E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Need some help 92 300ce noob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 300ce
Need some help 92 300ce noob

Ok so heres the deal, my mechanic buddy gave me this absolutely beautiful 92 300ce that ive been drooling over for months.

Im moving and really dont have the time to diagnose any issues with it, it doesnt start as of now, but I want to get it up and at least moving. He told me that he swapped out the EZL with a different one he picked up, put it in and no go as far as it running. He thought it was the wrong model but I verified the numbers on the unit to be a matching compatible one for the 92 model. It could be that the one he got isnt any good as well, but hey it was worth a shot. So it sat for a few months and hasnt started since, the original issue was said to be the ezl but I cant confirm that now, just going by what he thought.

After towing it home I went through it a bit, made sure everything looked good and charged up the battery, tried cranking and whalla didnt start, but I started smelling a strong odor of fuel coming from the car, could be flooding, no? So it cranked, everything works electronically in the car but no zoom. The engine is complete, everything present. Engine, rebuilt in the last two years. Tranny same deal, it was running after the rebuilds.

Now to my question since I gave you a basic outline of whats going on. What are my options for bypassing this piece of junk EZL? I dont want to buy a new one, dont want to fiddle with that crap at all. Im a shade tree mechanic myself and have a few german cars in the stable so I dont want to get rid of this thing, its amazing. I considered a motor swap but I love the straight 6 in it. Ive heard of mega squirt ecu, not really sure how to start such a project because info for these cars is slim to none. So what about a MSD ignition? Cant find any info about that. Heard of the Jacobs before, but cant find any info about that, plus it isnt made anymore. My bud told me there was a way to convert it to coil packs and a way to change the wiring to work but he didnt know how, someone told him about it. Any aftermarket solutions? Im kinda frustrated, I feel lost with this car because I dont know alot about it, ask about my 1.8t and I could tell you anything, projects for that engine are aplenty, only because there are like a million of those out there.

So I need direction, Ive searched a while before signing up here for help from people who actually own this ride. Please help me not sell it by sending me in the right direction! Anything!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
I would start by getting it running before you fiddle with MS. Pull the spark plugs and check the condition of them first.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 PM

92 300ce
Forgot to add, missing IAT intake temp sensor, would this be a reason for not starting? I doubt it but you never know.

Ive decided to sell it anyways since im moving, dont need the headache right now.Anyone want it? Lol

Very little support for these things, no wonder they are destine for the scrap heap...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Little support and little effort go hand in hand
You can always go buy a Honda.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 AM

92 300ce
"Little support and little effort go hand in hand
You can always go buy a Honda."

You obviously have selective reading, Im moving I thought maybe a quick fix, cant take it to the new spot. Hondas are garbage. Like I said will stick with the dubs and audis for now...

if someone wants it, go bid...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_6266wt_1286
Old 04-09-2010, 04:55 AM

92 300ce
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by NaslundGP
I dont want to buy a new one, dont want to fiddle with that crap at all. Im a shade tree mechanic myself and have a few german cars in the stable so I dont want to get rid of this thing, its amazing. I considered a motor swap but I love the straight 6 in it.