E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

My Evap removal thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Originally Posted by Arnie
Thank you for the quick reply.

As far as the leak is concerned, in my car the AC system pressure goes from completely charged to completely empty in about 5 hrs, so I am pretty sure I will find the leak quick. I already added some red dye to it, and so far none is visible anywhere where I could see it.

I instected the expansion valve area under the hood, it's all clean. Like I stated earlier, I could hear distinct hissing coming from the dash vents, I have no doubt the evaporator is gone.

You mentioned that Reinz evaporator came in without the valve. Did you end up re-using your old valve or ordered a new one?

I found this online: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...vaporator.html Reinz (they misspelled the name, but the part# matches) lists for around $160, does it sound about right? They say "with valve", but it is pictured without valve, is that what you had too?

What else did you end up replacing desides the evaporator and the heater core?

Thanks again.
I had to buy a separate valve, but that is why the ACM is $50 more than the Reinz...as it comes with the Valve. I have not heard of either brand getting any bad reviews, so either one will work. I was happy with my Reinz one. The site says "with valve", but it is WRONG. That is why I went with Reinz in the first place as it was cheaper, but when I got it...definitely no expansion valve.

I would buy a A/C sniffer and use that to extend into the vent. 5 hours would definitely make an audible hiss, so I'd bet your evap is the culprit, but I would spend the extra $20 and get a sniffer to save you from spending $800+. The reality is once you get far into the job, even if you decided not to do the heater core, pods etc....you will change your mind real quick LOL.

I replaced Evap, Heater core, and pods, expansion valve, drier...and a few burnt out bulbs here and there....but those 4 items altogether come to ~$730.

You MUST replace the expansion valve + drier. You haven't posted if you are r12 or r134a, but I highy recommend back-converting if you can get your hands on some R12.

Last edited by ps2cho; 06-25-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
Mine is a '94, it had R134 from the factory. I don't know about the heater core, I'll inspect it and maybe pessure check it.

Drier? I wasn't planning on doing anything under the hood. I know that AC gurus suggest to replace the drier every time you open the system, but I've never done it before and never had any problems with it. Plus, it is so easy to reach, I can do it any time.

What are the vacuum pods? I know that the whole vacuum operated flaps and everything around them was greatly improved by MBZ in the later years.

I used to have an '86 300e, and I had all kinds of problems with AC controls in that car. This one - haven't had any yet, other then this evap failure.

What manual did you use? I have an access to the Alldata profesional website, hopefully that would do it.

By now I already replaced the upper engine wiring harness, the leaking head gasket, now this. What's next, transmission? My car has 160K miles, and from what I hear, the AT is due to fail any time.

I know, it is a 16-year old car, but still, it is annoying. Well, coule of years ago I switched to Lexuses, so far so good. My 17-years old daughter drive the Benz. I just want it to last one more year.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Oh ok then I wouldn't worry. You only change the dryer if you are changing to a different oil or is exposed to the air for a long time. When you disconnect the expansion valve from the main lines, just seal them and don't worry about the dryer.

Not sure for your tranny...I think you have the 722.5 right?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE / 300E / 300CE
Just wondering if you installed all the o-rings and seals in the bag or were there "extras". How did you distinguish where they all go?
Old 06-26-2010, 02:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
Originally Posted by ps2cho
Not sure for your tranny...I think you have the 722.5 right?
I am not even sure. All I know they last around 150K miles. So far it's been working great, I service it religiously every 30K mi. I've had the car since it had 50K miles, so will see how long it lasts.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by pifcat2
Just wondering if you installed all the o-rings and seals in the bag or were there "extras". How did you distinguish where they all go?
I had like 3-4 left over...some small circles and rectangle shaped ones. I believe they have to be the compressor ones...I see no other place they could be!

I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep the fluid changes on time and pay attention to slippage or slower-than-usual/failure to go into reverse.