E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Austin2Chicago: 93 300CE Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 300CE Cabriolet, 13 E350 Sport Wagon
Austin2Chicago: 93 300CE Cabriolet

All the paperwork, inspections, trip route, travel bag and other deets have been covered, and now I sit here wondering if I can get to sleep. I bought a cheap one way ticket which means I need to spend about three hours in Denver, which will allow me to collect my thoughts on the entire buying process, which I must admit was a bit choppy but thanks to you kind folk I feel the decision is sound.

This is my first Mercedes Benz. 1993 300 CE Cabriolet. And its perfectly suited to me. All black. Needs some attention, but mechanically sound. 73K miles. Everything works except for a wonky volume control and woofer pop in the stereo (aftermarket Sony) and non working but clicking every mile trip odometer. Sure, its not perfect, but its very clean, original and now mine.

I plan on documenting the trip here and per request I will eventually submit it to MBCOA for the magazine. We'll see if anyone finds the story compelling enough for print. If they do, I may be able to expense some of the fuel. I'll bet they like the pictures better than the words, but I'm cool with that.

Thanks again folks. Can't wait to smell the road.
Bob
Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 PM

Congrats have a safe trip
Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
G U M B A L L - R A L L Y !

You have a safe trip Bob - we'll be watching !
Old 10-22-2011, 08:51 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Lots of choices for mats,
ebay always has some choices,
performance in california has expensive ones.

I like the rubber mats for a black regular driver.
Have carpet mats in my Cab, but only run it about 2500 miles per year.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:06 AM

So, I seem to have a hydraulic leak. The top is operational, but I can smell the fluid and it is weeping into the roof when the top is stowed. I will be on the road for three day in great top down weather. Is the fluid going to to permanent damage to the inside roof liner? What about the vinyl on the surface of the top trunk? I plan on putting it up and down until I get home? Bad idea?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM

2004 SLK 230, 1992 300E & 400E
I think I'd just leave the top up instead of taking a chance that the inner liner, etc., could become damaged (it'll probably be an easy fix for the leak, but it wouldn't be an easy, or inexpensive, fix for the headliner nor the shelf. Trust me on this..........I've got one.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:58 PM

88 W124 300CE
Hmmmmmmmm - part of me says don't be concerned.
3 days is not going to screw the pooch permanently BUT staining might be an issue. Then again if the leak has been around for awhile can you see any evidence of it having happened for sometime ?
Is it a leak due to infrequent operation - i.e seals dry ?
Having read vexed's post about his cab hydraulic overhauls would seem it's characteristic of the model (bit like the wobbly fuel gauge is standard ). If you can I would maybe leave it down for awhile then back up when you hit the first bit of cool weather - and leave it there until you get home.

So tell me is it as good as it's picture's ? Very jealous mate !!!
Old 10-22-2011, 02:44 PM

It's as good or bettr than the pics. Everything works perfectly, sans the leak and head unit radio and I'll just keep the top up, roof and liner are brand new! It's pretty hot here even wit the windows down and I want to vent the fumes as much as possible. Cheers
Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 PM

Cars a peach. Kept the top up and most of the smell is now in the trunk, the cabin is clear. Some staining on the liner. Any ideas how to clean it? I may have an exaust leak, a little hissing under the drivers door, I'll check when home and check/fill all the chassis grease fittings for the winter. 498 miles ticked by effortlessly. Speeding the night in Hot Springs, AR, then north to Hannibal, MO tomorrow morning.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:57 PM

*spending the night, not speeding! Nice texting slip there
Old 10-22-2011, 08:24 PM

88 W124 300CE
Originally Posted by klobbr
*spending the night, not speeding! Nice texting slip there

I was going to say Bob - your not sticking white substances up your nose are you ?

Been hit by bug-shrapnel with the top down at all ???

I am so thinking I need to get me one of those things - maybe it would be worth it if I found one at your price and had it shipped over.
Just have to figure out how to left hand drive on the wrong side of the road !
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM

I got home today, much too soon. Really wonderful car and I found some really terrific roads for two and three wheels. And over the weekend the leaves were turning, not much traffic, I really got to know the car and never really thrashed on her at all, but had some sporty fun in the Ozark mountains. I did my best to be kind to the brakes but when it needed to happen they worked great. I hope they can always be that good.

I'll post with more detail but here are some of my observations.
The 4 speed is unlike any I have driven. You can gingerly pull from lights or increase your speed for passes and you feel the momentum building, but push down against that massively sprung accelerator and blammo. The kick down took me by surprise the first time I found it. That felt fast.

The headlights are really iffy in rural areas and especially in the forested twisty roads. I like the fogs, they illuminated painted roads well, but those without paint had me seriously struggling through. Pace just over the limit, nothing gumball. I wonder if I just replace the stock bulbs for a result. The brights worked well for my old eyes. But turning them on and off was kinda distracting.

Holy independent suspension batman. First few miles I thought for sure that springs would need swapping in the Spring. But not now. What a plush high speed set up that is. and with the steering, I think I like it as is. Anything stiffer will hurt around Chicago. And those cowl shake dampers would be toasted, as in catch fire. I absolutely love how this car reacts to driver input. Just enough help but not too much to make you flail. Again, I hope it will drive this way for ever.

Tire choice from the dealer is very capable. I did hear some pitch increase in the Ozarks but that could be from a lot of things. Where I did hear them squeal was in a unpopulated round about made of new cement. I did an impromptu skid pad excercise and was surely heeled over quite a bit but they held the carve. They are Continental Conti Pro Contact 195/65 R 15 on the 8 hole wheels. I was on some cold wet stuff and they worked well there too.

