E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

NEW to me 89 300CE from Toronto, Canada

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'90 500SL '07 C280 '98 E320, '19 C43
CTC is Canadian Tire ( a.k.a. Newfie Speed 'n Sport.)
Mann filters are good...OE. I have found that filters from the dealer are not that much more than aftermarket...and assured quality. So for filters and brake parts the dealer is your first choice....ask for a discount...15% is not uncommon depending on the clerk. Always check dealer price with aftermarket price anyway. Sometimes the dealer is close enough to make it the right choice.....but not on everything.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Oil filter I'd not get aftermarket/OEM equivalent. The oil pressure in these cars can apparently reach greater than 90PSI, and I had my oil filter get crushed like a paper cup.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55 AMG
Hey

I got everything i needed pretty much. Just finished most of the body work and fixed the bumper today

Unfortunately I stripped the YELLOW vacuum cable that goes to the trunk lock when I was using the grinder to clean up some rust in the tail light assembly

Will sealing it up with silicon or jb weld work? Will this mess up my whole vacuum system?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 PM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Brian McL
CTC is Canadian Tire ( a.k.a. Newfie Speed 'n Sport.)
Mann filters are good...OE. I have found that filters from the dealer are not that much more than aftermarket...and assured quality. So for filters and brake parts the dealer is your first choice....ask for a discount...15% is not uncommon depending on the clerk. Always check dealer price with aftermarket price anyway. Sometimes the dealer is close enough to make it the right choice.....but not on everything.

Thanks a lot for your help Brian, one thing i noticed in Toronto was that i found Permatex sealant you recommended everywhere but i never found the prep that u spoke of, where can i find this prep? any other good sealant suggestions?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:34 PM

1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
I am pretty sure the radio in your car is a BE 780 not a BE 1432.
Fluids Why skimp, it is a Benz. The plastics and the rubber in these cars are different, subsequently the MB fluids are superior. Others will argue but ...

Used in the 1988 and 1989 Mercedes.

Single-piece unit electronic AM, AM Stereo, and FM radio with automatic seek and scan tuning and cassette player (with CrO2/Metal tape switch and Dolby B/C Noise Reduction), 2 x 25 watt power and with anti-theft. Cassette is automatically drawn in and ejected.

The model BE 780 radio, installed from 1988-1989, does not have a numerical CODE (like the later models), but it does have a theft deterrent system hooked into the car alarm system.

It also does not have an internal lithium battery, like the earlier models (no Becker radio has a battery, from 1988 and on).

If you get the four dashes (----) across the radio display, it must be one of two things: an internal fault, or, it was removed from the vehicle while the anti-theft circuitry was armed (that is, the radio thought is was being stolen and "worked" perfectly).

In either case, the radio needs to go back to Becker to be fixed (although a MB Dealer may be able to help in the anti-theft situation).

Becker can also disarm the anti-theft device permanently at the same time.

Can be modified by Becker with an auxiliary input to accept an MP3 or iPod.

002 820 38 86
002 840 38 86

See Operation Guide.
Becker Grand Prix Electronic Model BE 780
Old 04-12-2012, 11:40 AM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BENZITCH
I am pretty sure the radio in your car is a BE 780 not a BE 1432.
Fluids Why skimp, it is a Benz. The plastics and the rubber in these cars are different, subsequently the MB fluids are superior. Others will argue but ...

Used in the 1988 and 1989 Mercedes.

Single-piece unit electronic AM, AM Stereo, and FM radio with automatic seek and scan tuning and cassette player (with CrO2/Metal tape switch and Dolby B/C Noise Reduction), 2 x 25 watt power and with anti-theft. Cassette is automatically drawn in and ejected.

The model BE 780 radio, installed from 1988-1989, does not have a numerical CODE (like the later models), but it does have a theft deterrent system hooked into the car alarm system.

It also does not have an internal lithium battery, like the earlier models (no Becker radio has a battery, from 1988 and on).

If you get the four dashes (----) across the radio display, it must be one of two things: an internal fault, or, it was removed from the vehicle while the anti-theft circuitry was armed (that is, the radio thought is was being stolen and "worked" perfectly).

In either case, the radio needs to go back to Becker to be fixed (although a MB Dealer may be able to help in the anti-theft situation).

Becker can also disarm the anti-theft device permanently at the same time.

Can be modified by Becker with an auxiliary input to accept an MP3 or iPod.

002 820 38 86
002 840 38 86

See Operation Guide.
Becker Grand Prix Electronic Model BE 780

Yeah i figured that out, my friend rebuilt my radio as a past time and now the radio works perfectly when the key is not turned.

As you soon as turn the ignition on, the speakers stop working. I think the car wants me to do one thing at a time, inline six or crappy Toronto radio stations.

I figured this is something to do with the auto volume feature, I think i would just buy a new radio than fix this one.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 11:58 AM

05 E55 AMG
Car is on the ROAD!!!

Okay sooo i finally got the car on the road.

I replaced the rad because ATF was mixing with coolant. ( Did analysis on the old ATF and Coolant didnt get in the Tranny, also noticed that the PO took out the fuse for transmission cooler - Tranny shifts perfect, driven it about 3000kms so far)

New Valve cover gasket (elring)

Timing chain cover gasket / cam seal ( both V.R)

Changed all the fluids, for the ATF i used mobil D/M after i called the everywhere looking for mb specified fluids and finally the mech at my dealer told to go ahead and use Mobil 1 because thats what they use.

Engine oil was shell rotella as forum members suggested.

Proper Mercedes Coolant. $30 bucks a can!

Air filter (mann) / Fuel filter ( hengst)

Proper copper spark plugs...

Misc body stuff

new radio! new passenger seat switch.

Ebrake pads and kit.

What i gotta do.

Change the front flex disc...thumps when going to drive.
Clean up some little rust spots etc.
Doesn't idle too smooth, def better after i changed the fuel filter. Its just a tiny little idle prob, only i notice it. The passengers don't, maybe its normal?

THE CAR RUNS BEAUTIFULLY. Its super smooth on the highway and super comfortable. My friends 20-30k cars dont feel that good/solid.

Last edited by visal911; 05-15-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:17 PM

05 E55 AMG

Thats it folks!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

LOVE THE CAR!

My bro and girlfriend called her "Wipey" cause the wiper is so "cute" and even cuter when all the wipers work when the lights are on. LOL!

They named my old car "POPPY" cause the lights pop up. Go figure.