E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Opinions and Recommendations..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Mercedes-Benz 300CE
Arrow Opinions and Recommendations..?

What's good MBWorld?!

I am looking to purchase my first vehicle and I had a 89' 300CE in mind. There's one for sale in my city with only around 147,000 KM on it. Overall not bad condition. Since it's my first vehicle, and I want it to be a project car as well, so I thought I'd post it here for more opinions regarding the car. I took it for a pre-purchase inspection, safety, and a compression test. These are the following results.

Compression Test: CYL1-6 = 200PSI (Good)

Safety Test - Failed.

- Washer fluid not spraying.
- LR Wheel Bearing - Play
- LR Upper Control Arm - Play
- Hole in Driverside Floor
- Level 3 Oil leak from multiple spots. Need to washdown to pinpoint leak.
- Hole in the wheel well RF.

It's extremely hard to find a old school MB that's in decent condition with low mileage on it so I really want to purchase it. I'm just concerned about the hole in the wheel well and the floor. My original plan was to use MBPartsFactory to replace most of the components and certain parts (In this case, the rusted body) and then eventually start to modify it with aftermarket parts. Yes, I know there's not much you can do but I'll probably install a complete turbo kit or something eventually. Haha. Since I'm still a student, this project will probably take me a while or so. If you take care of the car well, it'll last really long I know. Since it is a 30 year old car, I know it's going to have problems here and there no matter what. I have researched the 300CE extensively.

The engine of the the car is in great fckin condition. The only thing I was concerned about is the rust on the body (Which I've listed above with other problems pointed out) because I don't want to start working on a rust bucket that'll eventually be tossed out. I'll see if I can get replacement body parts or something on MBPartsFactory instead of cutting & welding because I believe that it doesn't solve anything but just buy you time. When I say that this is going to be a project car and that I'm going to replace most components and personalize it, I mean I'm looking to upgrade everything that might fail due to age, from the door weather strip seal, switches, alternator, window motor, engine components, control arm, etc etc etc. Also yes I know, this is going to add up. I'll most likely keep it in storage or something while I save up the $$$ to do modify it. Then from there it's a full on go. Haha.

Just wanted a second opinion as to whether I should go ahead with the purchase or not as I don't want to purchase something that's already failing. Ya know? Haha. Hopefully these issues can be fixed so the car will last many years. Haha.

Thanks!

Last edited by 720; 07-22-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1994 e320 coupe
- Hole in Driverside Floor (rust bucket)

- Level 3 Oil leak from multiple spots. (head gasket probably).

This thing better be FREE!

1st one is thousands of repair (if you can find anyone to do it) unless you want to learn how to cut, shape, and MIG weld
2nd one above...again, at least $1500-2000 if you can find someone to do it if it's a HG.

You really want to take on this project?

As the saying goes...nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes.

For your first car, I suggest something much simpler and in better condition to cut your teeth with.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:31 PM

1994 e320 coupe
Where do you live?

There's gotta be better cars in your area, no?

Plenty on the West coast that's not rusty. Even if you have to pay to transport it, better in the long run and you'll have fun driving it as opposed to it being on jackstands forever.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:03 PM

1989 Mercedes-Benz 300CE
Originally Posted by teahead
Where do you live?

There's gotta be better cars in your area, no?

Plenty on the West coast that's not rusty. Even if you have to pay to transport it, better in the long run and you'll have fun driving it as opposed to it being on jackstands forever.

Thanks a lot. It's hard to find one that's in good shape. I'm in Toronto, Canada. I don't mind trying to find one in the states but the only issue is the currency conversion.
Also I got a car fax for the car. Apparently the odometer was rolled back a 130k so I'm not going to buy it anymore. I just want a nice W124 Coupe tbh. Haha.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 PM

1994 e320 coupe
West Coast definitely more to choose from.

Cheap wheels here, even if you have to transport it: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...649032659.html

Rust is the BIGGEST issue! More than anything! Best to get a clean, California car and start from there. Even with one with high miles like this one.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:29 AM

1989 Mercedes-Benz 300CE
West Coast definitely more to choose from.

Cheap wheels here, even if you have to transport it: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...649032659.html

Rust is the BIGGEST issue! More than anything! Best to get a clean, California car and start from there. Even with one with high miles like this one.
Thanks a ton man. Yeah, I'll probably find something elsewhere. Too bad we live in a world where rust exists. Haha.
Any specific W124 car models you recommend looking at? I was lookin into the 300CE, E320 Coupe, and E500's (Too bad they don't have a 2Dr Version minus the E36 AMG).Hahaha.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:34 PM

1994 e320 coupe
I'm biased and I like 94/95 facelift cars. And of course, I like Coupes.

