E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Should a 300E be able to beat a 4cyl civic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Been done in a coupe. Was sexy!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
I prefer to have the car that you would least expect to be able to blow the doors off someone and keep it looking stock with enough muscle under the hood to put Lou Ferrigno to shame. The ultimate sleeper is my game. Everybody laughs at the track when a vw bug or an 88 plymouth voyager roasts some gear head in his 5.0 mustang. My project to be is an early model miata with an engine transplant and a supercharger. It will look as stock as the day it rolled off the line (except the roll bars and rims). Blasting those good ole american muscle cars in a tiny little rocket has got to be one of the funniest and most fun things in the world. Plus for"most" American car handling is usually very poor and hard to so any thing with.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Mercedes 260E
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd
I'll give you the the fact that Hollywood is notorious for getting their facts wrong, from weapons to cars.

And let me reiterate...taking a production Honda or Toy and pouring money into its innards to make a street racing machine is not an original concept, it's called hotrodding and been going on for over 50+yrs.
im not saying this is something new, I'm from a family who have been modifying cars since the late 50's.

what I cannot grasp is the fact that a Lancer Evo VII and a Skyline GT-R is having trouble at 100mph? what the hell did they do to those cars??? haha

While you might pour thousands to trick out a four cylinder, I would pour thousands to trick out a modern made (better metallurgy) 4 bolt main 426 hemi and drop it into a Challenger, Roadrunner or GTX of old. Since basically we're talking about '***** tingle factor' anyway, for my money when I turn the key over in the hemi, I feel like I really have something of substance. Racing from light to light is one thing, the 1/4 is another. Different strokes for different folks. It's all good in whatever form it takes; the need for speed .

Kevin
"Different strokes for different folks" I just remembered a Sly & Family Stone tune! But this is so true!

Anyway, I choose to go the four cylinder route because of budget limitations, but still wanting to experience the thrill of speed the V8s and other more expensive cars get. Because of practicality and concern of fuel economy, I choose to go the beaten path of a Honda. And this guy has been my inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9wWoR3sBiw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yht4mBJNxtc
http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/tony.html

a street car with steel frame, all glass, complete interior, full exhaust etc.. only lightening was the bumper, hood and fenders (not sure about the fenders though)...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by justinwrock
Anyone want to race?

Okay, I'll bite.

You can run NOS, I'll run my AMG.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
And I'll get out and run next to my car because it is faster that way.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
And I'll get out and run next to my car because it is faster that way.
I had a 1991 300CE (same car as you) that was very fast, once it got up to 40mph or so. I had that car singing in the 140+ range, back in my troubled youth. Thing is....the car was rock-solid stable at that speed.

Now, I keep my bursts of speed mostly on the track. Getting a ticket just isn't sexy....
Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 AM

1989 Mercedes 260E

Anyone want to race?
I'll run you, just no rolling 120mph starts!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:01 PM

1989 Mercedes 260E
Originally Posted by GEDaggett
Blasting those good ole american muscle cars in a tiny little rocket has got to be one of the funniest and most fun things in the world. Plus for"most" American car handling is usually very poor and hard to so any thing with.
I have to agree! Imagine the look on a guy driving a 440 Challenger when he got smoked by a stock looking Hyundai, of all things But in fairness, the Challenger was just mildly modded (Air Cleaner & Headers+Exhaust). He took off the line quicker too and was 2 cars ahead (FWD really sucks esp non LSD ones), but the turbo got him on 3rd gear (80mph upwards). But still, I'd take that car over my past Hyundai or Honda IF given the chance
Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Originally Posted by Chappy
Okay, I'll bite.

You can run NOS, I'll run my AMG.
Hmmm.....

Let me build the turbo setup for the TE, and I am game.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ducati
Originally Posted by batangx
I'll run you, just no rolling 120mph starts!
Why?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Originally Posted by Chappy
I had a 1991 300CE (same car as you) that was very fast, once it got up to 40mph or so. I had that car singing in the 140+ range, back in my troubled youth. Thing is....the car was rock-solid stable at that speed.

