E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

'93 300E "ASR" and limp mode problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Mercedes 300E
'93 300E "ASR" and limp mode problems

Been a long time since I've been here and it's been a long time since I have had a Mercedes. I wasn't intending on buying one for awhile but a sweet deal fell in my lap for a '93 Mercedes 300E so here I am. Last time I was here I had a '97 S320 LWB.

Of course, the deal was sweet because the car has problems but is otherwise a very clean car with 94k miles. Major problem is the "ASR" light is on and the car drives real bad (mechanic said it is in limp mode when the ASR is on). Transmission won't shift unless you let off the gas and get back on it. Can the ASR simply be disabled? Momentarily the ASR light went off and the car drove fine but for the most part is stays on constantly and is running in limp mode. Any suggestions? Thanks and good to be back!

Last edited by 93MB300E; 06-16-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You can dis-able the ASR by un-plugging one of the speed sensors by the front shock towers...but...I doubt its the ASR that is making the car go into LH-mode. Un-plugging one will lite up the ASR dash lite, store a code relating to it and it will also take the cruise control off-line as well.

First thing to check would be the wiring harnesses for cracks/degradation and check the CAN for any codes (there should be some pointing to the possible problem) Sometimes the codes are 'ghosts' tho...not pointing you to the real problem(s).

It could be an easy fix like a $25 brake-light sensor or it could be $1000+ for a throttle acuator...if you have a good mechanic that knows this vintage car then he should be able to find the problem pretty quickly. LH-mode is all too common from 1990-95'.

Defiintely do a search on LH-mode for other thoughts/experiences and things for you to check yourself on it. A seemingly good deal like this might turn into an expensive regret ! But...it might not be a big deal to fix. GL
Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 AM

1993 Mercedes 300E
Originally Posted by Jim's500E
You can dis-able the ASR by un-plugging one of the speed sensors by the front shock towers...but...I doubt its the ASR that is making the car go into LH-mode. Un-plugging one will lite up the ASR dash lite, store a code relating to it and it will also take the cruise control off-line as well.

First thing to check would be the wiring harnesses for cracks/degradation and check the CAN for any codes (there should be some pointing to the possible problem) Sometimes the codes are 'ghosts' tho...not pointing you to the real problem(s).

It could be an easy fix like a $25 brake-light sensor or it could be $1000+ for a throttle acuator...if you have a good mechanic that knows this vintage car then he should be able to find the problem pretty quickly. LH-mode is all too common from 1990-95'.

Defiintely do a search on LH-mode for other thoughts/experiences and things for you to check yourself on it. A seemingly good deal like this might turn into an expensive regret ! But...it might not be a big deal to fix. GL
Thanks Jim. After some researching I decided not to get the car. I let the seller keep my deposit and just backed out of the deal. The whole limp mode thing, ASR light and a few other problems scared me away. The fuse box for the A/C was melted even though the A/C worked, sunroof didn't open, just a bunch of red flags that after some thought made me change my mind. Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM

'11 Cooper S
Where is the car located? Ad still up?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Always best to trust your instincts....it does sound like it might be a handful to sort out. Too bad.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 AM

1999 E55
Originally Posted by 93MB300E
Thanks Jim. After some researching I decided not to get the car..
Yeah, well, you made a mistake.

As my 11th Benz, I am the proud new owner of said 300E. ( Current daily driver is a 99 E55 - stable has included 94 SL600, 93 S500...)

Car is solid clean book. 85+ point car. For a near 20 year old car, it is mesmorizing to find such a great specimen. Shiny original paint, best color combo for a classy sedan (charcoal,dove grey), 1 (and only 1) 1" rip/wear spot in passenger seat (all other seats 99%) - clean dash, center wood - underneath only the most minor of leaks at diff and tranny pan and valve cover, tight suspension, straight factory rims...

You HAD this car for $2k! Thank you, my teenage daughter thanks you - and what better way to impress upon a new driver, vehicle maturity and an example of meticulous care and maintenance. (Plus, it will outrun a 305 V8 Camaro of the same era and cost $40k new!)

