E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

First post! Anyone know felt install for tint in LA?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2005 | 02:20 AM

e-klass
First post! Anyone know felt install for tint in LA?

I am a new member to the boards. I am looking for a tint shop in LA thats very reputable. I want to get felt installed so my tint doesnt get scratched. Also I think I have a tint on my car that affects the radio reception.

What is the best tint as far as quality?

What tint gives a high gloss look?

Thanks any advice is appreciated.

I want the darkest tint possible.
Old 08-06-2005 | 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
Wink

I cant help u with the location of a Cal tinter,,,but I can speak for the Solar Guard 20% tint I have.Its not the darkest,limo is the darkest shade and very illegal in most venues.The gloss or shine you mention is probably due to the tint quality.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115613

Last edited by stemags; 08-06-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2005 | 12:20 PM

e-klass
Thanks stemags, I already viewed your posting. I was going to post in yours regarding about LA tint. The tint looks very nice. Is it high gloss? you rear looks darker then your front.
Old 08-06-2005 | 04:38 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by phatstyles
I am a new member to the boards. I am looking for a tint shop in LA thats very reputable. I want to get felt installed so my tint doesnt get scratched. Also I think I have a tint on my car that affects the radio reception.
First and foremost welcome to the board. I'm not in LA, but if you ever go to San Diego (I used to live there), I have a friend who tints in SD (Solar Eclipse) Ben is the owner and best tinter there. He'll take care of you. If your tint is affecting your radio, it may have some metallic flakes that somehow screws up your reception. Other than that, tint is plastic and glue.

What is the best tint as far as quality?
Solar Guard is a well know brand that's been used for awhile. I'm sure there are new brands out there, just shop around and do a comparison. Talk to the shop owners. Many of them prefer to use the higher quality tint since they offer a lifetime warranty. It's too much of a hassel to re-do a customer's car because the tint faded or "bubbled up". I used to tint when I was younger. I havn't tinted a car in 10years so I don't know what's out there nowadays.

What tint gives a high gloss look?
I don't exactly know what you mean by the high gloss look. Tint is applied to the inside of the window. If the exterior of the window is clean it should look glossy. The only other thing I can think of that you're referring to is the metallic/reflective tint the gives it a "mirror look". Unless the Laws have changed since I've left California, they do not allow reflective tint on cars.

I want the darkest tint possible
Tint is graded. ie. roughly 5%, 20%, 35%, 50%, & 70% The percentage refers to the amount of light allowed into the car. Hence the lower the percentage the darker your tint. The 5% & 20% are sometimes referred to as "limo tint" since limosines tend to use these percentages to maintain the privacy of their clients while they ride in their limosines. California Law allows the rear 3 windows of passenger cars (daily drivers) to be tinted any shade. It's against California Law to tint the 2 front windows. Any shops caught tinting the front windows risk losing their business licence, that being said many shops will tint your front windows, but they will NOT give you a reciept to acknowledge that they knowlingly broke the Law. In fact, if you get caught by the cops and try to shift the blame on to them, they'll deny they tinted your front windows.

This combination worked for me when I was in California. I kept getting tickets for my tint until I used this combination:

Back 3 windows 5%
Front windows 70% This is so light it doesn't look tinted, but I did it to keep the UV light out of my car. If your car is bone stock (not lowered, no fancy rims, etc), you can probably get away with 50% on the front since it's pretty light.
Old 08-07-2005 | 02:22 AM

e-klass
Thanks for a good response.

So how many people out there actually have 5% all around with no tickets?
Old 08-07-2005 | 04:12 AM

2005 E320 CDI
Living in California and tinting your windows 5% all around WILL get you a ticket...it's just a matter of time. Ever since the gangbangers started doing "drive by shootings" cops have been on the look out for cars with tint on their front windows. You can try to fool them by driving with your front windows down, but when the cop pulls you over and notices that you have tint on your car he'll ask you to roll up your front windows a little so that he can check for tint.

I went 1 full week with 5% tint all around before I got my ticket. I took the tint off myself, had a cop sign it off (they charge $10), then turned the ticket in. I kept going with a lighter shade until the cops stop bothering me (I posted the specs in the previous post). I think they have a new Law regarding the amount of "fix it" tickets you can have regarding tint. I think it's 3 "fix it" tickets = 1 moving violation that goes on your record. I'm not sure though...maybe someone who knows a cop can comment on that.
Old 08-07-2005 | 11:18 AM

'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
Two things...

