E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Something wicked this way comes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Something wicked this way comes

Trouble comes in threes, I guess. If I wasn't so sentimentally attached to this car, I'd take it down to the river, shoot it with a Desert Eagle and push it into the water. And yes I did such a thing when I was younger, but they made me pay to haul it back out.

First the blower motor is screeching, trying to die...taxing the old blower motor relay, which may or may not click back on. Then the door alarm is going off on the driver's door every time I unlock the vehicle. And last, but not least, the rear diver's side window (today) decided not to roll all the way back up.

I found some good links to the last problem in here. It seems to be the consensus that the actual door motor itself is very long lived and it's either a problem with the door regulator or the regulator channel needs lube. I've tried just to lift/push the window closed while working the switch with no avail. It stops about two inches from the top every time...just like it was programed to. Vexing little bast@$d. If I could just get it back up without taking the door apart, I'd be ecstatic.

All of which I'd tackle gladly if only I had a semi-heated garage space. I consider the window event the worst affront, because they'll use that to gain access to my stereo system. I have to park in the street too, which exacerbates the problem.

Well, I say "gladly" tentatively....if I remember correctly, the blower motor requires the dash to come out? And if so, I'd be going after all those vacuum pots as well in there that work the HVAC system. My idea to 'limp' through winter isn't panning out very well.

Oi, vai iz mir! I though God watched over fools & children??

Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 01-05-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: omission
Old 01-06-2009, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd

Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic
what lang is that?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
The blower motor is in front of the firewall. Open the hood and where the grills on the cowling are around the wiper assembly. It is under there. First remove the two gutters that go to the drains. Then remove the lower trim at the windshield. There are two versions both pull up but the older ones need to be pried up to prevent bending. The newer is just rubber. Then remove the screw holding the grills down. There is a piece at the back of the engine that has two knobs. Unscrew these and there are two more screws behind that panel. Most Everything else is pretty obvious. The wiper assembly comes out and then the blower has an upper cage that has some pretty easy retainers. The regulator is under the blower.
The rear window regulators do go out and cost an absurd amount of money now. You can buy a whole car on craigslist for retail on one of these babies.
The alarm is easy. Just unplug the thing. It is under the passenger floor carpet, in front.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by berti_00
what lang is that?
Yiddish.....or, If I keep doing the same things (stupidly) over and over-A nahr bleibt a nahr

Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic wagon
Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
this would be the perfect thread title for a zorro/berti photoshoot...
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by whipplem104
The blower motor is in front of the firewall. Open the hood and where the grills on the cowling are around the wiper assembly. It is under there. First remove the two gutters that go to the drains. Then remove the lower trim at the windshield. There are two versions both pull up but the older ones need to be pried up to prevent bending. The newer is just rubber. Then remove the screw holding the grills down. There is a piece at the back of the engine that has two knobs. Unscrew these and there are two more screws behind that panel. Most Everything else is pretty obvious. The wiper assembly comes out and then the blower has an upper cage that has some pretty easy retainers. The regulator is under the blower.
The rear window regulators do go out and cost an absurd amount of money now. You can buy a whole car on craigslist for retail on one of these babies.
The alarm is easy. Just unplug the thing. It is under the passenger floor carpet, in front.
Ahhh...that doesn't sound so bad-being accessible from the firewall! I can do that on a warmer day. But, I see two Bosch blower models available for the same car. That's going to be dicey, getting to it, seeing what it is and then ordering. Hmmmmmm.....

Excellent on disarming that turd alarm system, thank you!

The window regulator sounds just....awful. I guess I'll sleaze around and try to find some salvage thing for now. What a crock....what the hell is it made of, iridium???

Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
this would be the perfect thread title for a zorro/berti photoshoot...
Why thank you, that's succinct, to the point and helps me much with my troubleshooting issues.

Yeah, I've wandered through many a 'zorro' post, not impressed and how exactly does that pertain; other than you wanting to say that?

Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic
Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
deal with it.
i can help you troubleshoot learning how to create a signature so you don't have to type

"Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic"

every time you post
Old 01-06-2009, 01:23 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
deal with it.
i can help you troubleshoot learning how to create a signature so you don't have to type

"Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic"

every time you post
Yes, I'm sure there's a sig thing to do. I haven't taken the time to figure it out. If you wanna help fine, if not, you "deal with it". Attitude is a loser's preamble to nowhere in particular.

Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic
Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Attitude is a loser's preamble to nowhere in particular.
truer words were never spoken. luckily you didn't give anyone any, huh?

Why thank you, that's succinct, to the point and helps me much with my troubleshooting issues.

Yeah, I've wandered through many a 'zorro' post, not impressed and how exactly does that pertain; other than you wanting to say that?
just FYI, threads usually meander slightly here, since most of us 'e-know' each other pretty well at this point. expect more random posts in your threads in the future, and apologies in advance on behalf of my friends and i for the aggravation this will be sure to cause you. personally, i will do my best to not comment in any thread you start. anyway, good luck with your issues.

ZedStyle
'95 E320
Old 01-06-2009, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo

Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic

Oooooooh, good thing I never set out in life to impress n00bs with a penchant for run-on sentences.

Enjoy your stay here, we are super friendly to insulting, desert eagle-toting know-it-alls.

ZorroAMG
'90 Better than yours.

Last edited by ZorroAMG; 01-06-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: moar hilarity
Old 01-06-2009, 02:20 AM

1985 500SEC AMG, 1995 E320 Wagon
I got a rear window regulator for a 300 (won't fit my 320) on ebay for $50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Old 01-06-2009, 02:22 AM

1985 500SEC AMG, 1995 E320 Wagon
I have a Zorro costume I enjoy wearing on the weekends. Maybe ZorroAMG would like to get together with me and 'swordfight'.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:07 AM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Trouble comes in threes, I guess. If I wasn't so sentimentally attached to this car, I'd take it down to the river, shoot it with a Desert Eagle and push it into the water. And yes I did such a thing when I was younger, but they made me pay to haul it back out.

First the blower motor is screeching, trying to die...taxing the old blower motor relay, which may or may not click back on. Then the door alarm is going off on the driver's door every time I unlock the vehicle. And last, but not least, the rear diver's side window (today) decided not to roll all the way back up.

I found some good links to the last problem in here. It seems to be the consensus that the actual door motor itself is very long lived and it's either a problem with the door regulator or the regulator channel needs lube. I've tried just to lift/push the window closed while working the switch with no avail. It stops about two inches from the top every time...just like it was programed to. Vexing little bast@$d. If I could just get it back up without taking the door apart, I'd be ecstatic.

All of which I'd tackle gladly if only I had a semi-heated garage space. I consider the window event the worst affront, because they'll use that to gain access to my stereo system. I have to park in the street too, which exacerbates the problem.

Well, I say "gladly" tentatively....if I remember correctly, the blower motor requires the dash to come out? And if so, I'd be going after all those vacuum pots as well in there that work the HVAC system. My idea to 'limp' through winter isn't panning out very well.

Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic
Mentally and monetarily attached is a common "sickness" we share.

If you're sure the motor's making the noise, you should buy a replacement and a regulator while your at it and prepare to spend a day for R&R. The difficulty is R&R the fan cages. I actually have a brush replacement kit that I've not needed yet.

You might check the door switch elect connector that's housed in the plastic plug (largest one) on the end of the door. I've had to disable an alarm many years ago not finding the cause.

I've never had a window motor and regulator fail, it was usually the switch or wiring at the motor. Since yours seems to work until full closure, the regulator could be miss-aligned causing the glass to bind in the track. That could lead to motor failure if not fixed. The two door failure also supports what I was told recently in that the switches are connected diagonally. First troubleshooting the windows is switching the switches with known good switchs. In your case the passenger and rear left. If they are good you'll have to pull the door panels which is not difficult. The only difficulty is pulling it up hard enough without breaking the clips.

Good luck and hope you don't need the "Desert Eagle" for this car...
Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG

Kevin
'92 300TE 4matic
I've had to replace many of the things you list above. Window regulator, blower motor and relay...IIRC, the dash did not come out - access was near the firewall inside the engine compartment.

BTW, if you tax the blower motor too much, it can cause an electrical fire....I 'caught' mine as smoke was starting to come through the vents. Instead of a blower motor, I had to pay for the replacement of the relay as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
I don't think the blower motor relay exists......from what I understand its climate control unit to blower motor REGULATOR then to the motor windings So don't go nuts looking for relays unless of course I'm wrong on this...

