E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Speed Limiter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320
Speed Limiter

Like all w124 e320's mine limits at 135mph, how can i get rid of this non sense
Old 05-03-2012, 05:40 PM

1995 E320
is there any place in us i can send my ecu or something, or anyone know a place to dyno tune this thing in chicago land area
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Look for an aftermarket chip - often sold on eBay

They don't do much more than just move the shift points around, but often a speed-limiter removal feature is included, too.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
How much faster than 135 mph will them 6 cylinders actually go?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jim's500E
How much faster than 135 mph will them 6 cylinders actually go?
Not much. I always wonder why people bother.

Unless you've done the C36 swap or turboed/ supercharged your car, you're really only chasing what, 6- 10 extra on the top end.

I did a power limited ~130 in my 2.6 on a really long down hill once. The second you level off speed drops off and if you start climbing it drops off quickly.
The E320 gets up there relatively easily, but struggles to gain appreciably beyond 130, then hits the limiter. I think I did 140. My tires are slightly larger than stock.

Aero starts to really dampen acceleration at about 130- 140. You need real power to keep accelerating much beyond that. 217 won't cut it.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM

1995 E320
Im going to be running hr touring suspension, ceginus evo 2 wheels on continental tires, along witn some small things like k&n drop in and center muffler delete and a mild brake upgrade. Im not expecting it to be a race car or anything just a drivers car. I baby it and only has 65k miles. I love this car. My old 95 E320 had a goofy ecu and it didn't rev limit or speed limit and i got it over 150mph. Im not gonna go that fast ever if so once or twice but it bothers me that the limiter is there for some reason. Its my favorite car. I fell in love with the w124 when i bought my first mercedes which was a 87 300e. Yeah the 500e is the one everybody want but i love the inline 6. Still think Mercedes screwed up by getting rid of the setup. Any input on where i can get quality chip is a plus. I don't drive car daily so sending ecu out don't bother me
Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
tec_nine -

I don't think you are going to find a true performance "chip" solution a la modified firmware because our ECUs do not have socketed or flash programmable EEPROMs in them. Thus, any true firmware solution will require the ECU be sent to a shop for such an update (unless, of course, you happen to have a full SMD soldering/desoldering workstation and programmer). The "performance" kits that I have seen just modify the signals to the ECU via external hardware. Usually they play will Intake Air Temp or the O2 sensors signals to fake the ECU into richening up the mixture. I would suspect they are of dubious benefit and most certainly would not address the speed limiter.

I took a quick look at the schematic for our cars (we both have '95s which are equipped with electronic throttle control) and the speed limit is actually accomplished via the EA/Cruise module and not the ECU directly. So new ECU firmware wouldn't help if you could even find it. The EA/CC module takes its speed signal from the Hall Effect speed sensor on the speed-o-cluster. In theory, the speed signal could be manipulated here, but outright disconnection would kill the cruise control and screw up the ABS system if you have ASR. It would certainly be possible to make an inline module that took the Hall Effect sensor input and when the speed exceeded some value - say 120 MPH - outputs a constant 120 MPH signal. Thus, the EA/CC module would never know how fast you are really going, but all the ancillary functions would still function properly (Would you really set cruise over 120? At that speed, if you need ABS, you're toast anyway).

But is it really worth it? Doesn't seem like it to me.

BTW, if you still want to play with performance firmware, word has it that this company ECU Technologies can transplant the E36 firmware into your ECU, just break out your wallet for this and a 95 C36 engine.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
1995 C36
I have a C36 swap on my car. Speedtuning USA did the tuning on my ECU. They basically burned a chip for me that was put into the ECU.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 PM

1995 E320
Originally Posted by Floobydust
tec_nine -

I don't think you are going to find a true performance "chip" solution a la modified firmware because our ECUs do not have socketed or flash programmable EEPROMs in them. Thus, any true firmware solution will require the ECU be sent to a shop for such an update (unless, of course, you happen to have a full SMD soldering/desoldering workstation and programmer). The "performance" kits that I have seen just modify the signals to the ECU via external hardware. Usually they play will Intake Air Temp or the O2 sensors signals to fake the ECU into richening up the mixture. I would suspect they are of dubious benefit and most certainly would not address the speed limiter.

I took a quick look at the schematic for our cars (we both have '95s which are equipped with electronic throttle control) and the speed limit is actually accomplished via the EA/Cruise module and not the ECU directly. So new ECU firmware wouldn't help if you could even find it. The EA/CC module takes its speed signal from the Hall Effect speed sensor on the speed-o-cluster. In theory, the speed signal could be manipulated here, but outright disconnection would kill the cruise control and screw up the ABS system if you have ASR. It would certainly be possible to make an inline module that took the Hall Effect sensor input and when the speed exceeded some value - say 120 MPH - outputs a constant 120 MPH signal. Thus, the EA/CC module would never know how fast you are really going, but all the ancillary functions would still function properly (Would you really set cruise over 120? At that speed, if you need ABS, you're toast anyway).

But is it really worth it? Doesn't seem like it to me.

BTW, if you still want to play with performance firmware, word has it that this company ECU Technologies can transplant the E36 firmware into your ECU, just break out your wallet for this and a 95 C36 engine.
My car is not equiped with asr, so would this be easier to do with my car. from what i understand yes
Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
94 E320 Coupe
Solved?

So has any conclusion been made as to how to remove the speed limiter?
Old 12-16-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
94 E320 Coupe
Update, it seems UK cars have no such speed limiter and they use a different ECU....hmmm