E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Shock's need replacing maybe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Shock's need replacing maybe?

I am getting some major tire screeching hits on the freeway in my 260E.

Does this look like a tread pattern to you guys? Thats the inside of the wheelarch @ the top.

The car has almost no side-roll and is rock solid...but going over bumps...it feels like a boat and the front bumper hits on dips in the road.

On the freeway very occasionally it will hit really hard like last week. I just don't feel comfortable any more on the freeway with her.

Does this seem like a worn out shock? Is there any way to test exactly?

---

If it IS the shocks, what are my options? The rears seem fine, so should I just stick with OEM? (If I go H&R, then won't I need to do the rears too?)
Or maybe I should drop it at this point front+rear?

Its fine in and out of town, and 95% of the time on the freeway, but any big dips and I feel my heart drop...
Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E420
Sounds to me like the shock is worn out or blown out. One of mine had the same sounds in the rear and I replaced both rear shocks after I bought the car last month. It was leaking fluid that was visible once the tire was off. It was also more stiff when I manually compressed compared to other rear that appeared OK.

You should replace in pairs i.e. both front or both rears but do not have to replace all four IF you stay OEM. Also consider changing the bushings as well since you are in there. They wear out on our heavy W124s. You could check the sway bar also. My was rusting and ready to fall off. Then again the car has been in NJ and MA for its life and not CA so you might be OK.

If you are going to go with H&R and drop, then you will need to do all four.

Last edited by ronmiller609; 06-25-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by ps2cho
I am getting some major tire screeching hits on the freeway in my 260E.

Does this look like a tread pattern to you guys? Thats the inside of the wheelarch @ the top.

The car has almost no side-roll and is rock solid...but going over bumps...it feels like a boat and the front bumper hits on dips in the road.

On the freeway very occasionally it will hit really hard like last week. I just don't feel comfortable any more on the freeway with her.

Does this seem like a worn out shock? Is there any way to test exactly?

---

If it IS the shocks, what are my options? The rears seem fine, so should I just stick with OEM? (If I go H&R, then won't I need to do the rears too?)
Or maybe I should drop it at this point front+rear?

Its fine in and out of town, and 95% of the time on the freeway, but any big dips and I feel my heart drop...
Why ps2cho, I'm shocked!! There is a whole testing procedure on the MB CD for front shocks. Even tells you how to measure for rebound and test the shocks with a bathroom scale. It's right up your alley...

Kevin