E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Another double din retro in the works!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E300D
Another double din retro in the works!

Well after months of debate I finally bit the bullet on doing a in-dash double din navigation conversion I'm tired of using my TomTom for finding my way and I find while it works well the map memory it has just cant come close, and the hassle of mounting and running the power cord got old, having my sirius too makes for too many accessories around...

So I bought a Pioneer AVIC-D3 last night on ebay for $799 shipped!(retail $1000) This is a brand new model for March 2007 and it has everything! The reviews from people that have them have all been awesome. I plan on getting the bluetooth, sirius, and ipod adaptors as well and just have a nice clean all in one system

So I have a couple questions and I'll also be putting up pics and covering the install as I go along.

Questions:
1. Where is the "VSS" wire on my 97 E300 Diesel?
2. My car stereo is stock OEM, its a 97 non fiber optic. Will there be any rewiring of amps needed etc?

The overall cost should not be too much and I think this is going to come out awesome.
Avic-D3 $800 (ebay)
OEM DD Wood Trim ($310 Steve @ MBenzNL) <- ~3 week wait
OEM DD Cage ($25 dealer or Fastlane)
harness & ant adaptor ($20

So for ~$1200 I should have a really nice setup! I will keep you guys posted and if anyone has any tips or insight lay it on me.

You can read up on them @ Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tLUTNTh...00&I=130AVICD3

Some of the key points in picking this are:
1. Text to speech, it speaks the names of the roads to take: "Turn right onto Main St" etc.
2. Switchable illumination, hopefully it will have something close to the MB amber
3. Plays dvds even DIVx burned ones, ipod video, sirius, and bluetooth ability, excellent Ipod integration, it does it all!
4. Reviews, everyone so far loves it, I was looking at Eclipse' before and this seems the best bang for the buck hands down.

The only flaw, although not a big deal to me, there is one disk slot so you cant have the nav disk in, and a dvd in at the same time. However when you put in a destination it saves the trip to its internal memory so you can load a trip have it save and then put in a dvd to play. It will follow the route, it just wont be able to recalculate and that stuff, without reinserting the Nav disk. I am always listening to sirius or my Ipod anyway so no worries.

Zack

Last edited by Zackb911; 03-17-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
Originally Posted by Zackb911
Well after months of debate I finally bit the bullet on doing a in-dash double din navigation conversion I'm tired of using my TomTom for finding my way and I find while it works well the map memory it has just cant come close, and the hassle of mounting and running the power cord got old, having my sirius too makes for too many accessories around...

So I bought a Pioneer AVIC-D3 last night on ebay for $799 shipped!(retail $1000) This is a brand new model for March 2007 and it has everything! The reviews from people that have them have all been awesome. I plan on getting the bluetooth, sirius, and ipod adaptors as well and just have a nice clean all in one system

So I have a couple questions and I'll also be putting up pics and covering the install as I go along.

Questions:
1. Where is the "VSS" wire on my 97 E300 Diesel?
2. My car stereo is stock OEM, its a 97 non fiber optic. Will there be any rewiring of amps needed etc?

The overall cost should not be too much and I think this is going to come out awesome.
Avic-D3 $800 (ebay)
OEM DD Wood Trim ($310 Steve @ MBenzNL) <- ~3 week wait
OEM DD Cage ($25 dealer or Fastlane)
harness & ant adaptor ($20

So for ~$1200 I should have a really nice setup! I will keep you guys posted and if anyone has any tips or insight lay it on me.

You can read up on them @ Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tLUTNTh...00&I=130AVICD3

Some of the key points in picking this are:
1. Text to speech, it speaks the names of the roads to take: "Turn right onto Main St" etc.
2. Switchable illumination, hopefully it will have something close to the MB amber
3. Plays dvds even DIVx burned ones, ipod video, sirius, and bluetooth ability, excellent Ipod integration, it does it all!
4. Reviews, everyone so far loves it, I was looking at Eclipse' before and this seems the best bang for the buck hands down.

