E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

evaporator temperature sensor location ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
R/R the

evap temp sensor.
classic symptoms and value 5 should read in the high 30f to low 40f and it is 138f which indicates fault mode.
www.autohausaz.com carries them
easy diy if you follow the directions.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes E320
Thank you.

Did you think the error codes will go away after replacing the Evaporator Temp Sensor?

Thank you so much for your speedy reply!
Bill
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 PM

1999 Mercedes E320
One more question. When I use the defrost, hot air blows even in very hot weather. Can this be corrected?

Thanks again.
Bill
Old 08-09-2010, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Should be resolved when

the system is operating properly.
After you replace the evap sensor run the values and errors again and then while in error mode press both auto buttons at the same time and it will clear the errors.
Running the values again will show you that the sensor is operating properly and in that 38-42f range
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM

98 e320
I had the same issue, I replaced the evaporator sensor located on the driver side near your steering columm. It fixed it.

peachparts.com for a good price.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM

1999 Mercedes E320
Thank you very much. I have ordered the part and will install it on Friday.

I found the following directions for a 1998 Mercedes. Is it the same for the 1999?:

Remove the plastic housing underneath the steering column.
There are 3 large screws and 1 small screw.
Pull the plastic pressure fitted plug from being the accelerator so you can remove it from the car.
Unscrew the housing for the emergency brake cable and slide the latch through the opening.
There’s also a diag connector that needs to be removed.
Slide the top (from behind the cover) to the right and push the connector through from underneath.
There's a vent that comes off by turning the screw of half turn.
The carpet cover portion is simply pressure fitted. The part next to the console needs to slide up so you can remove it.
The sensor is attached to the evaporator just about in the middle the compartment about two feet up from the floor.
It has a couple of wires attached to the connector.
Pull the sensor out and then disconnect the cable.
Attach the new one and reinsert.
Just pay attention to how it was originally attached.

Thank you very much for your prompt replies!

Bill
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yep

you can even find a video of the under dash removal in the diy videos on www.benzworld.org w210 forum.
make sure the seat and the steering wheel are all the way back,do some yoga first and have a good flashlight on hand,it is dark down there
Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 AM

1999 Mercedes E320
Video & Defrost

I have been unable to successfully complete a search. Can you provide a link?

Also, is it normal for only hot air to come out during defrost (even in hot weather)? It gets hot in the car during the summer months when I need to remove windshield fog.

Thank you!

Bill
Old 09-26-2010, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 CLK500, W124 300E 24v, C107 450SLC
Picked up my newish E430 on Monday in Sydney.It was running well for about ten minutes then blew warm air as per this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...nditioner.html

I asked the sales guy to get it re-gassed. Mechanic who diagnosed it revealed a faulty evaporator temp sensor. Had to wait a couple of days for the part, mechanic would post it out and I'd install it myself.

Being in a right hand drive country (Australia) thinking the climate control box would be generic, I checked out a few forums, printed off the picture and started pulling out all the LHS trim. Glovebox, carpet under neath etc etc. NO SENSOR! I thought I was missing something, printed off the photos taken stateside and still could not find the darned thing.

Then the light bulb went off. I took a crack under the steering wheel on the RHS. There it was!

So a quick note for those who drive right hand drive vehicles (UK, Australia, Japan, South Africa etc) the evaporator sensor is on the drivers side (RHS) not behind the glovebox on the LHS. It is up to the left of the park brake assembly. Near the transmission tunnel.

It is a bear to get out and replace, due to the sensor fouling the park brake assembly. I found out by releasing the park brake and removing wiring connection it was a little easier.

Managed to get it out with a screwdriver and long nosed pliers after removing the wiring connection. Slipped it back in with long nosed pliers. New sensor dropped onto my face and behind the transmission tunnel carpet a couple of times. I think it took about 7 or 8 attempts to get it up there.

So.......the a/c unit is not a generic left hand unit there is also a RHS version.

