E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Car wont start- Electircal problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 E320
Exclamation Car wont start- Electircal problems

I hope some one has had this issue and might have some insight for me. I have a 1996 E320 wich has been plagued with electical problems that i have been able to just either ignore or work around but I cant find a wire diagram or repair manual any where. Well any way my problem at the moment is that the car just wont turn over it has a new battery and when you turn the key it started tried to start but it didnt and the electronics on the dash made like a clicking noise and flashed on and off a couple of times. I have tried all day to start it tried to jump it disconecting the battery and nothing worked sofar. It sounds like its not getting any gas like if you try to start it while the car is locked down. If it helps the car has had shorts in the accesory power that I cant find the radio and the windshield wipers wont come on some times which i just by passed to the battery with a switch. I would be happy if i could just get it started and take it to a dealer so I dont have to have it towed an hour and a half away. Any help would be apreciated
Old 09-04-2007, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
This one

is going to take some splainin Brak it down for us,did it turn over and fail to start?not turn over at all?or just the lights blinking and the clicking sound?Never disconnect the battery and try to jump start a computerized car,you can fry the electronics.
Sounds like from the symptoms,that you have a bad ground,someplace.either on the battery cable to the neg post or cable to chassis.Check those first and the condition of the cable,corrision etc.,clean the posts and reinstall.Other then those few things,if on a 96 you have wire probs and the harness is fried,look up posts on that here and on benzworld.org.Not to hard of a job to diy if you need to.I still suspect it is a ground fault,so track it down.
BTW I didn't check where you live,but unless it is in timbuktu,you must have a good auto electric shop near by,No need for the dealer,they will just rip you a new one!Any good elec shop will be able to track a bad ground and fix it ,if you can't find it on your own.
Now as to the symptoms,confusing,you say it's like there is no fuel,no fuel and it would still turn over,so is it turning over or not?or just the clicking sound and the lights flickering?
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
Also if you fill out the profile bar on the side,with year model and where abouts you are it helps cuz sometimes peeps live right in your area that can help.

Last edited by ohlord; 09-04-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:11 PM

1996 E320
Mostlikely a short some where

Ok I took my battery out and had it tested today and it was low my local mechanic said that I probly have a short somewhere that is draining power because my battery is only 3 months old, he charged it and I was still having problems I unlocked and locked it with the key fob and finaly it started I ran it for about 15 minutes or more turned it off and it wouldnt start again. To answer your questions I do live in bfe I live in Northumberland County VA, I know there are a few places that work on mercedes in the area but I dont know if they are good at running down electrical problems. The car when it wont start is not turning over, it is like if you lock the car with the key fob and it cuts off the fule to the car and you try to start it, the starter goes but no spark. I will check the ground on the battery are you just talking about the negative post or is there some thing else to look for does any one have a wire diagram so I might know what to look for?

Thanks for the help
Old 09-04-2007, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216
Sounds to me like you have a duff cell in the battery, thats a cell that has gone high resistance in one cell. they can be good one minute and bad the next, if its 4 years old change it, thats about the max life these days
Old 09-04-2007, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
The main ground cable

from the neg post to the ground connection.It does not need to be a mercedes shop any good auto electric shop could locate the drain.You can purchase a test lamp with clips and a probe at the auto supply store near by your house it will include directions to test for an open circuit that drains your battery.Someone is going to have to put a load on the battery and check alt output,to rule out a bad one.Charge the battery for a full 12 hours on a good charger,see if it holds a charge,running a car with a poorly charged battery will not fully charge it and will shorten battery life
ohlord
Old 09-04-2007, 06:03 PM

1996 E320
will investigat further

The shop only charged my battery for four hours but said it had sufficent charge and my charging system has been checked recently when I got my new battery 3 months ago not to say some thing could not have happened in the mean time but since i have gotten the battery charged I am having more luck with starting its hit and miss though. I will have to go and buy a new circuit tester and see if i can find the culprit.