E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Does anyone know what it would take to put a turbo on a 96 e3oo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
I'm a member of Mercedesshop. Here's a thread that discusses altering a N/A 606 to a Turbo. If I understand correctly, the conclusion on the thread is that it is not financially nor mechanically smart to do. The engines have almost the same internals and displacement, but IP and electronics are just the start of a few extra items you need to buy.
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...rbo+Conversion

For the record, I successfully converted my OM606 to run on VO. This is NOT a simple task compared to earlier diesel model conversions.

Last edited by EdzBenz; 10-02-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
what a surprise. Dumb comments from Rezz. He's like 17 years old, so that may be why his arguments are illogical.

Either spend 5k converting your 96 to a turbo version (when the car is worth maybe 10k), or just buy a 99 for 13k.

Which one is cheaper? Which one is easier? Which one will have no smog issues? Which one will have better resale?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
That's

if you can find a 300TD,the whole gas thing has got them at a 5G premium over the 112 motor,so it's hard to find a good one for less then high 14's.

Let the guy have some fun,maybe he has the mystery motor and the carbon fiber hood,now that would pull like a ****!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320
Originally Posted by Oliverk
what a surprise. Dumb comments from Rezz. He's like 17 years old, so that may be why his arguments are illogical.

Either spend 5k converting your 96 to a turbo version (when the car is worth maybe 10k), or just buy a 99 for 13k.

Which one is cheaper? Which one is easier? Which one will have no smog issues? Which one will have better resale?
if everyone listen to you no one would be driving a W210
Old 10-02-2007, 06:11 PM

W210 E320
Originally Posted by ohlord
if you can find a 300TD,the whole gas thing has got them at a 5G premium over the 112 motor,so it's hard to find a good one for less then high 14's.

Let the guy have some fun,maybe he has the mystery motor and the carbon fiber hood,now that would pull like a ****!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:18 PM

W210 E320
Originally Posted by EdzBenz
For the record, I successfully converted my OM606 to run on VO. This is NOT a simple task compared to earlier diesel model conversions.
what did you exactly do??
Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 PM

1998 E430
I think most people agree that its not worth doing. interesting that everybody here that's saying to do it are putting no advice in on how to do it. you guys make it sound like all you have to do is type in turbo on the dash and ya gots your turbo. what's your advice on putting a backseat in a pickup? ....just bolting some lawn chairs in the bed? unless someone is very crafty and has a lot of time for details and is on a unlimited budget, very determined you will end up with the same hack job. and if I was looking to buy a car and was looking at a conversion like this I think I would run. if conversions are so easy maybe I should barrow one of jeff gordons motors and shoe horn that in my benz this afternoon , reset my FSS and I'm good to go. reality needs to be looked at here. common guys this is nuts. either come up with easy lunch time turbo conversion tech info or give it up.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Okay

the easy way.Find a bone yard 300td motor and trans,get the harness and all sensors,cables,cooling lines,tcu,ecu...............and IOU's it will be pretty pricey for what a good td motor is fetching these days.Install said purchases,button it up,cross your fingers that everything works and put- put- put on down the road.
ohlord
Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 PM

W210 E320
the easy way.Find a bone yard 300td motor and trans,get the harness and all sensors,cables,cooling lines,tcu,ecu...............and IOU's it will be pretty pricey for what a good td motor is fetching these days.Install said purchases,button it up,cross your fingers that everything works and put- put- put on down the road.
ohlord
but what if it works and it turns out to be cost-effective??

just wanna know what if it actually worked that's all without getting flamed by retards
Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Logical

question,I suppose if you had the parts all of them cheap enough,like free,then you could do it,same platform etc. the question would be ,why.blown engine in a very clean mint 96,low mile td engine in a ratted out 99?Sure,still a lot of work to save a 12 year old diesel.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 AM

1997 E300D
Originally Posted by ReZzZ320
but what if it works and it turns out to be cost-effective??

just wanna know what if it actually worked that's all without getting flamed by retards
You can ask what if. It isn't wise to do something though without weighing the probability it will work and/or be cost effective. The probablity(w/o issues) is incredibly low, that should deter a person alone.

However, in this case there are also risks involved in attempting, financial in buying all the parts also in possibly damaging a perfectly fine car. This does not even factor in down time when he couldn't drive it, his own personal time to attempt something like this, decreased resale value, legal issues, etc.

We live i a world of reality that is where we are speaking from, and that is where you are missing us RezZz. He can just buy a 98 or 99 already turbo'd in the US. It would be idiotic to attempt this.

