E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

electric windows

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 w124 200e
electric windows

hi chaps,

i have a much loved 1989 200e saloon, (w124), with an annoying problem relating to the passenger side front electric window. the window does move up and down with some pursuasion, ie jiggling it up and down with a lever to get it started, but seems to then get stuck at either extreme. it will stay shut not moving on the switch, walk away and come back and then respond to the switch. basically it works in an erratic and random fashion. i have tried new centre consul swithces to no avail.... any ideas......??

thanks

chris.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
It could be possible the window has fallen out of the guide rails inside the door. When it does go up and down, does it go up fast/slow? Does it seem to get stuck after an amount of TIME or a specific PLACE?

Time would indicate the motor is getting tired. Place would indicate guide rails. I can't think of any other reason as you have swapped the switch.

Well...of course there could be the possibility the wire is slightly caught and has frayed causing bad contact at certain points.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:52 AM

mercedes 260e
hi - if the electric window is able to move up and down by using the switch. This indicate it is not the switch is at fault.

I would agree with Ps2cho.

If the window closes erractic and opens erractic then the window regulator is at fault. Some people calls the regulator as the window guide.

Mercedes electric window are held in place by the regulator, while the electric motor moves the regulator up and down.

This is a common fault....old age and rust.

But be careful when you replace the regulator. There are 2 types: plastic or metal. If i can remember, the metal version is more orginial and will hold the window better. While the plastic...is not that good to use.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 AM

1989 w124 200e
hi guys

thanks for your replies, since posting i have removed the inner door card. if i use a lever ie, screwdriver, and lever the regulator down whilst holding the switch, then the window will move under its own steam. it will then operate up and down normally for a while. eventually though it will get stuck at some point in its travel necessitating the lever treatment. when it does move it moves smoothly, and the regulator teeth look in good nick. im starting to suspect the motor itself. also the window does appear to be seated correctly in the respective guides. i love my ole merc but she is exhibiting some odd behaviour, i wont even tell you about the central locking problem............

chris
Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM

1989 w124 200e
latest update

result.........

decided to release the motor wires from the zip ties, had a wiggle about and hey presto one passenger side electric window working perfectly. i pulled the wires as far through the opening as poss which revealed bare wire, i taped up the wires, so hopefully that was the problem. wont put the door card back just yet though.

thanks for your help guys. now its on to the central locking, which is just as infuriating.........!!

chris
Old 09-14-2009, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Glad to hear you found some frayed wires, that may be it. Common deal.

Well if the central locking is bad, it is most likely a vacuum leak. See if you can get a vac gauge on it so you can determine the problem.

I "heard" there is a tool that can determine how far away the problem is so its easier to pinpoint...maybe somebody can pipe in with this one?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 AM

1989 w124 200e
hi,

yeah its another random fault really, i can operate the central locking and i t will open the doors, sometimes, before i have got the key in the ignition it will then lock all the doors, other times i can be 5 miles down the road and then it will lock the doors...!! when i get out after a journey i will shut the doors and it locks itself, i dare`nt leave the keys in the ignition at a filling station or she will lock me out.
i have had a look at the vacuum motor under the rear seat and all looks well, but i dont really know what im looking for. odd sounds do eminate from there at times when getting in and out.
drives my wife nuts, i just say she has personality.........