E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Feeler: burlwood and leather MB steering wheels!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 02 X5
Feeler: burlwood and leather MB steering wheels!

I am thinking about starting a business.......... to provide MB Forum members with upgraded, revamped steering wheels, using your mercedes benz parts but customized with a film veneer burl wood top and bottom matching your car, and new leather matching your interior color.

My connection here can do them for a lot less than what I have seen on ebay or searching for OE and hoping it matches. I wanted an AMG wheel so I started looking. Mine is fairly tired looking after 97K, with shiny leather and some cracking. I love the look of an AMG steering wheel, but they are hard to find and about a grand if I could get a new one. Not a lot of options out there under $500.

I thought I'd offer the service to forum members first. I am working out the details but the wheels will start under $500. We can also fix burlwood panels, such as the shifter plate and cupholder cover, or the flip-up panels, etc. We can do veneer carbon fiber as well or full carbon fiber parts.

I am thinking a purchaser can pull their own wheel, send it to us, and use one of our loaner wheels. The new wheel is made and you get yours back.

Please PM me if interested. Pictures next week. This product is available for obviously any year car that the steering wheel can be removed from.

Last edited by notoriousALE; 11-22-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
maybe you should post some pictures of your product.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 AM

02 S500 02 X5
I will be posting pictures on Mon-Tues when I get mine back.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'98 E320 4Matic, '85 380SL
Sounds like a great business.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes AMG
im interested in a real carbon fiber dash. not that fake print out garbage. if you could do that that would be fantastic!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:44 AM

'84 911 Carrera & '01 E320
Not sure if this will help or hurt your business.....
I just got a quote from a guy that does FANTASTIC work; matching original factory OE colors and type of leather with factory stitching patterns, factory wood repair or complete re-do, loaner wheels, and can even customize the foam shape to make a standard wheel appear like a sport version.
His cost is only $209 for a standard recover and only another $75 for the custom build-up/shaping.
The obvious down side is that you could end up with an AMG-type wheel with the stock vinyl airbag cover.

Anyway, this guy has been in business doing wheel repairs for many years and he can do basic repairs all the way up through concourse restoration.

I'm seriously considering the custom sport type for my e320.
Here's a pic of one he did recently:
Attached Thumbnails Feeler: burlwood and leather MB steering wheels!-wheels-oct06-158.jpg  
Old 11-28-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
How about a burl walnut and java leather one? Not the AMG type, but the regular? What is that running for? Also, does he provide a core, or does he use mine?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by notoriousALE
I am thinking about starting a business.......... to provide MB Forum members with upgraded, revamped steering wheels, using your mercedes benz parts but customized with a film veneer burl wood top and bottom matching your car, and new leather matching your interior color.

My connection here can do them for a lot less than what I have seen on ebay or searching for OE and hoping it matches. I wanted an AMG wheel so I started looking. Mine is fairly tired looking after 97K, with shiny leather and some cracking. I love the look of an AMG steering wheel, but they are hard to find and about a grand if I could get a new one. Not a lot of options out there under $500.

I thought I'd offer the service to forum members first. I am working out the details but the wheels will start under $500. We can also fix burlwood panels, such as the shifter plate and cupholder cover, or the flip-up panels, etc. We can do veneer carbon fiber as well or full carbon fiber parts.

I am thinking a purchaser can pull their own wheel, send it to us, and use one of our loaner wheels. The new wheel is made and you get yours back.

Please PM me if interested. Pictures next week. This product is available for obviously any year car that the steering wheel can be removed from.
I would definately be interested in one of these wheels if the price was right. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 PM

My source uses YOUR wheel and can typically provide a loaner free of charge.
They have a typical disclaimer about driving the car while using their wheel and not being liable/responsible for ANY damages, etc. but who can blame them for that?

The cost of a std MB wheel to be recovered is $209.00. Some colors have an additional charge, but it is nominal.
He quoted me an additional $75 for the reshaping to make it like a sport wheel.

The guy is located in FLA. and I think he ships via UPS ground.

BTW, he does wood, leather, combination, etc. He prefers NOT to do the perforated leather that many of the sport wheels use because it is extremely difficult to make it tight.

I'd provide contact info for him here, but I need to ask his permission first. Not that he should mind, but it isn't my place to offer these prices to the list without his approval (even though they are advertised on his website)

Hey NotoriousALE: I'll send you a PM to see if we are talking about the same place.
+++
Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
Originally Posted by dan_cobb
My source uses YOUR wheel and can typically provide a loaner free of charge.
They have a typical disclaimer about driving the car while using their wheel and not being liable/responsible for ANY damages, etc. but who can blame them for that?

The cost of a std MB wheel to be recovered is $209.00. Some colors have an additional charge, but it is nominal.
He quoted me an additional $75 for the reshaping to make it like a sport wheel.

The guy is located in FLA. and I think he ships via UPS ground.

BTW, he does wood, leather, combination, etc. He prefers NOT to do the perforated leather that many of the sport wheels use because it is extremely difficult to make it tight.

I'd provide contact info for him here, but I need to ask his permission first. Not that he should mind, but it isn't my place to offer these prices to the list without his approval (even though they are advertised on his website)

Hey NotoriousALE: I'll send you a PM to see if we are talking about the same place.
+++

So, no wheel for him = $209 plus what modifications (burl walnut, java leather) I want? Let me know...looks like he does quality work. And the price? Well, that just looks plain great to me!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
so it's $209 to get my old steering wheel renewed? i'd consider it but my car's been having lots of problems, i might just save up for future repairs, rather than mods.

fyi - wood steering wheels look nice, but they get scratched up REAL easy. our family owns several MBs w/ wooden wheels, and rings & even fingernails do major damage
Old 11-30-2006, 10:05 AM

I spoke with the manufacturer and received permission to post his website info.
Here is some additional info that he provided for me in an email:
+++++
Thanks - Actually we are making a small production run on that wheel I sent you a picture of for the older and 94-00 e class and 01 e class with similar set up. They will go on sale in our ebay store. For some tech reason I can not place it properly in my web site www.aglausa.com. Picture comes out too small. So if anyone is interested - I can always email pictures or refer to the ebay store.
Appreciate it very much. So whenever you are ready let me know
Alan Gun
+++++

The wheel he refers to is the one I posted a picture of. I'm guessing that a 'small production run' means that you would actually exchange your wheel for a fresh one. Core charge or not, I am unsure.
Dan
+++

Last edited by dan_cobb; 11-30-2006 at 10:09 AM.