Climate control unit readings are all good now. Number 5 (the evap sensor) is now at 5-9 degrees. A/C is icy cold and stays cold.

Thanks for a great forum.

Last edited by Mountain_Benz; 09-26-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 AM

E320 1996
thaaaaaaaaaaaanks
Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 AM

1998 S 320
How do you remove the carpet piece under the steering column?
Old 05-21-2016, 11:17 PM
HTJ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Mercedes C280
AC Evaporator Sensor Replacement

Hey folks. After looking at the pictures, I thought it would be worth while to pull out the instrument panel and see if I could see the sensor. Sure enough, it is right behind the instrument cluster on the right hand side. (Left hand drive cars). You can reach in through this opening and pull the sensor out and replace it without having to pull the dash cover underneath, which is a real bear. I have big hands and I was able to pull the sensor, unhook the wire and replace it without too much trouble. I guess if you accidentally drop it that would be a bad thing but the wire is long enough to bring it to the front and replace with relative ease.
The following users liked this post:
blackends (07-27-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 01:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 E320, 2001 S430
Originally Posted by mikejosh
Buy the new one first so you know what it looks like. I paid $40 for mine. You need to remove the plastic housing underneath the steering column. There are 3 large screw and 1 small screw. You also will need to pull the plastic pressure fitted plug from behing the accelerator so you can remove it from the car. Unscrew the housing for the emergency brake cable and slide the latch through the opening. There's also a diag connector that needs to be removed. Slide the top (from behind the cover) to the right and push the connector through from underneath. There's a vent that comes off by turning the screw of half turn. The carpet cover portion is simply pressure fitted. The part next to the console needs to slide up so you can remove it. The sensor is attached to the evaporator just about in the middle the compartment about two feet up from the floor. It has a couple of wires attached to the connector. Pull the sensor out and then disconnect the cable. Attach the new one and reinsert. Just pay attention to how it was originally attached. It took me about 30 minutes of which 20 were spent figuring out how to disassemble the housing.
Thanks for the advice/instructions. I have some revisions, however, that will probably help others. First, the heater vent comes off with a 1/4 turn, not a 1/2 turn. The vent should come off first. And second, the part next to the console slides down to remove it, not up. Also, I had three large screws but no small screw.

I couldn't get the ODBC 2 connector to go through the hole, I had to disconnect the plug from the housing. Don't forget to re-connect the hood release and ODBC connector before you put the panel back.

Finding the sensor was no problem, although my replacement part did not look exactly like the original. Getting it out was difficult (mostly because it's awkward to reach). Getting the wiring connector off the sensor was a special sort of difficult doing it one-handed. I ended up prying the connector off with a flat-head screwdriver. The bottom line is that it took me 2 hours, too, even with your help, but it saved me a ton of money and time. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2016, 02:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 E320, 2001 S430
Originally Posted by HTJ
Hey folks. After looking at the pictures, I thought it would be worth while to pull out the instrument panel and see if I could see the sensor. Sure enough, it is right behind the instrument cluster on the right hand side. (Left hand drive cars). You can reach in through this opening and pull the sensor out and replace it without having to pull the dash cover underneath, which is a real bear. I have big hands and I was able to pull the sensor, unhook the wire and replace it without too much trouble. I guess if you accidentally drop it that would be a bad thing but the wire is long enough to bring it to the front and replace with relative ease.
Are you kidding me? That's what I get for not reading the entire thread before doing the job.

Oh, well. I'll sure remember this trick if there's ever a next time.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:26 PM

e320 2003
Video on replacing it

I'm not sure how similar it might be to the 2003 E320, but here's a video on how to do it in one minute. Since I didn't see a video on it, I figured I'd make one for others.

cheers!

https://youtu.be/gUYOLQhYONI
Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 AM

98 Mercedes S500
evaporator temperature sensor location

Can some one tell me where is the evaporator temperature sensor mounted on the W140 1997, I remove the panel under streeing wheel, I still can’t find it perhaps it’s on the other side on the passenger side I’m not sure at all any help would be appreciated