E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Right rear wheel well hole?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 300CE Cabriolet, 13 E350 Sport Wagon
Right rear wheel well hole?

I just noticed some sort of access hole or drain perhaps in the right rear wheel well of my 93 300 CE cab. It seems to have a lead or other malleable cap on it that is coming off a bit. I pushed it back to cover the hole but it is obvious to me that water is going to get in there.

Any idea what this could be?

I didn't see any reference to it in the parts document so I wonder what it could be?
Old 12-10-2011, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Could it be feom a "paintless dent repair" to the fender??
Old 12-10-2011, 08:52 AM

I was also thinking rustproofing, but your thought seems more plausible. I'll post a pic today, it's in an odd position so I thought it could be a drain for the convertible top box... I haven't checked te other wheel well yet either cuz it's in the garage.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 AM

Some pics

Not rustfroofing, they show up in a parts diagram later in the post...
Attached Thumbnails Right rear wheel well hole?-img_4724.jpg   Right rear wheel well hole?-img_4725.jpg  

Last edited by klobbr; 12-10-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: new info
Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Maybe they are factory!

So I looked at another parts document and it seems these holes are in the schematic. No reference to the plugs, tho. Anybody have any ideas? See attached pic referencing part number and location of the holes in said part.
Attached Thumbnails Right rear wheel well hole?-panelwhlhseouter.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 01:26 PM

88 W124 300CE
Originally Posted by klobbr
So I looked at another parts document and it seems these holes are in the schematic. No reference to the plugs, tho. Anybody have any ideas? See attached pic referencing part number and location of the holes in said part.
I have them in mine also in fact they are all over the car.
One I found was in the bottom underneath the antennas. I strongly believe it is a drain plug to assist with venting any water/fluids that would/could collect and potentially sit and pose a rusting problem. The one in mine has a hole n the middle of it supporting that idea.

Two other possibilities though
Prevent air pressure build up in the trunk
As fuel tank is trunk mounted, in the event of rupture, fuel could drain from the trunk rather than sit there like an unlit molotov cocktail
Old 12-10-2011, 01:41 PM

alrighty then!

Thanks for the verify, Stormy!

I guess I'll call Jon at Classics to see where I can get some replacements. If not there I wonder if the dealer has access or if they are a universal item. i noticed some on ebay for dent removal and rustproofing but they come in boxes of 100 so I'd rather not guess that they are the right dimension.

Odd that it doesn't have a number reference if they are so prevalent.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 12-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Looks like they are "Body Plugs" or "Expansion Plugs"

http://www.neoriginal.ru/cat/mb/part...24_066_/68_015

It's a lot easier to track once you know what they are called.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM

88 W124 300CE
Originally Posted by klobbr
http://www.neoriginal.ru/cat/mb/part...24_066_/68_015

It's a lot easier to track once you know what they are called.
Well tracked Pastor Bob !

I am a bit confused though are you talking about the one at the bottom of the wheel well or the one's on the wheel arch liner ?

The bottom of the wheel well I think for sure are drain plugs.
The one's on the liner I saw reference to as being part of the construction process of all things. Something to do with painting. ! Not sure what that would be all about !

I did find a reference to the one I was referring to in the wheel well and it backs my assumption it was not only for water BUT also for fuel leakage drain off !

In your trunk, remove the right side plastic trunk liner that lines the entire right inside of the trunk/fender hump. There is a plastic/rubber vent line that is a pressure fit on the backside of the fuel filler pipe. Mine disconnected and allowed fuel to spill out inside the trunk behind the liner, and drained out through the drain hole behind the right rear tire in your picture.

I have seen fluid in that area in my car. The rubber grommet was plugged with dirt and crap but what appeared to be leaking was small drips from a pressure closed (i.e crimped) metal pipe that just hangs in that area !
Being a metal pipe it is a possibility that is the fuel vent line which may have been required to be closed rather to allow than raw fuel spillage dropping out of the vehicle. Don't know haven't got a foreign model to compare it too. And of course a little condensation would build up on the outside of that pipe if it indeed holds fuel which has to drip somewhere. I also considered that whilst there is a rubber grommet on the outside of the quarter panel for the antenna there is always a possibility of moisture getting in around the antenna mast (tiny but again it would need to go somwehere). As that is the lowest point of the trunk then such a discretely placed drain plug would be imperative !

EDIT:

Bob i have since found an official MB List of Grommets and the description give more of a clue as to what they are for. Particularly with reference to painting as I mentioned. Must be the holes are there to allow spraying of the entire area when installed in situ rather than painting then installing.

Hope this help you out - a definite keeper document this one !

Mercedes Grommets123 List.pdf

Last edited by stormtigers; 12-10-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:14 PM

Nice find. its also online here:

http://www.w123-forum.net/phorum/rea...139301,1139303

(just easier to copy and paste reference numbers is all)

Once I determine the diameter of the hole I am going to get a handful of universals to try. Not sure what to glue them in with at the moment so I will talk to my body shop pal about it on Monday. I want to slather them in place like the others as well.

For a temporary fix I am thinking of putting a bike innertube patch over the open hole. Right now its too cold for anything to adhere, and even too cold for me to clean the area anyway. Plus the tree is going up and lights come next. SO the next tool I will be using is the corkscrew.

Cheers,
Bob

You are right, the ones I am interested in replacing are on the front side of the arch of the fender, solid without drains. Just don't want any crap to get behind there in the wet.