E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Problems with my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Problems with my car

I have a 1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Its my first car
But it has some problems
If you guys could help with them:
-The speedometer does not work. The other gauges do work.
-Only some of the buttons in the dash work and there is little light. The previous owner installed a radio in the dash, he added a wire that is connected to the radio that is connected to 2 fuses.
-The heater/air conditioner does not work
-The sun roof has a very hard time closing and needs assistance to close.
-Other automated things have a hard time moving also.
-The belt squeaks (I have added belt dressing but it didn't help)
-The battery dies (Its new)

Things we have done:
-We added a new radiator
-We put in new spark plugs
-We added fluids to it
-We added a new battery

Also does anyone know where I can get its owners and repair manual.

Sorry for having so many problems, its my first car and me and my brother can't figure out how to fix these problems.

If you can give any advice as to how fix these problems I would be thankful
Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
A lot of your electrical issues sound like they may be attributed to a bad alternator.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Check the voltage at the battery terminals with the car on and off. That will tell you if the alternator is not charging. You sure you don't just have something draining it?

To resolve the speedometer, first check the cable is still attached...Use a coathanger either side of the instrument cluster and use it to pull it out. Make sure the cable is screwed on all the way. If it is, you may want to check where it attaches at the transmission.

Replace all the fuses in the fuse box. Its under $10 for like 40 and over time they crack and can cause lots of electrical malfunctions.

Are you saying the heater AND the A/C do not work altogether? Do the fans work when you turn them on economy?

The bulbs in the console sometimes go dim or just die over time, I have the same problem in my 260E and I need to replace them.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM

1994 E320
Originally Posted by ps2cho
Check the voltage at the battery terminals with the car on and off. That will tell you if the alternator is not charging. You sure you don't just have something draining it?

To resolve the speedometer, first check the cable is still attached...Use a coathanger either side of the instrument cluster and use it to pull it out. Make sure the cable is screwed on all the way. If it is, you may want to check where it attaches at the transmission.

Replace all the fuses in the fuse box. Its under $10 for like 40 and over time they crack and can cause lots of electrical malfunctions.

Are you saying the heater AND the A/C do not work altogether? Do the fans work when you turn them on economy?

The bulbs in the console sometimes go dim or just die over time, I have the same problem in my 260E and I need to replace them.

I would start with fuses and see if it resolves some of your problems (great suggestion ps2cho)! I replaced all of them last week and cleaned the fuse box and connectors (corrosion), since it was giving me troubles with sunroof, wipers, windows at times. No problems since fuse replacement. Good luck MBleetcar!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 PM

E430 (W210) ; E420 (W124) ; S 500 (W140) ; C230 (W202)
If you have to remove instrument cluster this is the info you will need
http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W124InstCluster
Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Squeeling may come from the 3" pulleys, you can isolate the noise source with a mechanics stethoscope. Make sure they have a cap on them as they will dry out. Check the belt tension. It could also be the alternator bearing depending on how much mileage is on your car.

Lube the sunroof track...