Now, I keep my bursts of speed mostly on the track. Getting a ticket just isn't sexy....
I know, I know. I mostly jest. The car has proven to be quite a stellar performer in Autocross and even offroad rally as I have experienced this year so far. I really do wish it had a bit more HP and TQ for me to play with though. I honestly think the M104 from the C36 would be sufficient for my purposes, maybe with some light massaging. I've already scored a front swaybar from the awesome Termite and I'm sourcing the rear right now. I will test these parts out in the coming weeks up here at our Autocross meets.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
a 300E should never be put in a position where it has to beat a civic. it may be old, but it's still a benz, it doesn't mix in those circles
Old 03-24-2009, 03:02 PM

1989 Mercedes 260E
Why?
to give me a chance! cause my little sewing machine powered honda will top out at 135 more or less... maybe less
Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
More hp than a hemi (?), I think not. Dude, I just read an article where they took a crate 426 hemi, added bolt-ons to get 564 hp on the dyno. Then they put in a different cam and some other bolt-ons and got over 600 hp...all on pump gas. Hemi's are legendary for making hp & torque. The racing history for the hemi goes all the way to fuel rail dragsters....what you talkin' bout??

Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
I rather build a 4.6 mod motor but it's too expensive and i don't want a race car either. The w124 is a fwy car and not a race car. If you want to go fast get something else for that. You can build a 2jz-gte and make more hp than the hemi but that's it's still a lot of $$$. Someone just drop a 2jz-gte and a 5 speed on a w124 and go to town...
Old 03-24-2009, 07:34 PM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
The 440 is a dawg, dude. I've seen light Roadrunners with the 383 magnums smoke that engine. I'd like to see the Hyundai 'smoke' a 426 hemi Challenger in the 1/4 (or anything else I'd build for that matter with a 426).

But yeah, the muscle cars were sleds with typically bad brakes. But now they re-tune the suspension for radial tires and fit oversized disk brake all around. There's a lot of modern technology you can put on those cars without showing.

I have to agree! Imagine the look on a guy driving a 440 Challenger when he got smoked by a stock looking Hyundai, of all things But in fairness, the Challenger was just mildly modded (Air Cleaner & Headers+Exhaust). He took off the line quicker too and was 2 cars ahead (FWD really sucks esp non LSD ones), but the turbo got him on 3rd gear (80mph upwards). But still, I'd take that car over my past Hyundai or Honda IF given the chance
Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 PM

1989 Mercedes 260E
More hp than a hemi (?), I think not. Dude, I just read an article where they took a crate 426 hemi, added bolt-ons to get 564 hp on the dyno. Then they put in a different cam and some other bolt-ons and got over 600 hp...all on pump gas. Hemi's are legendary for making hp & torque. The racing history for the hemi goes all the way to fuel rail dragsters....what you talkin' bout??
what's it with you and your American V8 loving mind? It's one thing to adore them, it's another thing to 'bash' on other people's preferences. Yes, the Hemi V8 is an icon, yes it is powerful, yes it responds well to mods. But it is NOT the only engine that can do such things. straight/inline 4s and 6s with less than half the displacement can output the same as the Hemi, with also the same modifications.

As European cars and Japanese cars have proven time and time again, THERE IS INDEED A REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 PM

1989 Mercedes 260E
The 440 is a dawg, dude. I've seen light Roadrunners with the 383 magnums smoke that engine. I'd like to see the Hyundai 'smoke' a 426 hemi Challenger in the 1/4 (or anything else I'd build for that matter with a 426).

But yeah, the muscle cars were sleds with typically bad brakes. But now they re-tune the suspension for radial tires and fit oversized disk brake all around. There's a lot of modern technology you can put on those cars without showing.
Well, its sold already. But I think it could run in the high to mid (at best) 12s with a better driver, LSD, harder suspension and grippier tires. If yours can run lower than that, then good for you! You've managed to beat a stock block and stock head Korean econo car with a measly 2.0L using 6.9L or 7.0L of V8muscle! Vrooom! LOL

But in reality, I want the Hemi too because it performs well and has more character (given the right choice of body). But if all out streetable performance is priority (drag, circuit, auto-x, rally, etc) I'd still go Euro or Jap

Last edited by batangx; 03-24-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
To tell you the truth, I'm a ford guy. I've never really been into rice rockets until I saw what a 2jz-gte can do. They come with 300hp stock with twin turbos. If you want to talk about bolt-ons just do a bigger single turbo conversion and you'll be at 600hp. I have a 5.0 HO roller with gt40 heads ported and polished on a 69 mustang and that's only 300hp at the wheels but tons of torque. It's all about weight and most dodge cars are very heavy. A 427 is a heavy *** engine and but there's no way to change your mind so i'll leave it at that.

