E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

88' 260e

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
260e
88' 260e

Hey guys, new to the forum.

Just picked up a 1988 260e with 17x,xxx miles.

Just moved to RI from Florida. Sold my scion Tc and picked up my "get through the winter" car. I was surprised how much I actually liked it.

She a bit of a fixer' upper but I'm really looking forward to it and learning from you guys. Plans are fixing her up and selling her in hopes of a better 124 platform.

Thanks for the welcome!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM

260e
I just realized there is no d in benz..... awkward
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM

260e
As far as what I've got done to the car so far..

for some reason the first think i did was clean the trunk and seal. i just remember seeing alot of rust in these areas so i figured id check it out and clean it out. It went well.

then moved on to some rust spots

rear driver side wheel well

jack insert

some rust on the drivers door

must have been in an accident, terrible replacement panel. not totally sure how im going to repair it

rear drivers jack insert, filler with fiber glass. fared then bondo

for some rason both sides have terrible rust, want to weld but i have to teach myself how to first

might just bring down to bare metal, and paint

sorry if thing are unorganized, not used to uploading this many pics. ill keep you guys updated...

also started working on the wood interior

first stripping

then sanding which i have also managed to lose some pictures of..

Im all up for questions and comments! thanks guys
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
wha gwan! man just be careful how much money you throw into this car if you intend to sell it. resale values are terrible, you probably won't get over $2.5k to $3k max for it, so just keep that in mind if this is a temp ride, and save the money to put towards the 'real' one...
it looks like you're doing most of your own work though so that helps a lot with keeping costs down but still.

and most people move TO the sunshine, not away...!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 300e
Get some different headlights, buddy. I got some nice looking crystal clear style on my silver w124 and with clear corner lamps, it made it look a lot better

88' 260e-dtbzf2r.jpg

Last edited by idontlikepeople; 01-29-2013 at 04:49 AM. Reason: added pic of different headlights from this fall
Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 AM

93 300e
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
and most people move TO the sunshine, not away...!
Well stated, by the way! You'll be hard pressed to get me into anything else
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Idontlikepeople, how can you stand the headlight gap? Y u no headlight eyebrows or 94/95 hood so the lights are proper?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM

260e
ZED:
Definitely trying to keep my cost down, but at the same time this is my first "project" car and I'm really enjoying working on it. And haha man i am regretting moving to this horrid weather. I miss warmth and i can see how this weather is detrimental to cars. Ugh

Zed your car is sick, Love the monos too. are those off of an Audi?

Idontlikepeople:
I've been contemplating that and looking for good prices. My visibility is null and those things are not pretty. Im going to compound the crap out of mine in the mean time and see where that gets me.
Not a big fan of the clear corners, maybe some lightly smoked yellows if i get around to that.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM

260e
I might plan on making a lip for the front, considering my profession. If only i could get the dimensions and angles of the oem bumper i could program something and throw it in the cnc machine for a mold!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Originally Posted by Jah-Bendz
Zed your car is sick, Love the monos too. are those off of an Audi?
no, TSW holsten, but they're based off the old audi pie plates i think. they are discontinued now which sucks, i had wanted to try and stagger the rears but can't find the wheels for sale anywhere.... i like solid face wheels on these boxy cars
Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM

93 300e
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Idontlikepeople, how can you stand the headlight gap? Y u no headlight eyebrows or 94/95 hood so the lights are proper?
I can stand them because they are not cracked, discolored, and dull like the old ones are. I will deal with the gap among other visual problems when I get enough cash to deal with them all at once. There are still a couple more pressing issues with her at the moment, such as the transmission.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM

260e
Zed:
What are the specs on those? 18x? et? and tire size. Any fitting problems. Im trying to think of a good set up. I also like the blocks, but then i might try these out

http://providence.craigslist.org/pts/3439193280.html

I feel that with the right drop and fitment that they would work, especially for the price!

IenjoyPeople:
Which headlights are those? I know theyres a few different versions between depo and bosche and such. also throughout the later years, like 95's, they were different. right?

man i miss the sun and warmth... this stuff they call snow is terrible haha
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 PM

93 300e
Zed:
What are the specs on those? 18x? et? and tire size. Any fitting problems. Im trying to think of a good set up. I also like the blocks, but then i might try these out

I feel that with the right drop and fitment that they would work, especially for the price!

IenjoyPeople:
Which headlights are those? I know theyres a few different versions between depo and bosche and such. also throughout the later years, like 95's, they were different. right?

man i miss the sun and warmth... this stuff they call snow is terrible haha
Those are some cheap ones I found off ebay, cost $160 total, but you should be able to find cheaper. Just search w124 headlight and you will see a lot of results, plus you already have the know-how to install and aim them or a whole forum full that do!

the 94-95 ones were rounded on the corner of the hood and grill, where as 93 was flat. You can see mine is a 93 with 94 headlights because I thought that was the year it was, because that's how it was sold to me

i miss the sun, too, i want to get my fingers greasy again!

Last edited by idontlikepeople; 01-29-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: answering a question i forgot about
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Zed:

mine are 18x8 et 32 or 35, can't remember... i think 35.
those you posted are a great price!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:55 PM

260e
hey can you guys tell me what color my 260 is? I think its the anthracite grey, but looking on google images has me confused.. I think the 172 is indicating the anthracite but your guys incite would be helpful

Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
yeah that should be right, anthracite grey... i usually check paintscratch.com as a quick reference...
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 PM

260e
Thanks, Not sure how much im going to pick up yet.

Car has been really sluggish since i got it. Really Bogged down at lower RPMs if you gave it more throttle than it wanted.

I was on the way to Auto zone to pick up what i thought might be the problem, the EHA valve,when i was at a stop light. The RPMs dropped, motor turned off and wouldnt turn back over.

Figured id just send it to the mechanic because i dont have the time right now. he doesnt think its the EHA valve but something with the ignition. who knows it might be both. ill keep you guys posted.