E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300 te wagon 4 matic 92 need info buy $600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
300 te wagon 4 matic 92 need info buy $600

My friend will sell me his 92 wagon 4 matic (think its a 300te) for 600 bucks. It has a new engine rebuilt for mb dealer lots of receipts!! Tranny works great and heating system just fixed by mb (blower). Everything on the engine is new. heres what he said is wrong with it. Right rear wheel bearing is bad (making noise), Front sway bar braket broke (bailing wire holding in place), and rear leveling system is stiff. Its got 260,000 miles on the body(highway miles).
First question:
1. Can I get rid of the leveling system?? I heard there is a mod to put springs on the rear??
2. Is it worth it with that many miles? Meaning put money into it?
3. Is the wheel bearing easy. well price to do Bearing?
4. Will my 86 300e parts work as a parts car for the te. Its a salvage title so I dont care if I part it out.

I do all my own work and very smart with mech. and weld. I dont have a lot of money and will be taking a chance in buying it. I need a good commuter and need the all wheel drive.
Please post helpful links and please let me see a pic of ur wagon!!!

Last edited by epowers777; 07-18-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by epowers777
My friend will sell me his 92 wagon 4 matic (think its a 300te) for 600 bucks. It has a new engine rebuilt for mb dealer lots of receipts!! Tranny works great and heating system just fixed by mb (blower). Everything on the engine is new. heres what he said is wrong with it. Right rear wheel bearing is bad (making noise), Front sway bar braket broke (bailing wire holding in place), and rear leveling system is stiff. Its got 260,000 miles on the body(highway miles).
First question:
1. Can I get rid of the leveling system?? I heard there is a mod to put springs on the rear??
2. Is it worth it with that many miles? Meaning put money into it?
3. Is the wheel bearing easy. well price to do Bearing?
4. Will my 86 300e parts work as a parts car for the te. Its a salvage title so I dont care if I part it out.

I do all my own work and very smart with mech. and weld. I dont have a lot of money and will be taking a chance in buying it. I need a good commuter and need the all wheel drive.
Please post helpful links and please let me see a pic of ur wagon!!!
Nobody has a "kit" yet for converting the wagons to regular rear shocks. As we discussed this in here, there are plenty of people willing to try and fabricate something...stay tuned. The actuators are about $150/ea to replace and will most likely fix the self leveling system.

The sway bar bracket is easy to find at the parts houses. Mine was broken and carefully welded back together a few yrs ago-no big deal or 'special' metal concerns etc-just a hunk of metal.

The wheel bearing, depending on your experience with such things will be a little labor intensive, but doable. Check autohaus for parts prices.

Is it worth $600? Of course, but expect systems that haven't been worked on and replaced to have a significant failure rates by now. By wary of the 4matic system, depending on how it's been serviced and what parts (if any) have ever been replaced. For $600, you could budget $3000 into it and still come out ahead....that is if the paint/bodywork and interior are stellar.

OTOH, if you're looking to get into a 'cheap' ride that wears a MB badge, the car most likely will bust your ***** in the long run. Those of us who own the 4matic wagons love the car, in spite of its maintenance cost and shortcomings.

I don't know all the circumstances around the car, but if your friend has paid for all the improvements on the car that you mentioned, I don't see how he can sell it for $600, unless it's been wrecked by an accident. Pulling the "rebuilt" motor out and reselling alone, will be well over $600 and that's just one component.

As far as the mileage goes, it's one of the few gas MB's that was designed for half a million miles with meticulous maintenance....meticulous being the pejorative term.

Kevin
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Excellent post RealShepherd.
I did an evap this spring on my 1990...it's a keeper even if the 4matic system worries me.

Since the OP describes a DEALER engine rebuild, this car may have been dealer maintained, and could have more life in it than initial (mileage) impression would suggest.

Partially, it depends on how well you know or trust the seller. Any doubts? I'd turn tail.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 PM

85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
Im not looking into a cheap car. I drive a 300e!!Im looking for something thats worthe putting money into. My freind works with me at the railroad. He is a welder (boilermaker) He fabricates locomotives that are wrecked. He doesnt wanna work on them so He took everything to the dealer. He just bought a c class benz and will sell the wagon to me for cheap because I work for him. It souunds like its worthe it so Im gonna go look at it. If you know a link for the suspension please share it with me.

Also can I use my 300e for parts or just try to sell it?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 PM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Im not looking into a cheap car. I drive a 300e!!Im looking for something thats worthe putting money into. My freind works with me at the railroad. He is a welder (boilermaker) He fabricates locomotives that are wrecked. He doesnt wanna work on them so He took everything to the dealer. He just bought a c class benz and will sell the wagon to me for cheap because I work for him. It souunds like its worthe it so Im gonna go look at it. If you know a link for the suspension please share it with me.

Also can I use my 300e for parts or just try to sell it?
Look in here for a recent thread about 'riding low suspension' or something like that. You can search as well as I can. There was a link in there (I believe it went to a British author), about replacing the rear accumulators-very detailed, step by step.

Wait...found the link:
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ension+spheres

So if your friend's car has a dealer replaced engine, strong transmission and it's not beat to ****, $600 is a steal....but I think you knew that way before you posted in here. Lots of parts will work off your 300e if it's the same vintage. That might save you even more money. Fan blower, climate controls, gauges, switches, OVP, fuel relay, electric cooling fans, fuel pumps, fuel distributor, etc. Rip those kinds of things off the 300, clean them up and store them in labeled part's bags/bins for the future---that's what I'd do. That way, parts substitution doesn't cost you anything.

The wagon is a choice or a preference-not something to be 'stuck with. Lots of sedan fans wouldn't be caught dead in a wagon, because of the reduce image factor. But the reality of the wagon is that when in good running order, they deliver great mileage and haul anything is style, grace & aplomb. The 4matic system will let you travel anywhere in the world's roads, providing you don't high-center the car and understand that its clearance is limited. The Germans were especially fond of wagons and since it's a 'family' designed vehicle, they made them safety 'tanks'. I won't apologize for their image, but I believe next to your standard bred SUV, they outclass all.

Hell, I'd pay more for your friend's car as a parts car (if it was close), than the $600 you're likely to spend.

Kevin
Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 PM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by RHW
Excellent post RealShepherd.
I did an evap this spring on my 1990...it's a keeper even if the 4matic system worries me.

Since the OP describes a DEALER engine rebuild, this car may have been dealer maintained, and could have more life in it than initial (mileage) impression would suggest.

Partially, it depends on how well you know or trust the seller. Any doubts? I'd turn tail.
Thank you....I think it's one of those deals that we all hear about, but rarely obtain. If it's a 'dealer' rebuilt engine, he can get more than his initial purchase price back, by just selling the motor alone! Although if I were his friend (and gave him that deal), I'd probably be a little pissy about that maneuver. But then I think he knows this already....he's just wanting a nod of approval and a push into the MB wagon crevasse. Long live the 4matic wagon!

Kevin
Old 07-20-2009, 02:23 PM

Got the car its sweet and is clean was able to drive it home. Will post pics later.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:37 AM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Got the car its sweet and is clean was able to drive it home. Will post pics later.
As far as parts compatibility with the sedan, obviously the wagon sheetmetal and glass from the front doors back in unique. The rear door motors may swap. A simple 3rd brake light will take longer to find used simply because the wagon production numbers are lower. The SLS system including the combo power steering pump is also unique to the wagon. I've found variances in the OVP, fuel relay (MAS), electric cooling fans (single or dual) and I believe the fuel pump (single or dual). Interior switches are lit and there is no vacuum gauge in later years.

good find, I just picked up another '88...