E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

First post, first Benz (95 e420) - it's a good day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 e420
First post, first Benz (95 e420) - it's a good day

Hey Folks,

A word of appreciation to all the members who post here. I've carefully followed the forum over the past many months and finally found (and purchased) my dream vehicle, a 95 e420 with 45,xxx miles, smoke silver/parchment, pristine condition. A one-owner grandma vehicle that most likely never encountered 80 mph until my hands met the wheel. There aren't so many out there in this condition, with such low miles, so it's tough to know what a good deal is. I ended up paying 8,500 (asking was 9,200).

After a run up the California coast I think I'll be upgrading the sway bars (500e). Aside from the lateral sway around corners this car is an absolute marvel (especially on the freeway) and is exactly how I remember it (my father bought one new when I was 16, you can imagine the youthful envy...)

This is my first benz, although I've spent more time inside mb's than any other car. Happy to finally join the parade!

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:29 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Great find, I own a handful of these and envy the V8s. Also, great find with those low miles!

BUT
a picture is worth a thousand words!!!
Not really, and 1 pic won't satisfy us.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Pacific
Hey Folks,

. . . a 95 e420 with 45,xxx miles, smoke silver/parchment, pristine condition. . .
Damn, you did have a good day. Congratulations!!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:19 PM

1995 e420
Photos

Hey RHW, I don't have many photos handy at the moment, but here are a couple quick glances!
Attached Thumbnails First post, first Benz (95 e420) - it's a good day-mb-e420-1.jpg   First post, first Benz (95 e420) - it's a good day-mb-e420-2.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Well done, fellow M 119 V8 owner!

Congrats - great find!

Looking forward to those pictures.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:27 AM

94 E420, 1963 Turbo VW Bug
WOW!! good looking car and in great condition, plus low miles good find, if you don't mind me asking what what are going to be your plans for her, all stock or dress her up a bit
Old 05-20-2012, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congratulations and welcome.

ENVY.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:55 PM

1995 e420
Hey John, I'm really on the fence about how to proceed with modifying the stock setup, if at all. The car drives great as is, and while I could find peace leaving her be, there are some upgrades I'm considering. Be forewarned I've never driven a 500e which might be a good thing
Some considerations...

- The body roll cornering at higher speeds leaves something to be desired. I'm almost certain I will upgrade to 500e sway bars at some point. Uncertain if I will follow through with the sportline conversion re shocks, struts, etc. Ideally I would upgrade the suspension one piece at a time, to absorb and feel out each change, although I don't know if this is so practical cost wise. It might be more cost effective in terms of labor/time to change out several things at once. PS: I won't be doing the work the myself (at least not this year, not enough time to learn a new trade).

- I've read a good deal about the differential gearing, changing the existing 2.24 to 2.65 or 2.82. Personally the "sluggish" around town feel doesn't bother me so much, at least not yet. If I want a bit more pep and control I just leave the transmission in second gear. The thrill for me is kicking off from 60 mph on the freeway, zero to 60 not so much. I want this car to last so slamming in between stop signs and lights is not my cup of tea.

- The sound system sucks. I've read about the rainbow drop-ins but my general sense is that the stock head unit is also iffy. The aesthetics of the interior are very important to me, so I won't simply pull the stock head unit and replace with any ol pioneer, kenwood, etc. Ideally I would like to test out the rainbows first, with the existing head unit, and only spend money on speakers if possible. But I'd hate to spend money on rainbows only to be dissatisfied and left upgrading the head unit to another becker (or maybe nakamichi) along with another set of new speakers. I'm also terrified of having a shop butcher my car, so if I was too proceed with anything other than the rainbow drop ins I'd need to find a trustworthy set of hands in the Los Angeles area.

I think that about sums up where I'm at. Now to put things in perspective imagine going from a 02 VW Golf to a 95 e420. Plenty of satisfaction as is!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 PM

94 E420, 1963 Turbo VW Bug
i hear you on that bratha, I'm planing on doing something to my suspension but I'm just buying my time and see what is the right way to go so I'm just reading on what some of the guys have done to their cars and see what i decide on
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds like you've done your research well, based on the path of upgrades you want to take.
I agree on the swaybars. It's been suggested to me that simply adding a 500E swaybar to the rear will alleviate the understeer. But i'm in an E320, not an E420. Don't know if that same single mod will work for you.
I upgraded my shocks to Bilstein Heavy Dutys. Firms up the ride some but eliminated a lot of the slop going over bumps. I understand the sports are the same, just with shorter travel.

On my old car, a 300E, I replaced the speakers to great effect; Blaupunkt two ways front and rear, and the woofers from a 6' component set in the doors. Still lacked the bottom end thump of a system with a subwoofer, but had great kick for the type of music I listen to. The snare drum came alive listening to Slick Rick. The standard system sounds very clean at all volumes, but also is resoundingly [i]flat.[/]
I would suggest obtaining a set of speakers from a parts car if you want to try my way, use the stock speaker basket to get an OEM fit. The speakers I used were the bottom range Blaupunkts that were two way (woofer and tweeter in one) at Best Buy. They happened to be on sale, ergo I bought em. The previous owner had already changed the stereo so I can't speak for how it would have sounded with a speaker upgrade.

I'm off the same opinion about the diff; meh. I'm not a stoplight drag racer, and if were I would have selected a very different beast. Leave well enough alone and enjoy low/ mid twenties fuel consumption from a V8 beast.
Cheers.