E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

One noisy hydraulic valve lifter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One noisy hydraulic valve lifter

As of recent one of the hydraulic lifters in my M103 engine has been much noisier then the rest, making a very distinct click-click sound. I had replaced all lifters about 4 years ago with new Febi ones (from Randy) because some where at the time loosing pressure while the engine was off, so I was getting a very noisy cold start if the engine had been off for more then a day. After the replacement all was quiet until now.

I have not been able to exactly pinpoint the noisy lifter, but by listening through the valve cover it seems it is one associated with the last three cylinders towards the rear of the engine (firewall), but I can't really be 100% sure which one in particular. Since I had saved the old lifters (even labeled them by their original position), I exchanged the ones of cylinders 4-5-6 (one cyl at a time) with the these in an attempt to find the noisy one, but so far I have not been successful, the noise continues without any change. I am planning to buy a mechanics stethoscope in order to check each lifter with the valve cover off and the engine running. I already did start the engine this way in hopes it would be easier to pinpoint the noisy one, but without the use of a stethoscope this is seemingly impossible, and it starts to get very messy very fast.

In the mean time I wanted to ask if there could be something else responsible for the clicking noise I hear. I assumed it would be a lifter because the noise clearly originates from under the valve cover. Is there anything else I should also check for? I have looked at the cam lobes which all seem o be fine, and all the ball cups that go between the lifter's rounded face and the valve stem are in place. BTW, I've seen these ball cups being sold as 3mm spec, and I wonder if one of mine are worn down and might need to be replaced because of added clearance between the lifter and valve.

Thanks.
-Alex
Old 04-26-2010, 03:51 AM

1992 300e 2.6
my m103 makes the "click click click" for about 5-10 seconds after the car has sat for a day or even sometimes just over night. it never did that until after I did an oil change. "same oil as I always use and same change that has always been done" but this time its different. it worried me for a while but I just let it do it... though I am sure I should not. my oil pressure gauge stopped working around the same time. "it works but is completely random" but my sending unit works fine.... the gauge has been erratic for almost a year now....
I always make sure my oil is topped off. it seems to not make the noise when it is.

"someone told me the clicking is from the oil not staying at the top of the engine causing it to run dry for a few seconds and not to worry about it"
Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 AM

My scenario is different, all lifters but one are quiet, and the clicking noise is constant, not dependent upon oil pressure.

What you describe happens due to some lifters loosing pressure due to internal wear. When you start the engine the lifters rattle for a short time due to temporary additional clearances between the lifter and valve stem, until the oil pressure comes up and the lifters are able to fill the gap due to hydraulic pressure. Lifters are designed to retain pressure for some time, but when worn, clearances allow oil to leak out prematurely. Nothing to do with oil not staying at the top of the engine. Your solution is to replace all lifters and the problem will usually be solved.

It could be a coincidence the fact that your oil pressure gauge readings became erratic at about the same time, but I would have it diagnosed as soon as possible to rule out having a serious oil pump/engine problem. Once you know for sure, you can choose how to deal with it depending on the outcome of the diagnosis. If a problem like this is left unattended, it could seriously shorten the lifespan of your engine.

Last edited by azurite300e; 04-26-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Please lets keep this thread on topic. There is just ONE noisy lifter, and it stays that way throughout engine operation, so nothing to do with oil filter. Please do not confuse this with the problem Cinnyman reported which indeed seems to be related to worn lifters, but that is a different topic.

Thank you.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
I have a single noisey lifter for about 2-3 seconds on a very cold morning. After that no noise. I shouldn't worry about it right? Only when it stays clicking I should be concerned?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ps2cho
I have a single noisey lifter for about 2-3 seconds on a very cold morning. After that no noise. I shouldn't worry about it right? Only when it stays clicking I should be concerned?
Sounds like that one lifter is worn out and is slowly releasing oil pressure once the engine is shut off. Depending on how many miles on your engine, it would probably be no big concern if it is indeed a just a lifter. There are other engine start up noises that sound somewhat similar to a collapsed lifter but are more serious, like timing chain rattle which is very serious. It could be due to stretched chain, or a bad chain tensioner.

In any case you should have it diagnosed asap to have peace of mind.