E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Another double din retro in the works!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c300
Originally Posted by leomd
1) wire the ACC and illumination leads to the cig lighter below (search on firefox's post)
So the VW harness illumination and ACC don't work?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by dylancarter
So the VW harness illumination and ACC don't work?

dylan - check out firefox31 post on how to wire up the ACC and the illumination...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...post-w210.html

its seems difficult but its actually very easy - you simply tap off the illumination and power leads of the below cig lighter. Once you do this everything is perfect. The cig lighter has its own fused line so it can carry more than enough power to the D3.

The grounded parking brake line and mute wire is known as the D3 override and does exactly what you state..it will allow you to work the NAV while moving and or watch movies.

The trim piece is useless - you have to make your own. I purchased a piece of thin abs trim plastic at a local electronics store and cut out trim piece with a knife - take your time making the proper measurements. There are no metra kits or conversion kits that I found. Once you make the plastic trim piece you can in effect just place the wood trim over it and it will hold it snug in place - dont use any adhesive. You will also have to make some brackets that will hold the D3 into the stock plastic bracket - this is a bit time consuming but not the difficult. Just take your time to make sure the unit lines up in the center of the opening of the final wood trim.

I had the bose system and used the regular speaker leads, however the first time i hooked it up the volume was way to sensitive and the voice commands are way too loud. There are many ways to deal with this - i purchased the Schoche amplifier integration unit for $20 at buy.com. The unit allows you to reduce the volume/gain on the stock unit so that you can still use the bose amp and not risk blowing it up by overpowering the bose amp. Firfox has a great post that talks all about this. I would not use the line level leads becasue the voltage does not match the bose (4v) and you will have very weak (barley audible) signal.

To remove the stereo and AC climate box you will need the stereo key - crutchfield game me them in my order - you might have them as Zachs system came from crutchfield.

You can read more info on my recent post over at benz world...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...r-d3-unit.html

good luck and PM if you have any more questions.
Attached Thumbnails Another double din retro in the works!-d31.jpg  

Last edited by leomd; 05-01-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold 2003 CLK 500,2003 SL 500,2006 Acura MDX,1998 BMW M3 convertible
hi can you tell me where i can get this dash kit?i have a 99 e320 and i want to install a double din radio please let me know
Old 02-09-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
It's not so much a kit, but a combination of different parts and custom fabrication. You basically have two options:

(1) You can get the front trim and internal plastic structural cage from the dealer. For the trim, you need to order the one that has the right number of buttons on the top for your options. These two parts will give you an opening large enough for the Mercedes Comand nav unit, which I think is bigger than double din. So then you need to buy/fabricate a bezel to go around the actual head unit you want to install.

(2) Another option: cut out the plastic cage and the piece in your front trim between your radio and AC. Then, relocate your AC down to where your cubby hole is. You'll still need to create a bezel to make your head unit fit... and now for your AC too (more of a fascia trim piece for the AC).

I am in the process of doing #2 for a car computer that I built as I really wanted my computer screen to be up higher than the comand unit opening. It's actually in the car but it's not quite done. I have not mounted the AC in the new location or put trim on it so it's just sitting there. The touchscreen is installed but I want to do more work on the bezel to make it look factory.

Good luck!

Last edited by CA_Tallguy; 02-09-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:03 AM

hey where did you get this radio dash kit? i need one please email me at latinflavor1@aol.com
Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 AM

can you help me find the vss wire on my 1999 E 320! i want to install nav
Old 02-16-2008, 04:08 PM

2000 E320
Can't find the double din wood dash kit

Originally Posted by Zackb911
Well after months of debate I finally bit the bullet on doing a in-dash double din navigation conversion I'm tired of using my TomTom for finding my way and I find while it works well the map memory it has just cant come close, and the hassle of mounting and running the power cord got old, having my sirius too makes for too many accessories around...

So I bought a Pioneer AVIC-D3 last night on ebay for $799 shipped!(retail $1000) This is a brand new model for March 2007 and it has everything! The reviews from people that have them have all been awesome. I plan on getting the bluetooth, sirius, and ipod adaptors as well and just have a nice clean all in one system

So I have a couple questions and I'll also be putting up pics and covering the install as I go along.

Questions:
1. Where is the "VSS" wire on my 97 E300 Diesel?
2. My car stereo is stock OEM, its a 97 non fiber optic. Will there be any rewiring of amps needed etc?

The overall cost should not be too much and I think this is going to come out awesome.
Avic-D3 $800 (ebay)
OEM DD Wood Trim ($310 Steve @ MBenzNL) <- ~3 week wait
OEM DD Cage ($25 dealer or Fastlane)
harness & ant adaptor ($20

So for ~$1200 I should have a really nice setup! I will keep you guys posted and if anyone has any tips or insight lay it on me.

You can read up on them @ Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tLUTNTh...00&I=130AVICD3

Some of the key points in picking this are:
1. Text to speech, it speaks the names of the roads to take: "Turn right onto Main St" etc.
2. Switchable illumination, hopefully it will have something close to the MB amber
3. Plays dvds even DIVx burned ones, ipod video, sirius, and bluetooth ability, excellent Ipod integration, it does it all!
4. Reviews, everyone so far loves it, I was looking at Eclipse' before and this seems the best bang for the buck hands down.

The only flaw, although not a big deal to me, there is one disk slot so you cant have the nav disk in, and a dvd in at the same time. However when you put in a destination it saves the trip to its internal memory so you can load a trip have it save and then put in a dvd to play. It will follow the route, it just wont be able to recalculate and that stuff, without reinserting the Nav disk. I am always listening to sirius or my Ipod anyway so no worries.

Zack
Can someone send post a working link on the double din wood dash kit... PLEASE!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
If you are looking for a dual/double din retrofit, start off by looking at info on how to retrofit Mercedes Comand (one m) into your vehicle. You'll most likely want to get the same wood trim:

W210 Comand Retrofit

NOTE: you'll most likely end up buying this trim at the dealer and it ain't cheap. Ideally you need to get the trim that has the right number of switches at the top. I read in some threads that the variations might not be available so you may end up having plugs in some of the holes of one with all the openings. If you don't want to spend the $$ you can also cut out the area between the AC and radio in your current trim and then come up with a way to mount your AC down where the cubby is.

Last edited by CA_Tallguy; 02-16-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
looks great