E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Advice on purchasing a 300E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None yet
Advice on purchasing a 300E

Our daughter just got her driver's license, and we're looking for a safe, inexpensive used car for her to drive. A local car lot has a 1993 300E 2.8 that's very reasonably priced. It has 240,000 miles, but it appears to be in great condition for a car of that age and mileage. It drives well, doesn't get too hot and everything seems to work.

We're seriously considering purchasing the car, largely because we don't think we'll find a safer car for her in this price range. I'd like to know if there are specific things I should look for on the car (trouble spots, etc.).

Unfortunately there are no service records on the car, but according to autocheck.com it's never been in an accident and has no title issues.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Quite a risk. If it was enthusiast owned and cared for, and it is cheap, then it could be a very worthwhile gamble. However, even when mistreated, these cars can be spit shined to an amazing degree and look like new.

A pre purchase inspection is absolutely critical here.

Do a search of buyer / shopper suggestions, the topic has been covered hundreds of time with long lists/posts/treads.

One theme which is true, is that a cheap Benz can be extremely expensive.

Dollar for dollar, carefully selected cars from this generation can also be an incredible amount of car for the dollar.

When I bought our 17 yr old his first car, I spent $1200 and considered that fully disposable, he put about 15000 miles on it before we bought him a new Hyundai to go away to college. First cars = dents, bumps n bruises. Second car too, but more experienced driver.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 AM

1989 300E
Unlike many of the folks on this forum I just drive my 1989 300E and keep it stock. I do not work on it save for a good scrubing now and then. So my opinion is not mechanically deep.

I bought the car 2 years ago from a neighbor for short money. I bought it as a winter car so I could put away my XK8.

However, I did not look for one. I sort of stumbled upon it because my neigbor was selling it. And only because I knew the history of ownership did I buy it. I did not even want to buy it because of the $$$ stories you hear about fixing these things. And the car has almost 200,000 miles. I finally took it for a test drive and marveled at its ride and solidity. In the interim I had to put in $1000 for muffler and alternator. Post-script I love the car and will keep it 'till its death.

To RHWs point. My youngest (and last) son will not touch the Benz or Jag for his first year of driving (or the Jag ever!). He will use a 1994 Dodge Intrepid purchased from a little old lady for 1G (who drove it 5000 miles a year since new). Lots of sheet metal and it too is disposable. Not fancy...in fact the kids call it "POS", "Deathstar" or "Beast" but it will do the trick...who the heck wants to joy-ride fast in a 1994 Dodge Intrepid.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM

1988 300E - Diamond Blue, 1997 SL320 - Black Opal
Don't be scared off. Have a look at the car and check it out. Although I will say that a 93 300E may not be the best car for a new and young driver. If a repair is necessary they can get expensive, very quickly. If you are on a budget and looking at buying a 'cheap' car to purchase and own and operate, then the Benz may not be the best.

I believe PPI's are over-rated. They are not absolutely critical. I have never bought a car that had a PPI done. I get a feel for the car from driving it or by checking it out at an auction. So do the inspection yourself and also drive it. And while driving it, ignore the fact that it is a Benz - it is merely a car and wipe the smile off of the face. Any niggling issues during the test drive, then walk away from it.

So far, no problems. And no, I have no mechanical training and my skills are limited to oil changes.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Without records and history, I'd pass. At 240K miles the original transmission is getting rather tired. If it's been replaced already - great. But without records, you don't know.

These are great cars, but with a couple of specific problem areas. You need to be sure that all have been addressed. Specifically the head gasket (to fix external oil leaks), engine wiring harness (environmentally friendly insulation decomposes), and throttle actuator (ditto). Probably these have all been addressed - but without records you don't know.

I wouldn't pay much more than $1,000 for this car. You can buy these all day long with 100K fewer miles for $2500. It probably is the safest car you can buy without spending your way into soemthing new enough to have side air bags.

For reference, I own the exact model and year, and perform nearly all the maintenance and repair on it.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Not to be the lone blasphemer here (and I love the W124 as much as anyone), but I should point out that a '93 car (pretty much any '93 car) doesn't meet 1997 side-impact standards, probably wouldn't pass an offset-crash test, etc., etc. If safety is your prime concern, newer probably is better.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Get a PPI !!!
I bought my car without one, and totally regretted it.
The car ran great, and sounded fine. Test drive felt fine, but it very quickly developed problems due to the neglect of maintenance by the PO.
A PPI would have aught several of the problems and either saved me thousands, or given me a better bargaining position.

I would look for a car with service history and less mileage - should be easy to find.
OR if this is the ONE, get a PPI.

Good luck
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
^What the heck is a PPI? Personal Private Investigator?

I still have my 1989 300E (213,000+ on the clock). It runs like a watch for months and I love it for that, but then eventually something will go on it, and after a few hundred bucks you're left wondering why you keep sinking good money into a car worth all of $1000 if you're lucky.

Unfortunately due to monetary circumstances beyond my control, I have little choice but to keep running it for the time being
Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
PPI

Pre
Purchase
Inspection

I like the private investigator option, though.

Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd
^What the heck is a PPI? Personal Private Investigator?

I still have my 1989 300E (213,000+ on the clock). It runs like a watch for months and I love it for that, but then eventually something will go on it, and after a few hundred bucks you're left wondering why you keep sinking good money into a car worth all of $1000 if you're lucky.

Unfortunately due to monetary circumstances beyond my control, I have little choice but to keep running it for the time being