The only flaw, although not a big deal to me, there is one disk slot so you cant have the nav disk in, and a dvd in at the same time. However when you put in a destination it saves the trip to its internal memory so you can load a trip have it save and then put in a dvd to play. It will follow the route, it just wont be able to recalculate and that stuff, without reinserting the Nav disk. I am always listening to sirius or my Ipod anyway so no worries.

Zack

wait wait wait, you can get a bracket for that!? please reply i just might do it
Old 03-17-2007, 11:47 AM

again, another quote as a second post... atleast delete the pictures if ur going to quote every topic...

nice HU Zackb911, let us know how it works out. i had the 2din Eclipse in my other car and loved it. good luck with the install...
Old 03-17-2007, 12:11 PM

1997 E300D
Originally Posted by TommyGunn
wait wait wait, you can get a bracket for that!? please reply i just might do it

Yup, you need the double din bracket which is the plastic cage behind the center wood, and a new wood piece. They are the ones that are used on "Command" equiped vehicles...

As I get it hooked up Ill take photos and give you guys my review!
Old 03-17-2007, 12:41 PM

1999 E300 TurboDiesel
Originally Posted by TommyGunn
Yes the bracket is fairly cheap. P/N A210 689 09 16.

Some people have had luck cutting the old one to make a double DIN unit fit, but I don't think it's as sturdy. I have my old single DIN bracket on eBay right now, bacause I didn't want to use a cut bracket.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 E300 TD
I'm going to copy you, I've been looking for a navi convesion setup for my 1999 E300 TD. Except the bad thing will be I will still have the ugly climatronic right below it!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
FWIW, the OE Command attaches to the bracket with two sheet metal screws (torx head).

Whether this is how an aftermarket unit might attach is possibly another story.

Have spare wood piece in configuration shown used for $150. (Retrofitted heated seats)
Attached Thumbnails Another double din retro in the works!-image1.gif   Another double din retro in the works!-w210wood.jpg  

Last edited by lkchris; 03-17-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:08 PM

1997 E300D
Originally Posted by lxl_josh_lxl
I'm going to copy you, I've been looking for a navi convesion setup for my 1999 E300 TD. Except the bad thing will be I will still have the ugly climatronic right below it!
The climatronic stays above, in order to make it fit, you lose the cubby with the flip door below the stock radio. I cant wait to get it and see the illumination options and if it will have a setting that is a close match.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 E300 TD
I can't wait for you to do it also, take pictures of before, and make steps because I'm sure a lot of us will attempt to copy you haha. Yeah I forgot I lose the cubby but that is nothing when you have a Navi system with amazing features in the car! btw chris, did steve do that plate or did you?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:28 PM

1997 E300D
Hey guys I actually bought another one of these tonight. Crutchfield is having a deal on them (15% off makes it $850 but you get a FREE backup cam goes for $250!!, and install accessories too!) I found it on the avic411 forum site, If anyone else is thinking about buying one check out the thread:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4974

And if you do buy use my referral code p21x8-kzr7q-fhpcb so you'll get an extra $20 off

I cant wait to get this bad boy, I ordered the sirius tuner, ipod cable, and bluetooth module.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by lkchris
FWIW, the OE Command attaches to the bracket with two sheet metal screws (torx head).

Whether this is how an aftermarket unit might attach is possibly another story.

Have spare wood piece in configuration shown used for $150. (Retrofitted heated seats)
I'll buy that sparewood piece from you, just in case I wanna try out some crazy stuff. If you agree to sell, pls PM me for payPal invoice. Thanks
Old 03-18-2007, 12:49 PM

1997 E300D
Here is a good representation for those that have not seen an aftermarket double din installed

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...onversion.html
Old 03-20-2007, 12:50 PM

Zach - looks great... and at the price you cant go wrong. You can easily solve the CD/NAV dillema by getting the 6 or 12 disk cd changer in your trunk like the stock unit.

The crutchfield deal is very good and you have me seriously thinking about doing the D3 - it got such great reviews and I like the fact that the face plate is stationary and the bluetooth module is fully integrated. The face plate wont slam into the gear selector when it opens like the othe pioneers and alpine.

