E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Gotta sell the 300E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 W204 C350
Gotta sell the 300E

Hey guys, I need to sell my 300E, do you have any recommendations on where the best place to get exposure is?

I just posted a classifieds ad on here last night, no takers so far.

What do you guys think about Craigslist? Autotrader?

BTW, I never was able to post pics of my car when I first joined the forum. If you're interested, I posted some pics in the classified section.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:46 AM

1992 300E
I'd say Craiglist.
It varies from area to area, but Craigslist seems to be more popular than Autotrader in the US
Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
I'd say Craiglist.
It varies from area to area, but Craigslist seems to be more popular than Autotrader in the US
I second that. Craigslist is the best here in Chicago and it will get you a ton of exposure and it is free. You can't beat it. I sold my last car in less than 48 hrs using CL and then turned around and found my 320 on there. The only thing is you gotta put up with some serious low ballers but other than that it is great
Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Hi

Lowballer here. I don't mean no harm. As a matter of fact, just ignore me as a byproduct of exposure.

Craigslist and or ebay can put your car in front of more buyers than we've probably ever been able to reach before. If it doesn't sell in a month on Craigslist, you may be asking too much. (And the lowballers were not as far out of line as sellers assume)

Last edited by RHW; 09-22-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:48 PM

1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by RHW
Hi

Lowballer here. I don't mean no harm. As a matter of fact, just ignore me as a byproduct of exposure.

Craigslist and or ebay can put your car in front of more buyers than we've probably ever been able to reach before. If it doesn't sell in a month on Craigslist, you may be asking too much. (And the lowballers were not as far out of line as sellers assume)
except the ones that will offer you $500.00 and there will be a bunch of them.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
Yep, Craigslist is by far the best place to list it.

Totally true about the low-ballers though. No reason to take offense to their offers. Just tell them hell no. I sold my wife's Jeep Wrangler on there to a guy in Portland. He comitted to buying it before he even saw the thing. It sold in 2 days.

But I had another guy come out who seemed really interested. He test drove the car, I disclosed all of the known problems, etc. Blue book was $3,500. We get out of the car and start talking and he was like: "Well my wife and I are looking for a car for our 16 year old daughter, and we were thinking of something more in the range of $1k". That kind of pissed me off. Not because of the low offer, but because he completely wasted my time... I set time aside to meet him and test drive the car, and then he asks for less than 1/3 of blue book. Pretty inconsiderate.

I told the guy no thanks!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:56 PM

1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by Bigpete123

Totally true about the low-ballers though. No reason to take offense to their offers. Just tell them hell no. I sold my wife's Jeep Wrangler on there to a guy in Portland. He comitted to buying it before he even saw the thing. It sold in 2 days.

But I had another guy come out who seemed really interested. He test drove the car, I disclosed all of the known problems, etc. Blue book was $3,500. We get out of the car and start talking and he was like: "Well my wife and I are looking for a car for our 16 year old daughter, and we were thinking of something more in the range of $1k". That kind of pissed me off. Not because of the low offer, but because he completely wasted my time... I set time aside to meet him and test drive the car, and then he asks for less than 1/3 of blue book. Pretty inconsiderate.

When you get the guys like that just give it right back to them by saying "you know now that I think about it the price just went up $2000.00" see how he likes it. Or you could be cool about it like BigPete. Make sure you put pics up the first post or you will get a 100 e-mails asking you to post them, fills up your inbox in a hurry. Post your post when you post it would be cool to see it.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Originally Posted by GEDaggett
Post your post when you post it would be cool to see it.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
That post he posted wasnt that hard to understand. All he was saying in the post he posted was for stephen to post a post posting his post when he decides to post it on craigslist.

See?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:58 PM

1994 E320

Craigslist is the way to go, sold my Honda Passport in 2 days! I got my asking price as well!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:16 PM

1992 300E
I bought my E320 on Craigslist
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 PM

1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
That post he posted wasnt that hard to understand. All he was saying in the post he posted was for stephen to post a post posting his post when he decides to post it on craigslist.

See?
that is exactly what I was saying to say to be said. Thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
i'll buy your car. i am out of the country, but i can send you a money order which we will put into escrow. once the money is transferred i can organize for the car to be shipped to me to my country. i can pay you $500 over your price due to this process. thank you.

not really, but you'll probably get one or two similar e-mails in response to your craigslist ad... just ignore them
craigslist is the best way to sell a car, especially an older one. I've bought and sold every car i've owned using it.... good luck!