E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

My 1990 300e. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300e, 1985 635csi
My 1990 300e. What do you think?

Hey all, this is kind of an intro/opinion thread. Looking to get thoughts on what I've done so far, and maybe some suggestions as to what next.

Bought about 9 months ago as this

6 months later...

Few weeks ago...

Thanks, Austin
Old 01-21-2014, 07:30 PM

1987 300E
Can't view your pics mate
Old 01-27-2014, 03:16 AM

1990 300e, 1985 635csi
Since I cant figure out how to edit the post, here they are

and

and
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
I like the white(body colored?) wheels best.

I think you should either modify your wiper panels, or get wipers on them.

Hell, do both like I did!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 PM

1990 300e, 1985 635csi
Thanks for the input
The wheels are white, not quite silver like the body color, I orignaly wanted just plain ol' silver but they didn't have them in stock. Ended up with black and never really liked them. Every once in a while they look great but with black you couldn't really see the lines of the wheel.

Wiper panels.. yours are unique, I hadn't thought of anything like that and I like em. How did you do that? Custom or aftermarket?

Btw read some of your threads before I joined, actualy encouraged me to join, "Bucky" looks great!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Black wheels are a tough sell to pair with most colors I think. If you're going for fully murdered out, you kind of need the black rim-face. In your case, I think the white is much nicer.

Now, the wheel gap issue. I won't encourage you to lower because I'm not always happy with my decision to do so. If you've got ****ty roads you have to drive on, do NOT lower your car. You will constantly cringe and cry a little inside. However, AMGDave (like everything he does) has collected a stupid amount of information on the OEM/Mercedes spring/shock combos. You can do a proper SportLine lowering which will get rid of some gap, and is correct from the factory to not cause nightmares with ground clearance, scrubbing, and issues turning sharply.

Browse here & give him a shout/thanks: http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/W124/

The wiper panels are actually the stock wiper panels like you have. I had my body/paint guy cut them out and put in this really cheap mesh I bought from Home Depot. It worked flawlessly haha. If you've got any sort of machining skills yourself, you can likely do it at home and save yourself a bit of money.

Thanks man! I'm glad my often hapless stumbling about was beneficial. Mainly since enough good people on here took the time out to help me. This site and these people have been an amazing resource for myself and others.

Your car is looking great already as well, though I think I spy some "Bucky" in it just like mine. How'd you crack the front bumper valence? haha
Old 01-28-2014, 01:24 PM

1987 300E
The white and silver looks great together! Anything done to the interior?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM

1990 300e, 1985 635csi
Saijin, yes I've got enough wheel gap to rent out that space haha. I've got some big plans for the suspension, its just all about the dinero. I'm thinking something like, bmw e36 coilovers up front, the best brand of ford ranger front shocks I can find for the rear and then running vogtlands all around. I like em lowwww. Unfortunately I'll have to teach my fiance how to drive all over again

That's incredibly creative with the wiper panels, and has given me some inspiration. Now I just gotta find me some scrap metal to practice the art of louvre making...

Unfortunatly my bumper came that way but last weekend I did some cutting to make it look like the hole was supposed to be there.

GB, Thanks. There's a few mods inside and I'm in the process of some serious cleaning of the engine bay (paint, hiding wires, wiper reservoir delete, etc). So far inside I've got an alpine deck (meh), a 2500w JL amp, a 12" JL sub, the stock speakers have been upgraded (brand name escapes me) the rear deck on either side of the medkit has been ported with a 4" hole to let the bass in, and I plan to just screw some little speaker grills over the holes. Id also like to add door speakers, and the center console piece and armrest that have storage compartments in the near future.

All in all if there's any interest I have many more pictures to share, and while my car may not be the fastest or most exciting, I've been considering doing a bit of a build thread. Worth it?