The only issue i have is losing the steering wheel controls (the reason why i was married to the idea of the Alpine HU), but now I am wondering if one could use the European Alpine steering wheel module with the pioneer D3 after some modificaition- seems it should be a straightforward rewire. I think the issue is that our cars run a fiber optic line - at least on my 2k E55

Curious to see how snug the unit will fit in the DD opening - please keep us up to date with pictures etc.

p.s. You should find your speed sensor wire under the passanger door sill by the pillar post (in case you didnt know that already)

Cheers and good luck!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
Here is a good representation for those that have not seen an aftermarket double din installed

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...onversion.html
looks like i just found my next project
Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 PM

1997 E300D
Do it up and get in on that Crutchfield deal is awesome! I have everything; cage, deck, sirius, ipod cable, except the wood trim which I should get in 1-3 weeks from Steve. I am also getting the updated bluetooth module once that gets released. Today I got the harness all soldered up, and tried it out and the thing is AWESOME!!

The illumination color can be fine tuned so I am sure I'll find a perfect match for stock as well. I even popped in a DVD and it looked and sounded great, although Gone in 60 Seconds may have been a bit much in my slow diesel

Now I just need to wait and be patient for the wood trim

You can also load custom backgrounds and startup screens so I had a guy make me these although I think they're a bit much for me...
Attached Thumbnails Another double din retro in the works!-untitled_1_331.jpg   Another double din retro in the works!-untitled_2_130.jpg  

Last edited by Zackb911; 03-21-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:03 PM

You can also load custom backgrounds and startup screens so I had a guy make me these although I think they're a bit much for me...
lol - love the idea of being able to custom your own startupscreens.

After some thought, I decided to pull the trigger. I just placed the order yesterday, the Crutchfield deal was too good to pass and the D3 is clearly the best sollution IMO- thanks for the fyi - Now, if I can only find the patience to wait for the new wood trim panel

Once you get the HU in please take some pics..really curious to see the fit. Also - what wiring did you end up using for the switched power lead?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
any of you guys know if ill need that bracket and/or wood surround when installed the D3 on my 99 CLk430 (w208)?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic Wagon
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but did you ever find out the amp wiring you were looking for? In my 2002 E320 wagon, I used the stock Bose amp and speakers by soldering RCA jacks onto the Metra #70-1784 "VW" wiring harness. The aftermarket headunits send line level RCA to the Bose. Here's info on the Bose wiring, but yours may be different.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...g-harness.html

Or, maybe you've already installed this. How does it look?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:52 PM

1997 E300D
I haven't officially installed everything yet, since Steve sent me the wrong wood panel by mistake. I did however solder everything up using the VW harness and connected it to the factory harness and everything sounded and seemed awesome... I didn't see a need for the low level rca route, although I dont think I have the Bose system either.

I actually may be selling the D3 and everything. With the wood panel mix up I asked Steve for a refund instead of waiting on another one, If he gives it to me I think I'll just sell my D3 along with the goodies I have for it like the ipod cable, bluetooth module, sirius tuner, OEM plastic DD cage. The wiring is already done all someone would need is the wood panel for their W210. If anyone is interested let me know.

Zack
Old 04-16-2007, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
I have an extra Double Din wood piece with 6 Buttons up top, not sure what options your car has
Old 04-20-2007, 01:25 AM

Zack-

Why are you pulling the plug on the D3 install? Is it a fitment issue or are you not happy with the look of the D3?

I just recieved my wood panel from Steve yesterday and bench mounted/tested the unit to the plastic bracket and trim. I had to custom make a plastic trim ring that fits the D3 and sits behind the wood panel trim, but once I had that done I think the install will look very clean. The stock D3 trim ring does not even fit the unit and is total garbage. I got everything lined up and it looks great. I am considering taking the plastic trim piece I fabricated and matching the black birds-eye-maple of the rest of the interior with a wood veneer overlay and coating.

