E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

start up issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 MB 300CE w/5 speed
start up issue

First, I guess I'll introduce since this is my first post.

I'm Duane and just purchased a 91 300CE while I'm living in Italy. Car is in decent shape but has a slight starting issue, sometimes. Inline 6 with 5 speed.

First thing in the morning, it'll start right up when cold, whats to idle a little low till warm (around 500 rpm) but once it warms up it idles fine (700 rpm).

After it sits for a few hours if I go out to start it, still warm but hasn't ran in 3-4 hours, it might start the first time, and stall but will require numerous attempts of cycling the ignition and having the few pump come on and off, it'll start. Then it'll idle like crap for about 5 minutes and want to stall when pushing in the clutch and coming to stop/slowing.

But once its been running and I stop for 5-15 minutes or so, it'll start tight up.

I've read a bit about the OVP, not sure what this is but assume its an Over Voltage Protection? Where would it be located? Also, air bypass? Not sure where its is either.

I'm planning on ordering a English version manual, but don't have one as it stands now.

The lady I bought it from took very good mechanical care of the car so I am leaning to beleive what she said about just having the fuel system tuned up, she had oil, filter boxes, numerous replacement parts in the trunk also.

Thanks,
Duane
Old 04-03-2009, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
The OVP is red and sits behind the electrical cover behind the battery. Check the fuses on it before replacing it...If the fuses are good it "might" be okay, but if you are really suspect about it then replace it. It usually causes straight stalling over low stumbling RPM's though.

Warm start problems can indicate a bad fuel accumulator...Although the only way to test it is via use of a CIS fuel pressure gauge. You should also replace the fuel filter if you haven't already or has no history of it/suspect. Check all of the idle air hoses on the car. If they are hard, then replace them. A very common thing on the M103. Next I would unbolt the idle control valve and shoot some carb cleaner into it (two bolts easy to pop off) to make sure its all okay before doing any major spending.

YGPM on the manual

Last edited by ps2cho; 04-03-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 MB 300CE w/5 speed
thanks for the info. I'll check that stuff out this weekend.

See your in SOCAL, nice, I'm down in San Diego (Lemon Grove), via Italy though.