The top. Dammit. This was a tough part of the sale, but I am not looking back in any way. So we had it up and down a few times, put it away in the boot, and soaked 30 percent of the brand new top and liner in hydraulic fluid. Bother! But, its going to be okay once the leak is found. I'll search the list for some additional knowledge here. The top construction is amazing. And the cabin is seriously quiet when all closed up.

Climate control does as it should. Simply. I like that. Along with the cruise control, wipers, window controls (nice auto down detent, found that out in Arkansas).

Drivers door cladding has two released clips. Guess pushing on them wont help. This looks to be a source of water getting in behind the cladding over the winter and when washing the car. will it drain out the bottom somehow or just sit inside? I don't like the latter and may put some clear tape (1/4") to keep the water out until I get into the fix it mode.

Seats. Come on. These are the best seats ever. I want to go to the junkyard and make them into office chairs. Off the hook for sure. I did have a nervous moment when the drivers side recline operation inverted. I kept tapping, tapping, tapping until it was nearly pushing me into the steering wheel. It finally got to a point of embarassment when it released and recline did recline. Maybe the car wanted to go back to Texas? Nah.

No leaks or loss of oil except at the filler cap. Weeping a bit. Any suggestions?

Steering lock. The turn radius on this car is excellent. Like it has a bow thruster or something. I couldn't get over it.

Where can I get replacement headlamp wiper blades? These are shot.

More later. You were all right. Best car ever. Very fortunate to know you and even more fortunate to have score d this as my first Mercedes Benz.

Prost!
Bob
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 PM

88 W124 300CE
YeeeeeeHawwwwww ! We dun converted him !

Actually Bob I know the feeling, my 300CE is my first Mercedes and despite it's age gives me such a wonderful feeling when I drive it. It's solid and classy and yet it can rage like a bull when you ask it too. No it's not a tarmac burning V8 covered in plastic and gutsy roaring - it's sedate and classic.
I agree about the seating, at first I thought no too springy but you know what ?
After a decent drive I step straight out without feeling tired or sore.

The brakes are nice and beefy, you don't feel like they are going to let you down in an emergency and having ABS on a car of that vintage - WOW !

I'm so glad you made it safe and sound without major failure or mishap - look forward to hearing of your restoration projects as they go along.

Headlights are an often discussed topic on here. The US models seemed to have been punished by regulations when they were imported and crappy lights is the result. I had an issue with headlights being poor out in the boonies, but mine was because they had been dressed it up with "blue" inserts which gave about as much light as Mars does on a cloudless night ! I actually put a reasonably inexpensive option in. In Oz they are called Narva Arctic Plus 50's .

http://narva.com.au/products/browse/...globes#anchor4

In the US I believe they are called Narva Rangepower +50's.

http://store.candlepower.com/naraulhiou60.html

You will be amazed at the difference - still not perfect but heaps better. Be aware of the dangers of putting stronger bulbs in than the specs originally fitted (55watt I believe).

What does the family think of your new ride ?
The line starts here * for the keys ?

Ray
Old 10-24-2011, 09:22 PM

My wife loves it and hasn't even been behind the wheel yet. My sons want to see it transform, but not yet! Max (4yo) says it looks fast. Batman fast.

Best 1380 miles I've ever had.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 PM

88 W124 300CE
Originally Posted by klobbr
My wife loves it and hasn't even been behind the wheel yet. My sons want to see it transform, but not yet! Max (4yo) says it looks fast. Batman fast.

Best 1380 miles I've ever had.

Maybe you should change your Username & Profile

batman
1993 Batmobile E -Class
Name:  batmobile_small.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  7.9 KB
Drives: 00 Audi A6 4.2, 93 Batmobile Cabriolet

Last edited by stormtigers; 10-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 PM

Wow, that's awesome Lol!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 PM

88 W124 300CE
You better watch out BATGIRL may decide she thinks the 300CE is way too good for you and you'll never get to drive it !

Either that or she will put out her hand for one also !
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 PM

Sure! I'd be happy to oblige with a 500E. Nah. I'd stick to the coupes I think.

Last edited by klobbr; 10-25-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: poor form
Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 AM

@ stormtigers I just ordered the bulbs. I just cant get over the orange glo of the low beams. It's like the car is tired and wants to pull over and nap. Thanks for that link.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 AM

@RHW
I went over to my neighborhood hand wash car wash today. I live just off of Route 66 and were all pretty proud of that here. Anyway, he had a set of carpeted floor mats that we test fitted in the car hanging on the wall. They fit. Cost for two fronts and two backs: 20 bucks. Piece of mind for the winter at least.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:41 PM

Final trip update. In HD video!

There is really no reason to watch all of this, but the entire adventure is captured in 33 short episodes of uncut, unfocussed and sometimes surely inaccurately narrated digital video.
http://tinyurl.com/3lo5n4v
Just toggle the sort to “added first” and they will play in order.
Enjoy.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:31 PM

88 W124 300CE
OMG I almost crapped myseld laughing at the first one !

"THE SMELL OF LUXURY IS HYDRAULIC FLUID ? "

BOB your a regular Oscar Wilde !!!!

Wait to Shoomakan hears that one !
He cracked up over my "chromies is for Homies" in the wheel replacement post.

OH and don't give up your day job for singing !
Old 10-27-2011, 01:41 AM

2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
Nice video journal! I'm glad you found a good car and I'm sure once you get the little things addressed you'll be happy for a good long time.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:17 AM

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted of the progress.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Tales me back to first moments in my Cab, disbelief at how smooth the car handles 70mph, looking around at cars "worth" twice as much, despite that I'd prefer to be in my Cab.

So, what'ya figure, maybe 40 black on black 1993s in the country 18 years ago? How many are left? How many have sub 80K miles? I heart your car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Austin2Chicago: 93 300CE Cabriolet