E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

NEW to me 89 300CE from Toronto, Canada

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55 AMG
NEW to me 89 300CE from Toronto, Canada

Hi all,

I just picked up a 1989 300ce. Really good condition. Got it for pretty cheap and just drove it 200kms in one day! It has 230,000 kms on it.

I really love how she rides and how smooth the ride is. I want to keep this car original and fix up the little stuff that it needs.

So far i have noticed.

I have a engine oil leak in the front part of the engine, I think it must be the front timing chain cover.

Radio doesn't work, doesn't power on. Anyone know a fix to this?

The passenger seat doesn't go front or back but it tilts and the headrest goes up and down.

Everything else is pretty much perfect. I will post pics soon!

I'm originally a e30, e34 bmw and 80's honda guy but wanted to try out a merc

Thanks for reading and helping me out in advance!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Could certainly be timing chain cover gasket issue, could also be head gasket leak. Check compression.

Radio fix? I'd say check fusebox and pull/replace every one with updated copper/ceramic instead of the older aluminum/ceramic fuses. It fixed tons of intermittent electronics issues on my 90 300ce.

Also, if the radio is still broken, try and source a Becker CD BE4602 or other OEM single-DIN radio. I love my 4602, though it has some issues with the CD player and high G-Force maneuvers :P AUX in is my favorite feature, I use it daily.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 PM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Could certainly be timing chain cover gasket issue, could also be head gasket leak. Check compression.

Radio fix? I'd say check fusebox and pull/replace every one with updated copper/ceramic instead of the older aluminum/ceramic fuses. It fixed tons of intermittent electronics issues on my 90 300ce.

Also, if the radio is still broken, try and source a Becker CD BE4602 or other OEM single-DIN radio. I love my 4602, though it has some issues with the CD player and high G-Force maneuvers :P AUX in is my favorite feature, I use it daily.
I dont think its a head gasket.

I'm not planning to drive the car until summer so just gathering info right now. The thing about my radio is a cassette has gotten stuck inside and the previous owner had tried to get it out and destroyed the radio in the process. I'm gonna get another radio from a JY soon. The radios from the newer w124s should fit too right?

Also i'm gonna degrease the engine and see exactly where the oil is coming from.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Sweet! Pics or ban!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 AM

05 E55 AMG
Things that i gotta fix while its in storage.

Drivers window is off the rack, anyone know a diy for this?

Small damage on the back of the rear bumper.

New radio, whats the model of the Becker in this car?

Oh also i dont have a owners manual anyone have a electronic copy?

Gonna do a Oil change with 5w40 rotellla in april, till that shes gonna sit nice and dry in my garage.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:52 AM

05 E55 AMG

Old 12-27-2011, 02:09 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Beautiful! I've always liked white.
And, yours is the last coupe of the m103 variety.
Enjoy!

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM

93 300CE Cabriolet, 13 E350 Sport Wagon
cool car!

Radio Stuff.
You car came with a Becker 1432.
You can see a lot about them here:
http://www.beckerautosound.com/1432-...x_300CE_E.html

I found a rebuilt one on ebay for $90 and put it in. Its not modern radio but it works and i can play my itunes from my phone through the casette deck, which is not good either. There is a CD changer wired into the trunk, that is the best sound i get from the radio. Anyway, if you like music and your car is not a cabriolet you may want to go with an upgraded Becker or a new head unit all together. A new unit means you will need to put in new wiring too, there is a crossover in the center console that mucks up anything other than the Becker 2 channel systems.

Owners manual for 300 CE can be found through a Google search. I found it here. http://www.mediafire.com/?fwjkyjhhgfm

Most of your hard exterior parts can be found occasionally on ebay. Just search for w124 in the keywords area. Check with the seller to make sure, or ask the seller to match a part number that you find in your car's parts diagrams. 300 CE parts diagrams downloads in .pdf format can be found all over this list, trouble is I can't find one right now and gotta run so try the search and you're good.

One more note, check the front crank seal. i lost one on my 300 CE and it showed as a leak from the front of the engine. Good luck and have a great time with the car.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 AM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RHW
Beautiful! I've always liked white.
And, yours is the last coupe of the m103 variety.
Enjoy!
Thanks!

Nice w124 collection! WOW!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 AM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by klobbr
Radio Stuff.
You car came with a Becker 1432.
You can see a lot about them here:
http://www.beckerautosound.com/1432-...x_300CE_E.html

I found a rebuilt one on ebay for $90 and put it in. Its not modern radio but it works and i can play my itunes from my phone through the casette deck, which is not good either. There is a CD changer wired into the trunk, that is the best sound i get from the radio. Anyway, if you like music and your car is not a cabriolet you may want to go with an upgraded Becker or a new head unit all together. A new unit means you will need to put in new wiring too, there is a crossover in the center console that mucks up anything other than the Becker 2 channel systems.

