E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Soundproofing w124 better?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Soundproofing w124 better?

Has anybody here ever tried to soundproof your cars better?

The w124 is reasonably quiet....what else could we do to make it even more silent?

I heard somewhere that putting soundproofing mat below the hood pad makes a big difference. I'm probably going to do that when I get round to putting my new hood pad on because I gotta put it back on anyway.

What about putting some Dynomat or something similar behind the door panels?
Any other ideas of where most noise seeps through?

Last edited by ps2cho; 10-15-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
i rode around with no front floormats (the foam ones under the regular mats) when i was in the middle of putting in my stereo, and i was surprised by how much noise came through... the foam blocks most of the sound, but i would say if you could dynamat the floor as much as possible it would help a lot...
for the hood, see if you can get that dynamat foam spray stuff, supposedly it stands up well to heat and what have you... never actually seen it in action though. i think if you could somehow get more soundproofing on the firewall it would help more than under the hood...
The following users liked this post:
andrew190e (05-16-2024)
Old 10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
My 89 Coupe has thick and or double dynamat EVERYWHERE below the windows, doors, below seats, everywhere.

Car is unbelievably quiet. But it was before all that work too.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
I think for now I'll start with some dynomat or another cheaper brand's hood liner. I will then put my OEM Benz hood pad over the top of it so it doesn't look corny and I ensure that my paint is protected fully from the heat.

From there maybe I'll go to the driver/passenger floors.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
Dynamat is WAY overpriced. I used Second Skin Audio's damplifier pro:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibra...lifier-pro.php

Do not get the asphalt/tar-based stuff. It smells and it doesn't hold up as well.

I know that some years of 124's have more sound-proofing than others. I know I came across a lot of factory soundproofing materials when I was doing my installation. For example, on the driver and passenger floors, there was this rubbery/plastic molded material with foam underneath it. I had to tear that stuff out and scrape all of the foam off of the sheet metal floor before applying the damplifier.

Do research on this topic. But the one biggest piece of advice I can give you is this: Make sure you get a good bond directly on sheet metal. This stuff works by reducing the vibration of the metal interior pieces of yoru car. Sound passes into the cabin through the sheet metal due to vibration.

Your car is old, so there will be grime and other crud you have to clean off before proceeding.

It's a tedious process, but don't cut corners. Make sure you carefully keep track of all of the interior pieces that you have to take out of your car so that you don't break or lose anything.

By far, the most vast improvement I have noticed was from putting two layers of damplifier pro on the floor... this required me to pull out the seats and everything.

The silly thing is that I went through all of this trouble, but the biggest improvement I could've made for noise would've been to go back to my stock rims and tires... low profile tires cause much more noise. But I like the way they look so what are you gonna do!?

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Stay away from the overpriced brands as Bigpete123 said, I'd recommend Elemental Designs eDead dampening material. At only $1 per sqft you can't go wrong, and they have other versions as well. ED used to have a tar based composition but that has changed to butyl compound, so your good to go!

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=51
Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
butyl... that's right. I was trying to remember the name of that.

Don't get anything unless it's butyl based. Other than that, thickness and weight are the only things you should use to determine which is better... obviously, more thickness and more weight = better.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:59 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Big Pete is right on here- also w the comment about wheels.

I am running comfort (quiet) treads on 15s on the new Cab and it is notably quieter / softer than the 17s and 18s.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM

300TE, 300CE
TE cabin noise

The noise that comes from the back of the TE is what bugs me, in comparison to the sedans. It's a lower frequency "boomy" kind of sound, that really seems to echo in our large wagon cabins.

If I were to attack that, I would apply the sound mat in the spare tire and the washer fluid reservoir wells, and then pull the covering over the rear wheels and the covering over the center floor. And then under the carpet under the second row bench seats.

Have fun