I also like the 94/95s due to having the 217hp M104 engines. Sure, they have their issues, but find one that doesn't. E.g. find one w/updated wiring harnesses (tag near the batter showing mo/yr). Find one w/low miles or if high miles, watch for oil leaks. Signs of bad head gasket potentially.

But as aforementioned, find one WITHOUT RUST! Everything else can be replaced, including the engine/trans, but the body...$$$. Same with interior. Sure, they can be replaced, but leather seats are $$$ and cracked dash is a royal PITA to change out.

Best to save up for a nice one. e.g.:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...s-benz-e320-6/

BAT brings pretty high prices, but one can find one similar on CL for cheaper w/maybe a little more miles. E.g. my car I got for $6k. More mileage (137k miles), but had lots of service records and had no aforementioned issues.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:31 PM

1989 Mercedes-Benz 300CE
I'm biased and I like 94/95 facelift cars. And of course, I like Coupes.

I also like the 94/95s due to having the 217hp M104 engines. Sure, they have their issues, but find one that doesn't. E.g. find one w/updated wiring harnesses (tag near the batter showing mo/yr). Find one w/low miles or if high miles, watch for oil leaks. Signs of bad head gasket potentially.

But as aforementioned, find one WITHOUT RUST! Everything else can be replaced, including the engine/trans, but the body...$$$. Same with interior. Sure, they can be replaced, but leather seats are $$$ and cracked dash is a royal PITA to change out.

Best to save up for a nice one. e.g.:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...s-benz-e320-6/

BAT brings pretty high prices, but one can find one similar on CL for cheaper w/maybe a little more miles. E.g. my car I got for $6k. More mileage (137k miles), but had lots of service records and had no aforementioned issues.
I actually came across the very link you posted. That car is in very good shape. I'm sure another one will hopefully pop up on the site soon so I can purchase it.
Also yeah, they all will eventually have their issues being 20+ years old. Just don't want car body issues. I'm most likely going to mod everything else so they'll get replaced anyways. Haha.

Btw, do you know what the difference is between a E300 and a 300CE? I know what the 300CE is but can't figure out if the E300 (Coupe) is the same thing?
Old 07-24-2018, 02:39 PM

1994 e320 coupe
Never heard of a "E300."

The "E" designation started in 1994. Plus, in 1993, M104s got updated to 3.2 litres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W124
Old 07-24-2018, 04:30 PM

1989 Mercedes-Benz 300CE
Ah, then it should just be a 300E but people tend to switch it around I guess. Haha.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:20 PM

1994 e320 coupe
From a Benzworld post:

Moving on from my W124 Coupe project. This 1988 300CE is a Southern California car all it's life. ZERO rust, excellent paint. The interior is very clean with no dash cracks and the leather is soft and no tears or cracks. Headliner perfect. Sunroof fully operational. I bought this car last year thinking it was a low mileage car......well that was a BS story... but so it goes. Actually has about 275,000 on it! Good running car with lots of new suspension and brake parts. I bought a 50,000 mile 1991 300E sedan to swap out the whole drive train. Both cars are current registration and road worthy. I just want them gone. I am in Oceanside, CA. Come see them! I would post pics but it does not seem to work for me. Email me billyfeet@gmail.com or text me 561-301-7885 and I can send photos. Coupe is White with grey leather. Sedan is gold with tan leather. $2000 takes everything!

He lowered his price now to $500! Sounds like a good deal to me!
Old 07-26-2018, 11:24 PM

1989 Mercedes-Benz 300CE
From a Benzworld post:

Moving on from my W124 Coupe project. This 1988 300CE is a Southern California car all it's life. ZERO rust, excellent paint. The interior is very clean with no dash cracks and the leather is soft and no tears or cracks. Headliner perfect. Sunroof fully operational. I bought this car last year thinking it was a low mileage car......well that was a BS story... but so it goes. Actually has about 275,000 on it! Good running car with lots of new suspension and brake parts. I bought a 50,000 mile 1991 300E sedan to swap out the whole drive train. Both cars are current registration and road worthy. I just want them gone. I am in Oceanside, CA. Come see them! I would post pics but it does not seem to work for me. Email me billyfeet@gmail.com or text me 561-301-7885 and I can send photos. Coupe is White with grey leather. Sedan is gold with tan leather. $2000 takes everything!

He lowered his price now to $500! Sounds like a good deal to me!
Jheeze, everything is good but I need the car to be around 150K (88,000 Miles or Less). Cause we use the KM system, not Miles. 275,000 miles is a **** ton to rack up. Hahaha. I want to buy an 88' or 89' CE specifically in absolutely mint condition (I know they exist). Too bad it has high mileage. I've been shoppin around and came across a classic car dealer that has a 1992 300CE. I don't think I'll go for it tbh. I feel like the 88' - 89' has a slightly different body shape compared to the 92'. Do you know what the physical differences are between the 88'-89 and the early 90's 300CE?