E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Maybe the Trans?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the Trans?

I thought it was the brakes but it maybe the trans. When my E320 comes to a stop it feels like a slam when it gets hot I thought it was caliper sticking but we checked the heat on all four and it was good. Today a turned a corner kind of quick and the car seemed like it went into neutral and then once it took off it would not shift into overdrive until I turned it off then it was fine. Is fluid low? Is there a tranny problem? Or maybe just need flushed and new fluid? Any help I send Thanks to.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Smile Get yea to a tranny shop

Unless you can do it yourself.See the DIY post here or on benzworld.org ,Check fluid,change filter and fluid,not flush.....
have your line pressure checked in the trans.Don't push it and wait,more damage ,more Dinero!
always a good trans operation check,in park ,engine warmed up,
With your foot holding down the brake pedal, shift to the "D" (Drive) position. Almost immediately the transmission should engage - it feels like the car wants to creep forward. This should happen very smoothly, without a strong jerk or clunk.
Shift to "N" (Neutral), and the transmission should disengage. Now, still holding the brakes, shift to the "R" (Reverse) position. Again, the transmission kicks in almost immediately - you will feel the car wants to creep backward. This also should be very smooth, without a jerk or clunk.
Now, still holding the brake pedal down, try to shift from D to R and back. There should be no strong jerk or clunk.
If there is a notable long delay (more than 1 seconds) between the moment you shift and the moment the transmission kicks in,fluid,filter, change may help.Post what year your car is in your profile,if it is a 98,99 you can drain the torque converter it has an access opening for draining,00's don't so you can't drain the completely without a lot of exp.,use only the mb approved fluid on this job,you've problems, no sense adding to them.

If it is any comfort,a lot of guys have had this problem and the trans fluid change has changed their lives..lol
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"

Last edited by ohlord; 07-30-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:31 PM

Sorry it is a 2000 E320 I did the check it made alittle noise as it went into gear but it sounds normal to me. I will have the fluid and the filter changed. Any price on what it should cost? Thanks I dont want to get stroked!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Smile Trans

Pan gasket, plug,fill tube cap,filter . no converter drain plug on 00 cars so you can't drain it.those parts are about $28 total at www.importeccatalog.com/
Then the fluid about $16 a liter at www.prostreetonline.com forget how many liters it takes since you can't drain the converter I think it's about 5 liters, somebody help me out here ---if anyone knows exactly.I think that's close.
So you have about 108 bucks in parts if you order them,might be less if prostreet has all the items above not just the fluid.check what trans model you have there might be two models in your year,so have the production date handy when you call to order.It is a diy job if you have the tools and the ability,if not call around to an indie mercedes shop and tell them if you brought the parts and fluid how much they would charge you.Or, if you have a real good i.e. not aamco trans shop ask them.Don't have them boost up the price by saying you need it flushed,that just stirs up junk you don't want going around in the trans.There are shops that have a flush system that is safe,but very expencive machine and most shops don't have one.
For an idea of what would be involved if you are mechanically inclined go to this wiki on another benz site,not your model but pertinent info.
www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/Trans7226Fluid
hope it works,rebuilt exchange are about $2500 plus a core deposit, labor not included.....

like I said ,the majority of peeps with your problem have had great results with the fluid change and new filter.
hope this helps
p.s. check your u joints also ,a bad one can also cause the clunk,but wouldn't
cause that miss into neutral.
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"

Last edited by ohlord; 07-30-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM

Thanks my brotha for all the info.