E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1995 E320 Wiper problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1995 E320 Wiper problem

New to this Board & have checked the files but still need HELP. Just purchased an E320 Wagon 117k very clean. The wiper, single blade (front windshield) will not work, checked the fuse box.. OK. Live in the South so I don't feel it has been burned out pushing Ice/Snow. Rear wiper works fine. Where can I look? Please be very specific.
Thanks,
Old 01-22-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Probably the first step is to bracket the problem. See if you can access the electrical feed to the wiper motor to check if electrical power is going to the motor during activation. Then you know whether to check the motor or the fuse/switch.

While you're there, check the lube on the sliding arm. If it goes dry you can run into problems.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Almost a Member!

E 240 model 1999 Station wagon
I have the same Station wagon with single blade front wiper. Just for information and checking around, where is the sliding arm and how it can be lubed. Prevention is better then cure
Old 01-05-2006, 08:16 AM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Here is a copy-and-paste from my personal archives:

Maintaining Monowiper

Tools needed for repairing the wiper arm

1. Small mirror
2. Dental pick or small Allen wrench

Instructions

1. Raise the hood for improved access.
2. With the ignition off, rotate the wiper switch to the first position.
3. Turn the ignition on and off rapidly, so as to move the wiper arm out of the park position.
4. Move the arm manually to the straight up position.
5. Remove the three-sided rectangular cover (lower end of arm) that extends over the cap by pulling it straight up from the bottom end.
6. Using a sensitive fingertip or a dental mirror, locate the two small recessed rectangular openings on the underside of the cap at roughly the 5 and 7 o'clock positions.
7. Using a tool with a 90 deg end such as a dental pick or a small Allen wrench, release the catches in the access holes while pulling the cap upward with the left hand.
8. Now that the entire articulated wiper actuator is in plain view, you will see as I did that the shaft that extends the arm up into the windshield corners (twice per sweep) is very likely no longer lubricated.
9. Remove all the old grease from the shaft and bushing using for example a cloth soaked with lacquer thinner or similar, moving the arm back and forth to expose the arm surfaces inside the bushing.
10. Apply new lubricant and I don't mean WD-40. I used Sil-Glyde, a silicone grease which has a working temp range of -20 to +400 deg F.
11. Reassemble in reverse order.
12. Congratulate yourself for saving about $1000.

As to the position of the release catches, the two cars I have checked are my own C280 plus a '99 CLK430 (the replacement for the aforementioned '85 190E) which were identical. My car's wiper problem is entirely gone and after two months is still operating normally.

I subsequently asked two service writers plus the service manager at my dealer if this little operation is ever done as part of a scheduled service, especially at high mileages. The answer was no, never. I expressed some surprise. I do see that selling an expensive repair is a whole lot more profitable than applying a little bit of grease.

I also spoke last week to the two local MBUSA reps about this little adventure. When I told them how I had resolved the problem there were honestly interested and promised to follow up with perhaps a service recommendation.

Since nearly every MB passenger car built in the last 15 years uses the single arm wiper, I now expect all of you with cars so equipped to head on down to the car and perform this little maintenance job, thus derailing the sale of countless wiper motor assemblies.

To receive similar quality tips as described above on a daily basis, consider subscribing to the Mercedes-Benz Discussion List, which is located at the following site:
http://hsb.baylor.edu/html/easley/mercedes/welcome.html
Old 01-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks Kestas. The information given by youis very informative and useful. I had taken a print out of the same and following it word by word had helped one of my friend who had this problem in his Merc. Have seen him as the happiest man on earth as the Agency was asking a lot of money and time form him for this job

Thanking you once again
Old 01-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Kestas

The link which you have given in your thread is not opening. This was just for your information...............
Old 01-05-2006, 04:25 PM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
There's a number of Baylor links that are now dead. I'm glad I copied many of the pages. I'll have to update my archives.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:27 PM

Talking wiper drying out

well I'll be damned.........................................
you know I went right out to my car...........
pulled the covers off the wiper assembly...........( easy )
cleaned the old grease off the piston......applied the new lube (lithium)
the wiper even wipes faster now.............
well I'll be damned........................

keep up the good fight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!