Let's leave bench racing off these forums.. I'm just saying i to the 2jze-gte
Old 03-25-2009, 02:50 AM

1989 Mercedes 260E
yup sorry for the off-topic post... got carried away, it's pretty rare a m103 w124 is talked about in terms of performance... people who deal with performance usually go to the AMGs... with the exemption of some skilled, talented, eccentric (in my opinion, just kind of) people like RBYCC and S500-R... just to name a few
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Hmmm ... I never had any problems with Civic's with my current and old W124?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 190e
I'm hoping to find a 2jz-gte or anyting from a skyline... rb20, or ideally a rb25. Honestly I wouldn't complain with any twin-turbo I-6 in a benz.

Either that or a custom supercharger setup. But swapping an engine seems to be less complicated in the sense of electrical/engine problems.

Hope I'm not too late on this but I'd like to throw in that if I had the money, I wouldn't be driving a 20yr old benz... It would be a 40yr old Camaro SS!!! Sure there are ricers that will make more power, go faster, handle better, but they're all 1 of millions. A classic muscle car is 1 in millions, if ya'll get what I mean. I guess it's just the prestige, heritage, symobolism, and a bunch of other cool words that come with owning a car that you may consider "elite" lol

Someone said earlier that the hemi is an icon... well put
Old 03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
But swapping an engine seems to be less complicated in the sense of electrical/engine problems.
It depends on how you go about doing it. I would think you would run standalone ignition and fuel systems.

I want to see a hemi car go up against a boss 429 cammer engine. I have a 460 sitting at home but i don't know what to do with it yet ( for sale maybe ). If i find some b9 heads i'm going to convert it into a boss 429 engine.

BTW, If you buy a muscle car, there's a 50/50 chance you get divorced...lmao
Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
You're taking a big leap here, dude. I said earlier, 'Different strokes for different folks." Tricked out rice burners aren't the end-all cars. They are a great alternative today for buying production cars and getting into street racing fairly fast and inexpensively. Nothing wrong with that at all. But in reviewing all the fastest cars in the world, especially exotic, they tend to be V-8's, V-10's and V-12's. So for me, that's an ideal, not a 4cyclinder anything.

So actually, I'm not at all loyal to just American V-8's. But I'm not going to let a statement pass that you can build more hp out of a 4 cylinder than a hemi. That just doesn't make any sense. Maybe they were trying to talk about weight/hp ratios...I dunno.

Kevin

what's it with you and your American V8 loving mind? It's one thing to adore them, it's another thing to 'bash' on other people's preferences. Yes, the Hemi V8 is an icon, yes it is powerful, yes it responds well to mods. But it is NOT the only engine that can do such things. straight/inline 4s and 6s with less than half the displacement can output the same as the Hemi, with also the same modifications.

As European cars and Japanese cars have proven time and time again, THERE IS INDEED A REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Dude, you have to compare 'apples to apples' . If I was going to get serious about big block engines and weight to hp ratios I would opt for a aluminum 426 hemi for example. I have no doubt that this 2jz-gte engine you keep raving about is an incredible weight to hp ratio engine. I was just saying I 'prefer' big blocks, but added that exotic V-12's are even more interesting to me, especially amidship.

I've seen the car shows where the rice rockets beat the old muscle cars in the 1/4. But while the rice rockets were tricked out, not much if anything was done to the muscle cars. And so if we're going to compare modern rice burners to anything, why not let them run against exotic production cars? If we're just talkin' about speed and who is the fastest without being incredibly modified.....

Kevin

Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
To tell you the truth, I'm a ford guy. I've never really been into rice rockets until I saw what a 2jz-gte can do. They come with 300hp stock with twin turbos. If you want to talk about bolt-ons just do a bigger single turbo conversion and you'll be at 600hp. I have a 5.0 HO roller with gt40 heads ported and polished on a 69 mustang and that's only 300hp at the wheels but tons of torque. It's all about weight and most dodge cars are very heavy. A 427 is a heavy *** engine and but there's no way to change your mind so i'll leave it at that.

Let's leave bench racing off these forums.. I'm just saying i to the 2jze-gte
Old 03-27-2009, 12:49 AM

If you play your cards right you can beat that little Rice Burner no problem. I would feel confident beating a Civic with my 300E 24v. I know FOR SURE I'd beat it; like I said.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should a 300E be able to beat a 4cyl civic?