One, one of the TOP brands of tint film on the market today is Llumar's ATR+...I have this on my car, and the metallic flaking adds a little bit of luster to the tint. This is, by far, the best quality tint I have seen. I don't know about other brands, but Llumar is guaranteed against fading for a lifetime. It's so sad because you can easily point out the quality comparing other tints very easily...some fade within 2 to 3 years, especially in Florida sun, from what I've witnessed.

Second, from the sounds of CA, they're mean in those streets...over here in Missouri, they don't give a damn, as long as you're not being ridiculous. I've even spoken to the guys that tinted my windows, and he said that the 'state boys' consciously exercise their training with darker tint. On top of that, the guy is so cool that he gave me a receipt AND let me watch him!

When I had my 'copper-getter' red Camaro SS, I had 5% all around (not the windshield, of course) for two years, and not a SINGLE ticket. Now, I gave that car to my little bro, and he hasn't gotten pulled over yet! I figured if I didn't get pulled over in a RED Camaro SS, then I won't get pulled over anytime (at least around here). So when I got my E430, I did the same thing, but the tan interior reflected the light too much on the side mirrors. Plus, every once in a while, my parents would drive my car and they couldn't see too well out of it. I went and re-tinted the front two 35% from the same guy for free!

The two points are, one, Llumar ATR+ with metallic flakes is the nicest film available (IMHO), and two, I feel sorry for you if you live where they are picky about tint. Some people like it dark, and just because of the "drive-by" tint, doesn't mean people are looking to kill someone. Just another excuse to get some money for the state.
Old 08-07-2005 | 02:09 PM

2005 E320 CDI
ghaffar23 you're lucky the cops in MO don't bother you. Laws against tint vary from state to state.

I lived in San Diego, California for about 10yrs so I know the Laws there (posted above)

I am currently living in Hawaii. The Law here is a little more lax. They allow all windows to be tinted (except the windshield of course), but the darkest you can go is 35%. We can also use the reflective tint to have that "mirror look". Cars here undergo a "safety inspection" every year. So if you try to go darker, (if the cops don't get you) the longest you can get away with it is 1yr...until your next "safety inspection".

When I went to Las Vegas for a quick vacation, I saw cars tinted 5% all around INCLUDING THE WINDSHIELD using the reflective "mirror" tint. I'm guessing it can get so hot in LV, that they allow people to tint their cars to stay cool in the summer.
Old 08-07-2005 | 03:01 PM

e-klass
I was going to go with 5% all around. I think I am going to go with stemags 20% all around tint. looks clean and not to dark. or maybe ill just go 5% wait for the ticket. and fix it for 10$. I just confirmed with my unlce who had 5% all around he just got a fix it ticket recently.
Old 08-07-2005 | 05:25 PM

'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
Originally Posted by jrmd01
Cars here undergo a "safety inspection" every year. So if you try to go darker, (if the cops don't get you) the longest you can get away with it is 1yr...until your next "safety inspection".
Yeah, as do we, however, the yearly "safety" State inspection does not entail a tint check. Silly people. My tinter's philosophy is, "You are a grown-*** man...You don't need me telling you what you can and cannot put on." Hell, he had 15% in the front and 5% on the back of his ride!

Originally Posted by jrmd01
When I went to Las Vegas for a quick vacation, I saw cars tinted 5% all around INCLUDING THE WINDSHIELD using the reflective "mirror" tint. I'm guessing it can get so hot in LV, that they allow people to tint their cars to stay cool in the summer.
Yeah, I agree...most people down there understand...it's just too damn hot to have anything other than 5% or even 0%. In Florida, I wouldn't have any other way. You will be roast chicken in that sun without protection all-year.
Old 08-08-2005 | 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
Thanks Phat,,as for the rear looking darker,I am pretty sure that is a result of the light coming in from the windshield,which is not tinted.So in the daytime,you can see a figure in the front seat,but you cant make out features,at night,its impossible to see anyone at all in front.The rear has the added darkness of the rear window tint to obscure vision.

Gloss,Jrmd answered that question,its shiny because of the interior install,and the shine of the glass is what you see.
Good luck,post pics.

Thanks stemags, I already viewed your posting. I was going to post in yours regarding about LA tint. The tint looks very nice. Is it high gloss? you rear looks darker then your front.
Old 08-08-2005 | 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
www.tintzone.net in Rowland Heights. They do the felt.
Old 08-08-2005 | 08:03 PM

e-klass
Thanks I already took your advice from another post I asked you about your tint.