Last edited by Zackb911; 10-03-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Zackb911
You can ask what if. It isn't wise to do something though without weighing the probability it will work and/or be cost effective. The probablity(w/o issues) is incredibly low, that should deter a person alone.

However, in this case there are also risks involved in attempting, financial in buying all the parts also in possibly damaging a perfectly fine car. This does not even factor in down time when he couldn't drive it, his own personal time to attempt something like this, decreased resale value, legal issues, etc.

We live i a world of reality that is where we are speaking from, and that is where you are missing us RezZz. He can just buy a 98 or 99 already turbo'd in the US. It would be idiotic to attempt this.
good post
Old 10-03-2007, 11:01 AM

W210 E320
Originally Posted by Zackb911

come join ma world then
Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 AM

W210 E320
question,I suppose if you had the parts all of them cheap enough,like free,then you could do it,same platform etc. the question would be ,why.blown engine in a very clean mint 96,low mile td engine in a ratted out 99?Sure,still a lot of work to save a 12 year old diesel.
scrapyards are goldmines to some and well junk to the rest.

Like if I wanted to throw a M119 V8 in my car I could find a good half-cut W140 S55 for a fraction of the original crate engine price. BTW these half-cuts are usually in good condition
Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
Originally Posted by ReZzZ320
what did you exactly do??
Why do you care? I mentioned that in my post because joeg_irev thought that we would be amazed with what he was doing to his diesel vehicle, when its actually nothing new to many diesel members. I don't have time to put step-by-step instructions up. You can search for my posts on the Mercedesshop website if you're really interested in the questions/roadblocks/ideas that I had while doing my install.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry , Zackb911

but if that kind of logic rules the world of reality we are in a boat load of trouble.Man would not explore the limits,no Everest,no moon landing,no land speed records,no 17" Carlsson EVO 1/6's bought one year an sold the next.Or double Din conversions,at great cost.
Experimentation at the chance of risk and little reward,used to be the hallmark of this country,hell it's how the country started almost 300 years ago!
So if he has a need to do it,and doesn't care about the risk or expense involved ,get er done..........
You think it was cost effective the first time Carroll Shelby stuffed a 260 ford v8 into an Ac Bristol?Not in the short term,years later his cobra sells for 5.5 million dollars.Do you think he contemplated that all those years ago?
While this swap may or may not work out if he chooses to do it,He will learn more in the research and attempt,then you ever will with your Safe path,dot every i,cross every t life..

Last edited by ohlord; 10-03-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
but if that kind of logic rules the world of reality we are in a boat load of trouble.Man would not explore the limits,no Everest,no moon landing,no land speed records,no 17" Carlsson EVO 1/6's bought one year an sold the next.Or double Din conversions,at great cost.
Experimentation at the chance of risk and little reward,used to be the hallmark of this country,hell it's how the country started almost 300 years ago!
So if he has a need to do it,and doesn't care about the risk or expense involved ,get er done..........
You think it was cost effective the first time Carroll Shelby stuffed a 260 ford v8 into an Ac Bristol?Not in the short term,years later his cobra sells for 5.5 million dollars.Do you think he contemplated that all those years ago?
While this swap may or may not work out if he chooses to do it,He will learn more in the research and attempt,then you ever will with your Safe path,dot every i,cross every t life..

I understand your point, but this is different. This is not like swapping an LS1 into an E320. The turbocharged E class already exists. Its not like this would be a creative/inventive/innovative modification that would create new trends or be some sort of revalation in the MB world.

Per your example, this would be like carrol shelby stuffing the ford v8 into an AC bristol when an AC bristol with a chevy 261 V8 with similar power and better reliability already existed.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:47 PM

1997 E300D

Your comparisons are irrellevant and justifications week. As was posted after you this is entirely different. No great discorvies or prospective for profit, or pursuit of career is affected by this.

Are you really trying to relate 300 years ago or Carroll Shelby to this guy turboing his N/A E300 ? Seriously now...

This forum is really getting sad

Last edited by Zackb911; 10-03-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm trying

to relate your lack of risk v.s. reward and need to explore the possibilities to the current thread,so yes it is relevant,and yes on a small scale I am relating his creative desires to the past .A child takes apart a watch,no big discovery in your mind,no profit motive in your mind...no reason to do it in your mind.Sometime in the future he changes the world, in my mind.
You are one of those people that fail to see the gain in doing something just for the attempt of doing it.
Things exist and people reinvent them every day.
As to the A.C bristol I own two little British race cars ,several people in our club have taken on the task(love) of swapping in various modern v6 and v8 engines,some rewrote the book on the ways to do it and some struggle to get it correct,I should tell them and all the other risk taking experimenters of the world to stop?Wait!!!!!!!! British Leyland did it with the rover v-8 30 years ago!!!!!!!!I should tell them,Forget it guys,some peeps on mbworld.org said it's been done..
I wonder why you two even get out of bed every day.Is it worth it?Is it advisable?
Make any great discoveries?Create any new trends?Pathetic.........

