E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Tuning the ECU(primarily the fuel system) please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tuning the ECU(primarily the fuel system) please help

Let me start off by saying i do not know much of anything about electronically controlled engines just so we can avoid future conflict.

My dad and I are messing around with a STS remote turbo system I got from Larry Hagan, a friend of ours. Larry had the kit for sometime apparently, before STS offered the LS-1 Camaro kit so this is supposedly a universal DIY kit. My dad and I have figured out how and what to do in the event of installing this kit(I still need to drive the car so this has to be 1-2 week thing) but dad has some major concerns about adjusting the fuel system and I need to know who and what can accomplish the feat of recalibrating it short of ditching half the cars brain for a megasquirt I, II or III system.

This is the reason for my eariler thread wanting a complete underside pic of the car i ended up just taking the car to get the oil changed and mapping out the underside with the digi cam.

PS would a dyno shop/tuner shop be able to recalibrate it following a spec sheet i got from a mercedes repair job(star imports)?

Last edited by Max Hughes; 11-14-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I have to be the first to tell you this is a bad idea. The STS kits suck anyway, but here is what I would do.

Get yourself some E55 injectors and an e55 fuel pump. Its unlikely that you will make over 350bhp, so these should work alright and I believe that they will fit.

Then you will need either a street or dyno tune (street tuning is vastly preferred with turbo kits). Im not sure where the maf pegs powerwise, but that may become an issue as well.

my real suggestion, sell the kit and if you want more power, get an e55.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:39 PM

I like my e320 and a more practical suggestion would be much appreciated. At the low boost levels remote systems use the fuel system is fine stock according to ohlord. Also a remote turbo from STS made above 650 on a "stock" C6 corvette in terms of the engine. remote turbo's are actually great and STS has built a huge name for themselves dont say they suck without any experience towards them.

But thanks for the tuning sugggestion, would a street tune just consist of a dude plugging into the computer and flashing its fuel settings or what? I have also been told since the maf is a sensor its parameters can also be tweaked its only danger is falling apart right? I dont think 6 psi will kill a blow through MAF set up.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I have experience with STS turbos, and just because they made 650rwhp on a C5, doesn't mean they are good. They have to use huge turbos to get decent power because they lose so much heat between the headers and where they put the turbo. This puts the compressor out of its efficency map. The lack of an intercooler is also a tragedy.

REGARDLESS,
I don't think ohlord knows the exact limits of the 320 fuel system. Thats your job to find out. You will need to datalog parameters such as pressure drop across the injector, injector duty cycle, and fuel pump duty cycle. Only then will you know if the stock stuff is fine. On a decent turbo kit, 6 psi is about 120rwhp. Thats a lot to gain on stock fueling, and since fueling is so important, its not a risk I would want to take.

Once again, im not sure if the maf will peg. Automotive computers can only read up to 5 volts from the MAF. Once more airflow than 5v is passed through the maf, the ecu can no longer read it, and you lose fueling control.

"some dude with a computer plugged in" may be able to help you, but I would hope that he is experienced with both rearmount turbos and mb fuel systems. With my 800bhp supercharged mustang, you datalog the car through the OBD2 port, and then can make changes to the fuel tables.

This is not all as simple as "slap it in and go".
Old 11-16-2007, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
I figured in

that he would need to get the specs and provide them to a ecu mod company.Also figured that with the lack of boost that the remote system provides that the stock pump and injectors might handle it.O is correct that the universal system is not the best out there,and if you are lucky it might produce 4-5 lb of boost.Remember it is a high compression engine and that alone will make you want to keep the boost down.
Drive train and trans better be in top shape.
good luck
Fun to try,and if it works you had fun,if not back to the drawing board,and you sell the sts unit to the next guy.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:40 PM

* Alright cool thanks for the replies, i can probably use one of dads spare intercoolers from 944 and route it inside the front bumper since it sandwiches in there.

* I realize the turbo is the easy part its just all the tuning as oliver said. I still think the rear mount turbo would be best on this car becuase it is a low boost setup and it really simplifies the welding, sans the amount of material needed.

*My dad and i have already figured out the loss of boost based on johns STS inducted GTO with the intercooler and ill just run 1 psi up.

* If i can just take the car to a shop and they can recalibrate a mercedes then this turbo setup was much simplier than i first thought. Im kind of getting the impression from the posts that my local tuning/dyno shop can plug in to my car and adjust it for me.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Not unless they burn benz ecu and really know

the system.Speedtuning.com maybe or there is a place in bremerton wa,that i will look up and see what they can do for you.
Remember universal systems mean universal problems.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
sorry to dig up an old thread....

Max, any updates? what did you end up doing with the fuel system?