in. It took like 3 tries to get it to start, and it would die if I let my foot off the gas. Their solution to getting me through emissions was to dial the mixture down so lean that the car hardly ran.

I was so pissed. I will never go there again.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM

1988 300CE Coupe
Just brought a Magaflow universal, going to have it installed next week... Super price --- $60.00
Old 07-30-2008, 06:15 PM

1994 E320
Originally Posted by Bigpete123
Thanks man! That might be the next shop I try. I actually called those guys about a year ago to see if they would rebuild my transmission and they referred me to Dean Transmissions (by the Cinerama).

Knock on wood, aside from this debacle I haven't needed to take my car in to a mechanic for about a year now which is a fantastic streak for me!

I will definitely try them next.

And just to warn you, never take your car to Fat City German Autos on Denny. I took my car there about 2 years ago for emissions work. $1,300 later in labor and a new EHA valve, the car was running WAY worse than when I brought it in. It took like 3 tries to get it to start, and it would die if I let my foot off the gas. Their solution to getting me through emissions was to dial the mixture down so lean that the car hardly ran.

I was so pissed. I will never go there again.
Thanks for the warning man...it's good to know where to go and where not to!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
damm sorry to hear that pete that must suck man...
Old 07-30-2008, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Do you have the link/part number for the cat you used? I think I need to replace mine as well....i jammed my exhaust back, exiting a stereo shop's ghey *** ramp and i may have broken a few parts on my exhaust...i hear stuff i never used to....boooourns.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM

1994 E320
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
Do you have the link/part number for the cat you used? I think I need to replace mine as well....i jammed my exhaust back, exiting a stereo shop's ghey *** ramp and i may have broken a few parts on my exhaust...i hear stuff i never used to....boooourns.
Is it a squeeky rattle that you hear only when idling?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Mark, I'd have a shop look at it first. It could be as simple as a broken pipe, could be your muffler, etc. The cat is right in the center of the car, so your muffler would probably be the first thing to get damaged before the cat.

And I assume you are referring to the magnaflow unit I had done... I don't have the part number for it off hand. I am not going to share the link to the one I bought online because i don't recommend it.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Oh and I just brought the car home. At first, I got all excited because I thought the rough idle/hesitation problem was gone. At first the car was running great. But after about 10 minutes of driving, it went back to its old ways. So that's disappointing.

But at least I will pass emissions and have a clear conscience regarding my carbon footprint...
Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
And that's worth it all I'm going to have to follow your route soon, hopefully sans the misery with the Catco garbage
Old 07-31-2008, 03:37 PM

09 E350
Gents:
If your car needs a cat, you have two choices, and the way you go should be dictated by how long you plan on keeping the car:

1. Mercedes original cat: Very high quality, plenty of catalyst (platinum), will last a very long time if the engine is kept in good tune (no excess fuel, good O2 sensor, etc. Perfect fit, no issues. Car will pass inspection for years with no problems. Biggest downside: very pricey.

2. Aftermarket (magnaflow, others): very small cats, little precious metal, and this is reflected in the price. Can also cause the engine to run slightly hotter because the cats are smaller (tops of pistons will be hotter). Will get you through inspection for probably two years (or one inspection if your state does emissions every other year). The plus is that they are relatively cheap, and if you are not keeping the car, why would you drop a ton of money on a cat.

So, just know this going in and you'll be fine. Anyone selling you a cat for significantly less than the price of the original equipment cat, as purchased from Mercedes, not some online mystery shop, is selling you a cat that will not last as long. This is fine if you are not keeping your car, but remember that with exhaust, you get what you pay for.

Hth.

Raymond Lombardo
Greater Washington Section

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need quick catalytic converter help pls!!