Appatula
86' 300E Sedan
Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Chappy
I've had to replace many of the things you list above. Window regulator, blower motor and relay...IIRC, the dash did not come out - access was near the firewall inside the engine compartment.

BTW, if you tax the blower motor too much, it can cause an electrical fire....I 'caught' mine as smoke was starting to come through the vents. Instead of a blower motor, I had to pay for the replacement of the relay as well.
You're probably right - I just knew 2 things had to be replaced due to my failure to have it addressed sooner rather than later.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by Chappy
You're probably right - I just knew 2 things had to be replaced due to my failure to have it addressed sooner rather than later.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 PM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by appatula
I don't think the blower motor relay exists......from what I understand its climate control unit to blower motor REGULATOR then to the motor windings So don't go nuts looking for relays unless of course I'm wrong on this...

Appatula
86' 300E Sedan
I read that it's in the screwed down portion of the plastic box that also houses the replaceable fuses. I think I got that out of my owner's manual. Anyway, I need to go in there and see. Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 11:36 PM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
Oooooooh, good thing I never set out in life to impress n00bs with a penchant for run-on sentences.

Enjoy your stay here, we are super friendly to insulting, desert eagle-toting know-it-alls.

ZorroAMG
'90 Better than yours.
Insult away, good luck with that acting career BTW, as I'm sure you'll be a household icon real soon.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 PM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
truer words were never spoken. luckily you didn't give anyone any, huh?

just FYI, threads usually meander slightly here, since most of us 'e-know' each other pretty well at this point. expect more random posts in your threads in the future, and apologies in advance on behalf of my friends and i for the aggravation this will be sure to cause you.

ZedStyle
'95 E320
Some alpha dogs trying to run the show on a technical forum with useless banter, wow, how novel and how helpful.
personally, i will do my best to not comment in any thread you start. anyway, good luck with your issues.
That would actually be wonderful, thank you in advance for your lack of attendance.

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 01-06-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: moreinfo
Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Insult away, good luck with that acting career BTW, as I'm sure you'll be a household icon real soon.
Awwww...cute he STILL writes in run-ons.....

Go away, Troll, you aren't going to get much help around here with your attitude.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Some alpha dogs trying to run the show on a technical forum with useless banter, wow, how novel and how helpful.
personally, i will do my best to not comment in any thread you start. anyway, good luck with your issues.
That would actually be wonderful, thank you in advance for your lack of attendance.
dude, i left you alone, how about stfu already?
i am not an alpha dog, and i am not trying to run the show with useless banter. i just made a comment in one of your threads that apparently created a wrinkle in your rectum. it caused you no harm, but because you decided to make mountains out of molehills, your thread is now VERY far off base, which is ironic.
as for my lack of attendance, I read the title of this thread, commented on it becuase that was the first thing i thought of when i saw it, and would have then proceeded to search/research your issues and post some help, which is exactly what i did in your OTHER thread, in which i was trying to help you solve your door alarm issue. your menstrual flow scuttled that possibility here quick-fast. and anyway, read your original post, it's one long complaint, and you only ask one question.
you have a serious attitude problem, and while this is primarily a technical forum, i find it very hard to believe that you do not see that there is a VERY strong social aspect to it as well.
you have now resorted to personally insulting members like zorro who have helped more members in their time here than you have snide comments about.
like i said before, without insulting you, that i will stay out of your threads. but if you feel the need to be rude or insult me, i will keep coming back to address it. your testes wrinkled when i commented on a thread title, i can only imagine the effect it wil have on you when every thread goes 'round the world and back.

Last edited by ZedStyle; 01-07-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
like i said before, without insulting you, that i will stay out of your threads. but if you feel the need to be rude or insult me, i will keep coming back to address it. your testes wrinkled when i commented on a thread title, i can only imagine the effect it wil have on you when every thread goes 'round the world and back.
But you keep coming back anyway and you're "insulting" a hell of a lot more than I ever did. Yeah, I see that there's more here than just technical talk, but I also see competition for exclusivity in a 'country club' type atmosphere. I freely admit that I'm a nobody, but that's a tougher admission for some here.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
Awwww...cute he STILL writes in run-ons.....
You don't even understand what a "run-on" sentence is. But your buddy here is a complete master of it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Something wicked this way comes