(WEEK)Weak
Old 10-03-2007, 05:35 PM

W210 E320
good points you made there ohlord took the words right out of my mouth
Old 10-04-2007, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
to relate your lack of risk v.s. reward and need to explore the possibilities to the current thread,so yes it is relevant,and yes on a small scale I am relating his creative desires to the past .A child takes apart a watch,no big discovery in your mind,no profit motive in your mind...no reason to do it in your mind.Sometime in the future he changes the world, in my mind.
You are one of those people that fail to see the gain in doing something just for the attempt of doing it.
Things exist and people reinvent them every day.
As to the A.C bristol I own two little British race cars ,several people in our club have taken on the task(love) of swapping in various modern v6 and v8 engines,some rewrote the book on the ways to do it and some struggle to get it correct,I should tell them and all the other risk taking experimenters of the world to stop?Wait!!!!!!!! British Leyland did it with the rover v-8 30 years ago!!!!!!!!I should tell them,Forget it guys,some peeps on mbworld.org said it's been done..
I wonder why you two even get out of bed every day.Is it worth it?Is it advisable?
Make any great discoveries?Create any new trends?Pathetic.........

(WEEK)Weak
I think Zack and I are thinking of this endeavor from a fiscal standpoint which typically runs the business world.

Anything can be a labor of love, and creativity is great, but typically, people who create innovative startups are doing so because they anticipate future profits.

putting a turbo onto a 96 will not generate future profits.

In this instance, it just doesn't make sense.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe

He finds doing things like that ,FUN.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:19 PM

Lot of flames but very little else.

It's obvious that the vast majority of the members on this site don't actually do anything under their hoods except change oil, filter etc. There are a large number of people who are heavily into modify their cars with a great deal of success and enjoyment in the process. For instance putting a Subaru 2.2l engine in a VW Vanagon. I would have preferred to put a TDI into it but maybe next time. Or how about Chopping a 40's Ford, something I'm not into but I won't knock those who are, because they have turned out some very impressive machine... the list goes on and on. There are just very few in this group of that mind set.

I wonder what most would think about converting a Mercedes to run on veggy oil. Wow sacrilege. Even though the inventor intended his Diesel engine to be run on veggy oil.

Well for those who think themselves to be really into their cars when they order new rims and have the local garage put them on, try to have a little more imagination about what it could mean to really be into your cars!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When

I was a teen in the mid 1960's,there was a guy named joe who everyone laughed at because he was cutting his own exhaust manifold gaskets,almost to a friend they all said,"Why?You can buy those things at any parts store joe."
He did it because he was sick and tired of losing races due to blown gaskets.It was not until later that people stopped chastising him and started buying his gaskets that he realized he could make some money at it. At 15 I started buying Joe's gaskets for a hot rod my Dad And I built,we believed in his innovation,genius,and his product.
I have been an inventor most of my life,and you two are wrong,Most inventions and innovations were born out of a desire to create.Create to fill a need,create to fix a problem,create just for the joy of creation..........You two have lost that desire,please don't try to impose it on the fellow above,while he may never be another MR. GASKET like Joe,he will in the attempt to tackle the conversion become a far more knowledgeable experienced Mercedes Benz owner then the two of you ever will.

And a note of correction to joeg,Diesel built his original engine to run on coal dust....
This last bit is for you two guys:
It wasn't until later that he changed to VO and even later after he committed
suicide that the petro interests converted it to fuel oil,thus ending his dream,--which was not a "profit motive",his dream was to invent a socially responsible engine that ran on a renewable resource,VO.--

Last edited by ohlord; 10-04-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:03 PM

W210 E320
well zack and the rest if you guys are not convinced with the words of the OT then you guys need to have your heads checked.

I think this thread seperates the innovators from the imitators and the ratio is quite large. Taking the easy way out will only work for those who can afford being lazy while the ones who are creating are being chastised as if they're living in medieval times.

So for all those stil not convinced TAKE A FRIKIN HIKE

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know what it would take to put a turbo on a 96 e3oo?