I finalized the wiring harness and incorporated the gain adjuster for the bose amp and also wired into the harness the power leads for the bluetooth module. I have everything plugged in and tested and I am very happy with the sound quality and functionality of the system...its very cool - looks great - sounds amazing and its functionality blows away the stock command system. I especially liked the touch screen ability and the ipod integration. I can be listening to a song from the ipod and if a call comes in the music mutes and the call is picked up automatically - love it.

I wired the bluetooth microphone into the casing of the stock microphone on the rearview mirror cluster (stock on E55's with tele-aid) and it just works/sounds great. You cant see the microphone anywhere as its completley hidden in the stock microphone housing - The bluetooth connection in the car is great...once it was set up properly it works/sounds amazing and I love the fact that it syncs up automatically when i get into the car with my phone.

Now that I have the unit mounted/fitted in the cage and everything works/looks good I am going to physically install the cage and unit this weekend (time willing) into the car. Once its all done I will post some photos of the system and hopefully make you regret your decision to abort the project

Last edited by leomd; 04-20-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:17 AM

1997 E300D
Its only because I picked up a Jeep Wrangler this past week. Since I now have 2 vehicles, I bought a portable Garmin Nuvi 350 that I can use in both vehicles. As the Garmin was ~$400 itself I cant justify $1200 in a in dash navi for just one of my vehicles.

Zack
Old 04-21-2007, 04:13 AM

2009 c300
I am going to buy Zacks' set up for my 1999 ( ohh yeah - hey Zack, I'll take it - I can pay pal you on Monday).

leomd, if you have any words of advice on the install my ears are WIDE open.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by dylancarter
I am going to buy Zacks' set up for my 1999 ( ohh yeah - hey Zack, I'll take it - I can pay pal you on Monday).

leomd, if you have any words of advice on the install my ears are WIDE open.
Great! You are going to LOVE it! - four pieces of advice 1) wire the ACC and illumination leads to the cig lighter below (search on firefox's post) 2) Install the gps antenna under the dash, on top of the insulated air ducts - just attach the little metal adhisve on top of the insulation and the antena snaps on (magnetic) - I get GREAT reception and it takes 2 seconds. Remember to use this magnetic stick-on metal as it increases reception. 3) VSS wire should be under the right side front kick and door panel. Pull the door kick plate (plastic) you should see a green with black stripe wire. (not sure about your car) 4) make your own plastic trim ring for the D3

good luck!
(D3 Pictured without final trim)
Attached Thumbnails Another double din retro in the works!-d3.jpg  
Old 04-30-2007, 08:06 PM

2009 c300
Originally Posted by leomd
Great! You are going to LOVE it! - four pieces of advice 1) wire the ACC and illumination leads to the cig lighter below (search on firefox's post) 2) Install the gps antenna under the dash, on top of the insulated air ducts - just attach the little metal adhisve on top of the insulation and the antena snaps on (magnetic) - I get GREAT reception and it takes 2 seconds. Remember to use this magnetic stick-on metal as it increases reception. 3) VSS wire should be under the right side front kick and door panel. Pull the door kick plate (plastic) you should see a green with black stripe wire. (not sure about your car) 4) make your own plastic trim ring for the D3

good luck!
(D3 Pictured without final trim)
I got radio and am going to install it this weekend. Zack has it all wired up and ready to go for me, but I have a couple questions ( I'll ask zack too)

He wired the light green ebrake sensor into the system ground wire. The manual CLEARLY states that it should go to the positive of the ebrake. I assume that when you pull the ebrake up it grounds, so hooking the light green to ground in the harness lets the unit think the parking brake is on. Simple enough. But, he also wired the yellow/black unit in from the other harness ( the mute function ) into the same ground - this does NOT make sense. Would that not tell the system to always be in mute? Or does this trick the nav into working all the time. Seems wrong to me.

Okay - now the little trim piece that came with the radio.. huh? It doesn't even fit the radio. 'sup with that? Looks like you got a metra kit of some kind for yours true? do you have the part number?

Do you have the Bose system? Did you wire in the rca's or the regular speaker leads?

Any advice on taking out the old? Seams simple enough with the right tools.

Thanks in advice for ANY advice. I'm off to scour the web for pictures and answers.

- Dylan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Another double din retro in the works!