E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Some climate control buttons not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'99 E320 4Matic Wagon
Some climate control buttons not working

The "-" button on the climate control unit in my 99 E320 isn't working which means that I can't turn the fan down or off. The "+" button is working fine, so I'm wondering if the contact on the "-" side of the rocker switch is broken.

The air filter button and recycle buttons also seem to have stopped working. When I hit them, the button led lights do not turn on.

Other than that, I would say that the climate control is working fine. I have heat and A/C, I just can't turn the fan down or activate the filter or recycle features.

Any ideas?

ps - on a slightly related note....is it possible to swap the climate control unit and stereo? I'm going to install a new car stereo next week and was wondering what my options are. I noticed that the climate control unit has the same kind of keys to release it from the dash as the stereo.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the automatic feature still work? if so, at least you'll still have some degree of control simply by setting a temp...

You can usually find climate control panels at eBay on the cheap...
Old 06-13-2006, 04:53 PM

Sorry to interupt your thread.

Just want to know what could be wrong if the backlight of climate control does not work, during the day it is ok but at night can not see any readings on it. All other backlight are ok.

Thnx
Old 06-13-2006, 05:02 PM

'99 E320 4Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Wood'sBenz
Does the automatic feature still work? if so, at least you'll still have some degree of control simply by setting a temp...
Yup. When necessary, I can hit AUTO and then quickly hit "+" to go back to manual before the fan ramps all the way up. Kind of annoying, but at least it doesn't happen very often.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:05 PM

'99 E320 4Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by scorpo
Just want to know what could be wrong if the backlight of climate control does not work, during the day it is ok but at night can not see any readings on it. All other backlight are ok.
I recall seeing another thread that explained how to change the backlight when I was searching for my problem. I can search for it again if you can't find it...
Old 06-13-2006, 05:16 PM

'99 E320 4Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by scorpo
Here you go:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/24945-backlight-out-climate-control-98-e320.html

Search on "climate control backlight" for other threads...
Old 06-14-2006, 05:02 AM

thanks a lot.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 clk55, 99 v70, 99 jetta vr6, 78 280z w/sm blk chevy
Originally Posted by rshoemaker
The "-" button on the climate control unit in my 99 E320 isn't working which means that I can't turn the fan down or off. The "+" button is working fine, so I'm wondering if the contact on the "-" side of the rocker switch is broken.

The air filter button and recycle buttons also seem to have stopped working. When I hit them, the button led lights do not turn on.

Other than that, I would say that the climate control is working fine. I have heat and A/C, I just can't turn the fan down or activate the filter or recycle features.

Any ideas?

ps - on a slightly related note....is it possible to swap the climate control unit and stereo? I'm going to install a new car stereo next week and was wondering what my options are. I noticed that the climate control unit has the same kind of keys to release it from the dash as the stereo.
Hi, this reply is probably a bit late. However, I just repaired the - + rocker on my climate control today.

After removing the Climate control from the car carefully taking it apart (T8 or T9 torx and a T10), I discovered, in my case, that the actual switches on the PC board were fine.

What was broken on the -+ rocker were one of the extension (sorry no pics) that pushes on the switch had cracked and was not able to depress the switch on the PC board.

I was able to use superglue and baking soda to reattach the extension to the rocker piece. I use baking soda to help build up and reenforce the broken piece. BTW - don't breath the vapors coming off the baking soda when you drop superglue on it.

Not sure if you all can use this info, but it did work for me. took about 45 min to do and saved about $800 at the dealer for a new climate control.