E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Transmission stopped shifting-stuck in first

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 300E
Transmission stopped shifting-stuck in first

Our 86 300E approx. 150k (speedo broke at 105k) was shifting a little hard into 2nd since we got her. Today after driving and making a stop, got back in the car and won't shift up anymore. Limped back home real slow.
Does this sound like a computer problem, or just that the trans wore out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Yep...I think you might be out of luck and need a rebuild. These transmissions rarely have issues other than wear on the bands.

First thing is first though, make sure the bowden cable didn't break off in the engine bay and looks like it is functioning properly, then check fluid level (car running fyi). I would usually suggest fluid + filter change, but that won't be the issue so you'd be wasting your time + money.

If you are one lucky person if could have just come unclipped. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:19 PM

86 300E
Originally Posted by ps2cho
Yep...I think you might be out of luck and need a rebuild. These transmissions rarely have issues other than wear on the bands.

First thing is first though, make sure the bowden cable didn't break off in the engine bay and looks like it is functioning properly, then check fluid level (car running fyi). I would usually suggest fluid + filter change, but that won't be the issue so you'd be wasting your time + money.

If you are one lucky person if could have just come unclipped. Fingers crossed!

Just checked the fluid and it's empty. Haven't checked the cable yet, still waiting to get a repair manuel on this model so not sure what to look for and where it is.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Search the threads I've started for "transmission" and you will find a picture. I wouldn't normally think this is something you can fix yourself, but if your fluid is completely empty, you may be able to get off for now with just adding fluid. If that doesn't work, you will have only wasted a few dollars and minutes of your time.

All things considered though, I do think you will need a rebuild. Where are you located?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Forget the cable. Get some fluid in it now. Do not drive it. You A) Need to find out why there is no fluid in it and B) Expect the worst.

You pretty much can't get any worse than giving an engine or transmission no lubrication.

You don't need a manual to fill the fluid. Get the cheapest Dex III you can find (Walmart brand is fine at this point as your tranny could be toast. You can always switch to a better one if it comes back to life although I doubt it now). Fill via the red dipstick at the back of the engine using a funnel.

You will not be able to "rebuild" it. You'll need to get another transmission and possibly have that one rebuilt. Expect $2000-$2500.

I also suggest you check ALL fluids in the car.

Last edited by ps2cho; 04-09-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 PM

86 300E
Forget the cable. Get some fluid in it now. Do not drive it. You A) Need to find out why there is no fluid in it and B) Expect the worst.

You pretty much can't get any worse than giving an engine or transmission no lubrication.

You don't need a manual to fill the fluid. Get the cheapest Dex III you can find (Walmart brand is fine at this point as your tranny could be toast. You can always switch to a better one if it comes back to life although I doubt it now). Fill via the red dipstick at the back of the engine using a funnel.

You will not be able to "rebuild" it. You'll need to get another transmission and possibly have that one rebuilt. Expect $2000-$2500.

I also suggest you check ALL fluids in the car.
Will do, and thanks. Car was a gift so if it needs a transmission I don't think it is worth it.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
It will...sorry! Just being realistic here...

Any chance you'll part anything out?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 PM

86 300E
It will...sorry! Just being realistic here...

Any chance you'll part anything out?
Let me talk to my husband and try the fluid first. Right now is not a good time to talk to him. Not a happy camper at this moment. I will let you know.....as soon as I know