Owners manual for 300 CE can be found through a Google search. I found it here. http://www.mediafire.com/?fwjkyjhhgfm

Most of your hard exterior parts can be found occasionally on ebay. Just search for w124 in the keywords area. Check with the seller to make sure, or ask the seller to match a part number that you find in your car's parts diagrams. 300 CE parts diagrams downloads in .pdf format can be found all over this list, trouble is I can't find one right now and gotta run so try the search and you're good.

One more note, check the front crank seal. i lost one on my 300 CE and it showed as a leak from the front of the engine. Good luck and have a great time with the car.
Thanks for the manual! and no i want to keep my radio stock, gonna try to rebuild mine or get a new one ( thanks for the model no. as well) Thanks for everything!

Oh also the drivers window is out of the rack, ad the passenger seat doesnt go forward on the rack. i guess that motor is stuck... Gotta fix a lot of little things before summer.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 PM

'89 300CE
http://www.puremb.com/forum/forum.php

Local GTA Benz group

Got the same year Benz, MEET UP! haha

Last edited by Dysphoria; 01-05-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 PM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dysphoria
http://www.puremb.com/forum/forum.php

Local GTA Benz group

Got the same year Benz, MEET UP! haha

Will Join!

I got a question. Are the coupe and sedan bumpers the same for 1989?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Originally Posted by visal911
Will Join!

I got a question. Are the coupe and sedan bumpers the same for 1989?
The only sheet metal you need to worry about re: Coupe VS Sedan is the trunk/rear quarters.

All front/rear bumpers are the same, coupe sideskirts are obviously shorter.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:30 AM

05 E55 AMG
The only sheet metal you need to worry about re: Coupe VS Sedan is the trunk/rear quarters.

All front/rear bumpers are the same, coupe sideskirts are obviously shorter.
Oh okay thanks.

I plan to repair this damage soon. Dont want to replace the bumper if i dont have to ( expensive), I believe i can replace the black thing that runs along it though right?

What is it called? And is that same for the coupe and sedans

Thanks a lot guys!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
The rubber bit is the Bumper Impact Strip. No idea what its called in the EPC though.

That should be the same for sedan/coupe.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:40 PM

'89 300CE
Might have a bumper for you, but its blue haha.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 PM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dysphoria
Might have a bumper for you, but its blue haha.

Thanks now i'm looking for a Impact strip thing. A local MB bumper guy wanted 300 for a new bumper and 125 for a strip. I was like....

I will just go to the junkyard and get one, they wont know which car it came out of.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM

05 E55 AMG
My Winter car/Beater/ First car i cannot get rid of

1989 honda accord - 5 speed. Thought id share some pics

Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 PM

05 E55 AMG
Before i put the car into storage, Pics with my best friends E34 92 525/5

Old 03-31-2012, 01:47 PM

05 E55 AMG
Sooooooo

Its getting warmer and I'm prepping the coupe to cruise....

I just have a few questions before i do that,

What kind of tranny oil should i use?
And also i think i need to fill up power steering fluid.

What brand/color of coolant do you guys use?

Its a 1989 300CE, m103 engine.

Thanks a lot in advance
Old 03-31-2012, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
All MB fluids here, except brake fluid.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM

05 E55 AMG
All MB fluids here, except brake fluid.
Wow S. Naib such a quick reply! Thanks!

Are these fluids available at the local parts store? Is there any equivalent oils?

thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Originally Posted by visal911
Wow S. Naib such a quick reply! Thanks!

Are these fluids available at the local parts store? Is there any equivalent oils?

thanks
I'm not sure on equivalents, I just get mine from the dealership and don't worry about compatibility. My wallet worries however.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:18 PM

