E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Lowering my Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430 , E500
Lowering my Car

Does anyone has experience after lowering your car. I am planning to replace my spring with H R spring. This would lower my car 1.25. Do you experience more bounce after the installation. All input is highly appreciated.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:13 PM
SDR

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
'99 C43, '12 C63, '13 E350, '14 Sprinter
I've lowered every car I've ever owned with the exception of the Expedition
The results depend on a number of variables - shocks, ride height, stiffness of springs, etc.
I lowered our E430 using #1 pads and E55 springs and shocks. This only lowered it about 1/2" and was due to the pads and not the springs. The ride is a little firmer, but still very 210-ish. On the C43 it has Vogtland springs and Koni adjustable shocks. It's firm, but doesn't "bounce" at all. The 190 has Eibach springs and old Sachs shocks with about 80K miles on them and it does bounce a tad. The bigger issue is that the springs bind because there is only about 2" of travel in the springs.
In my experience the H&R are decent springs and are a bit stiffer than the Eibachs. Personally I like the Vogtlands because they have more travel with the same lowering.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:33 PM

E430 , E500
lowering

Thanks for your input...im not replacing my shocks at this time..we will see...also changing my rotor to brembo...hope it will look ok..
Old 04-28-2006, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by SDR
<.....> In my experience the H&R are decent springs and are a bit stiffer than the Eibachs. Personally I like the Vogtlands because they have more travel with the same lowering.
granted, I have a cold and in a Nyquil daze....but the statement about Vogtlands doesn't make sense. If you have lowered your vehicle you have less travel....yes? How then can the V springs give you more travel?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
Originally Posted by raymond g-
granted, I have a cold and in a Nyquil daze....but the statement about Vogtlands doesn't make sense. If you have lowered your vehicle you have less travel....yes? How then can the V springs give you more travel?
From what I can see, he is saying the vogtlands have more travel vs. the H&R's do.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
I Lowered my 2000 W210 Estate with H/R springs with #1 bump spring pads and Sport Bilstein shocks added 18 inch AMG Mono blocks..Looks great and rides Good! Also added AMG E55 sway bars....

Note..You SHOULD roll the front fenders to avoid any rubbing as AMG does on its cars
Old 04-28-2006, 01:18 PM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Here mine with H&R with 5mm(#1pads)
Old 04-28-2006, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320
Originally Posted by alden168
Does anyone has experience after lowering your car. I am planning to replace my spring with H R spring. This would lower my car 1.25. Do you experience more bounce after the installation. All input is highly appreciated.
I've been dragging my feet on doing the exact same thing for quite some time; I guess I have been waiting for raymond g to lower his, post pictures, and tell me that all went perfect!

I've looked into both H&R and Eibach springs; I'm told that are both similar in drop. A local shop I've spoken with recommends Eibach, but then I recently saw someone post complaining that his Eibach lowered vehicle sagged after a few years, so I'm not sure which spring is best.

I have been told that the OEM shocks do not have to be replaced to use either spring set up. I sure hope you'll post any information that you are able to obtain; maybe I'll quit talking and 'get-her done'... by the way, I have an appointment with another local shop this Thursday and will post their recommendations / suggestions.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
that's what i'm gathering also, Richard....ie Eibachs are scootch softer. so it's
possible that they use different gauge/winding, though both are clearly pro-
gressive wound. we just dont see the tech specs on poundage needed to
compare the two. so we're left with subjective evaluations from colleagues
with SOP observations. but i've been reading for a month now....and waiting
for my IRS return of $2k.

springs i considered were Eibach, H&R, and Vogtland
shocks considered were Bilsteins, Koni, and Eibach

looking like I'll be doing H&R and Bilstein HDs and #2 in rear and #1 in front

unless something earth shattering or otherwise compelling comes up

....yeah, i keep waiting on you to do the R&D first also...
Old 04-28-2006, 05:45 PM
SDR

I should have been more clear - the Vogtlands have more travel than other lowering springs. This is due to the fewer coils in the springs. Here's a thread with some pics that show it better:
https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-tires-suspension-brakes-forum/81409-vogtland-brabus-out.html
What happens with my Eibachs is that on some bumps the springs compress fully which leaves no suspension. The Vogtlands have never done this since they have about another 1" of travel before fully compressing. Hope that clears it up a little.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
sweeet. love the link to the previous thread. i've been soaking up the
suspension mod info for the past month or so and missed that one. okay
i get it now, fewer coils means more tauntly designed spring. i'll study
the specs and photos more now....thanks much! r-

p.s. so the Vogtland are single wound vs progressive of the H&R and Eibachs,
it appears, izzat it? also since the V springs have higher # rating does that
also mean that the car would sit tad higher than same length spring which
has tighter (lower #) coils.....all things being equal otherwise?

Last edited by raymond g-; 04-28-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
We seem to have visited this issue quite a lot lately.

When I showed my Vogtland springs to a friend (before I got them installed), she said "they're purple! That's gay!" I told her you don't see them once they're on the car. haha
Old 04-28-2006, 11:21 PM
SDR

...fewer coils means more tauntly designed spring.
Not always. Some springs have less coils and aren't stiffer. There is a variety in the market to satisfy almost every preference. I don't pay much attention to the specs - I prefer to use my SOTP gauge As for the V's, I find them to be a great balance of firm ride while still having a suspension. Some people go overly stiff and actually lose handling as a result. A car that bounces on every bump doesn't handle as well as one that can absorb some of them. There's a happy medium we have to strike given the road conditions we drive.

does that also mean that the car would sit tad higher than same length spring which has tighter (lower #) coils.....all things being equal otherwise?
If the spring is in fact stiffer, it would sit a tad higher. This is where you can fine tune with spring pads. They usually publish a general range -1.25" - 1.5" for example.

I think ride comfort and height are worth expirementing with. I've sold a few sets of used springs for $25-$50 less than I paid after trying them for a few weeks. It was worth the investment to find the right mix to match the preferences of my wife and I. There's no reason to settle for less than what makes you happy when it comes to the car you drive regularly. Heck - we spend more than this on cable TV, Internet, beer and coffee each month