As for the bad parts, it needs an ETA. Available any day for $500, $100 on a good day. (Sure, Mercedes wants $2270, and they also get $100k+ for some new cars - I'm not buying either...) An hour to drop in, and it should be fixed. Or, I make a bypass harness and run without ASR. Worst case, I pay a shop $1000 to fix it. All are acceptable outcomes.

AC fuse is running hot, and there are several other signs of electrical degradation under the hood, but AC blows ice cold and all functions cycle and operate properly.

Sunroof operates, but is binding in reverse - "pops" properly, but needs assistance to full open and close - a new cable should fix it.

Drives great, runs consistent temp.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:46 AM

1993 Mercedes 300E
Originally Posted by BethesdaBenz
Where is the car located? Ad still up?
Car is located in Clearwater, Florida. Craigslist ad: http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/2443276664.html Looks like it is still available.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:51 AM

1993 Mercedes 300E
Originally Posted by donzidave

As my 11th Benz, I am the proud new owner of said 300E. ( Current daily driver is a 99 E55 - stable has included 94 SL600, 93 S500...)

Car is solid clean book. 85+ point car. For a near 20 year old car, it is mesmorizing to find such a great specimen. Shiny original paint, best color combo for a classy sedan (charcoal,dove grey), 1 (and only 1) 1" rip/wear spot in passenger seat (all other seats 99%) - clean dash, center wood - underneath only the most minor of leaks at diff and tranny pan and valve cover, tight suspension, straight factory rims...

You HAD this car for $2k! Thank you, my teenage daughter thanks you - and what better way to impress upon a new driver, vehicle maturity and an example of meticulous care and maintenance. (Plus, it will outrun a 305 V8 Camaro of the same era and cost $40k new!)

As for the bad parts, it needs an ETA. Available any day for $500, $100 on a good day. (Sure, Mercedes wants $2270, and they also get $100k+ for some new cars - I'm not buying either...) An hour to drop in, and it should be fixed. Or, I make a bypass harness and run without ASR. Worst case, I pay a shop $1000 to fix it. All are acceptable outcomes.

AC fuse is running hot, and there are several other signs of electrical degradation under the hood, but AC blows ice cold and all functions cycle and operate properly.

Sunroof operates, but is binding in reverse - "pops" properly, but needs assistance to full open and close - a new cable should fix it.

Drives great, runs consistent temp.

I had the car @ $1700. Did you buy the car? If so, good buy. I thought it had too many problems but it sounds like you did ok. Good luck with it. As far as "drives great", maybe in you opinion but with said problems it didn't drive great to me at all.

Last edited by 93MB300E; 07-04-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM

1999 E55
Yeah, I'm an owner.

I got the car for the same price.

The ASR limp made it "odd" to drive - if you get over that, it steers straight, brakes solid and straight, and runs smooth. Every couple times you start it, the ASR doesn't trip and it drives perfect for 5 or 10 miles.

Drove it 100 miles yesterday - ac blow cold and coolant temp stays steady at 100C in 90F traffic.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:30 AM

1993 Mercedes 300E
I got the car for the same price.

The ASR limp made it "odd" to drive - if you get over that, it steers straight, brakes solid and straight, and runs smooth. Every couple times you start it, the ASR doesn't trip and it drives perfect for 5 or 10 miles.

Drove it 100 miles yesterday - ac blow cold and coolant temp stays steady at 100C in 90F traffic.
Should get that muffler fixed too.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
... are always a good time.

You HAD this car for $2k! Thank you, my teenage daughter thanks you ...

As for the bad parts, it needs an ETA. Available any day for $500, $100 on a good day. (Sure, Mercedes wants $2270... Or, I make a bypass harness and run without ASR. Worst case, I pay a shop $1000 to fix it. All are acceptable outcomes.

AC fuse is running hot, and there are several other signs of electrical degradation under the hood, but AC blows ice cold...

Hmmmmm...? Was this post really necessary?

It's like a school child with hands on hips, "na na...na na.... I win you lose".

Haha!

Beautiful