'90 500SL '07 C280 '98 E320, '19 C43
Change ALL the fluids in the car...you don't know when (if) they have been changed on any schedule.
Tranny filter and gasket can be purchased online from any number of sellers. Tranny fluid is Dextron III / Mercon. Any good name brand product...NOT CTC brand.
YOU MUST CHANGE THIS FLUID ON A REGULAR BASIS (30,000 K)OR YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES WITH THAT TRANNY.
Change the brake fluid. Flush it through each line starting at the furthest (right rear) to left front. KEEP THE BOWL FULL! DOT 3
P/S fluid is just a good branded hydrolic fluid with European spec. Available at CTC.... but not theirs.
When you change it suck all the old stuff in the bowl out (turkey baster) and add the new fluid. Then, with the engine running, turn the steering full lock to lock.
Don't hold it a each lock and don't do it with the front tires on the ground.
If you can't get the front tires off the ground then get some heavy construction plastic and put a piece under each front wheel.
Put it down and drive onto it.
Empty the bowl between each lock to lock cycle......the fluid will become dirty. Do this 3 /4 times. Then change the filter (buy online) and fill to between the 2 lines on the indicator.
MB product is hideously expensive and on your car not necessary.
If you are really getting into it you should consider the fuel filter. Another online purchase.
If you decide to re-seal the upper timing chain cover, and you should on the M103...be sure to use the correct sealant. I have used Permatex 51813 ANAEROBIC gasket maker on that (and other leaky MB engines) with success.
Same stuff MB sells at 3x the price.
DO NOT USE SILICON RTV.
You will also need the Permatex Surface Prep. The prep. is needed to activate the gasket maker in the absence of iron ions. Since both parts are aluminium you will need the prep. NAPA has both.
How's the serpentine belt?....online purchase!
Belt tensioner pulley howling / noisy...online purchase! But just the pulley NOT the whole tensioner.
....and it goes on and on....

Clunking in the front end as you go over bumps ?...sway bar bushings..common.. buy online
Thump when you go from N to D to N to R to N to D with your foot on thew brake?...rubber isolation mount on driveshaft at rear of tranny...common.. buy online.
The W124 is a great car...last of the breed that MB built it's reputation on.
Unfortunately rust is slowly eating them up here in Canada.
Learn it's habits, do the work yourself and you will have years of economical enjoyment and remember....that car was designed by engineers to be repaired and kept on the road.
Enjoy !!!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 PM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Brian McL
Change ALL the fluids in the car...you don't know when (if) they have been changed on any schedule.
Tranny filter and gasket can be purchased online from any number of sellers. Tranny fluid is Dextron III / Mercon. Any good name brand product...NOT CTC brand.
YOU MUST CHANGE THIS FLUID ON A REGULAR BASIS (30,000 K)OR YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES WITH THAT TRANNY.
Change the brake fluid. Flush it through each line starting at the furthest (right rear) to left front. KEEP THE BOWL FULL! DOT 3
P/S fluid is just a good branded hydrolic fluid with European spec. Available at CTC.... but not theirs.
When you change it suck all the old stuff in the bowl out (turkey baster) and add the new fluid. Then, with the engine running, turn the steering full lock to lock.
Don't hold it a each lock and don't do it with the front tires on the ground.
If you can't get the front tires off the ground then get some heavy construction plastic and put a piece under each front wheel.
Put it down and drive onto it.
Empty the bowl between each lock to lock cycle......the fluid will become dirty. Do this 3 /4 times. Then change the filter (buy online) and fill to between the 2 lines on the indicator.
MB product is hideously expensive and on your car not necessary.
If you are really getting into it you should consider the fuel filter. Another online purchase.
If you decide to re-seal the upper timing chain cover, and you should on the M103...be sure to use the correct sealant. I have used Permatex 51813 ANAEROBIC gasket maker on that (and other leaky MB engines) with success.
Same stuff MB sells at 3x the price.
DO NOT USE SILICON RTV.
You will also need the Permatex Surface Prep. The prep. is needed to activate the gasket maker in the absence of iron ions. Since both parts are aluminium you will need the prep. NAPA has both.
How's the serpentine belt?....online purchase!
Belt tensioner pulley howling / noisy...online purchase! But just the pulley NOT the whole tensioner.
....and it goes on and on....

Clunking in the front end as you go over bumps ?...sway bar bushings..common.. buy online
Thump when you go from N to D to N to R to N to D with your foot on thew brake?...rubber isolation mount on driveshaft at rear of tranny...common.. buy online.
The W124 is a great car...last of the breed that MB built it's reputation on.
Unfortunately rust is slowly eating them up here in Canada.
Learn it's habits, do the work yourself and you will have years of economical enjoyment and remember....that car was designed by engineers to be repaired and kept on the road.
Enjoy !!!
First of ALL! THANK YOU!!! I never expected such a detailed comment, I'm loving this forum already and i havent even started working on the car yet

What did you mean by CTC? Canadian Tire? "P/S fluid is just a good branded hydrolic fluid with European spec" Any brand name recommendations?

I got a MANN fuel filter already and ordered a MANN oil filter...which brand is better MANN or Mobil1?

"that car was designed by engineers to be repaired and kept on the road. "

yes sir, just popping the hood for the first time made me surprised by how much space there is in the engine. Gotta love a inline six!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NEW to me 89 300CE from Toronto, Canada