E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E320 straight six or v6 which one is better

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
Originally Posted by SechsPackSound
You've missed my point of argument. What I meant was that a custom built
V6 engine built on 3 valves per cylinder and SOHC would also be able to achieve just as much HP as a DOHC S6 with 4 valves per cylinder engine when all has been done to achieve all those horses. Also the V6 design is a more preffered for racing as oppossed to the S6, because of the shorter crankshaft of
the V6.

There is no difference between a twincam engine and a singlecam engine. The only difference is that a twincam is smoother than a singlecam. It does not make much sense in believing that DOHC engine is superior to an SOHC one. Also with modern racing teams want the DOHC because of engine vibration factors at high engine speeds that can distract the driver. A tired SOHC engine is more likely to feel less smooth than a worn DOHC engine.

And now as far as DTM goes, teams actually spend millions to develope their cars. You simply do not know anything about DTM. The reason why DTM racecars do not share anything other than engine and form with the production version, is because teams always custom built racecars to their required specification all for the sake of performance.

It is not possible for a racecar to share the same kind of transmission with the production version, simply because the transmission would be subject to a high level of stress with engines revving up to as high as 10000 rpm and also due to the fact that racing transmissions need to have lightning quick changes considering the demands of the race itself, do you expect a race car to share the same automatic or manual transmission with the production version, when the transmission from production cars would simply be ripped apart from the high kws of a race engine. Racecars also need reinforced subframes and structures as they are subject to high gs all the time, which is why their bodies and stuctures are also custom built to be race rigid. So how does it not make sense to have high development costs on racecars now considering all these factors that I've mentioned and that designers, engineers and technicians work all year round in trying to improve the design of racecars in terms of reliability, safety and other crucial factors. I've had a basic E36 BMW Racecar before and its not cheap to run one.

So yet again your arguments are based on how you feel about DTM rather than facts. You don't know a thing about racing.
Yes you got me, you having a C280 makes you a racing expert, but my F40, racebred 250 California Spyder, 300SL Gullwing etc make me a racing dud
You were the one who alluded to the fact that the DTM was related to conventional car technology, I put you back in line by telling you that car manufacturers utilize outsourced components, and that the DTM races were "cheap" races (compared to F1 etc). You are living in a dreamworld buddy.

There is no difference between a twincam engine and a singlecam engine. The only difference is that a twincam is smoother than a singlecam. It does not make much sense in believing that DOHC engine is superior to an SOHC one.

Do you really believe this? You obviously know nothing if you think that there is no "difference" between a DOHC and SOHC engines. Pick up a book and read it, learn about how an engine works, the difference between a OHC, DOHC, OHV etc. Maybe then you will stop making such ridiculously stupid comments.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Gotta

hand it to you for your tenacity in hanging onto your misconceptions
I post again the heading of his original post

"E320 straight six or v6 which one is better"

not tractor engines or multi cam post 2002 engines or any of the other crap you have tossed into the mix.

"E320 straight six or v6 which one is better"
that was the question,is the question and remains the question.
nuf said.

better get your comprehension ability calibrated
Old 12-24-2007, 11:49 AM

Tesla Roadster Sport
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I refuse to argue with you any further since you simply can not stay on topic. The topic is the MB I6 vs the MB V6, not truck engines or e55s or anything else.
Then why did you talk about BMW I6's etc.....We are discussing Inline 6's it is important to bring up how proven the technology and layout is. Since you cannot point to the same proven longevity success of the V6 suddenly you "refuse" to debate. Bravo
Old 12-24-2007, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by husk323
Then why did you talk about BMW I6's etc.....We are discussing Inline 6's it is important to bring up how proven the technology and layout is. Since you cannot point to the same proven longevity success of the V6 suddenly you "refuse" to debate. Bravo
are you always this abbrasive? For someone who claims to be so successful (I want pics of all three cars noted in your above post btw), you certainly get off topic a lot.

I initially brought up the I6 in the M3 to illustrate that a 3.0L I6 making 220bhp is not stressed in the least bit. You were the one that made the point about how the M3 and Mcoupe/roadster share that motor (what that had to do with anything, I don't know).

To say an Inline 6 is proven, and a v6 is not is simply ludacrous. Do you realize that every Ml320 and E320 from those years sported that powerplant. Do you realize how many of them are up over 150k miles. Just because you haven't heard of one over 200k miles doesn't mean they aren't out there.

A V6 is as proven a design as the Inline 6.

Finally, what is a guy with an F40, 250 Cali Spyder, and 300sl Gulwing doing on a 210 eclass forum on christmas eve arguing about piddly motors?

Those three cars right there represent at least $1.2 million worth of automotive art. Don't you have better things to do?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Now that I've seen the pics of your collection from another thread, I say again:

You have probably $5 to $6 million worth of cars, and substantial house.

What the hell are you arguing with us for? Go drive your F40, Daytona spider, E type, 512bbi, etc.

jeez, with that type of cash/car collection, I would forget internet forums existed.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
The V6 is much cheaper to produce and fits newer body styles and was the beginning of Mercedes modular engine line.
I prefer the I6 only because it has room for a turbo under the hood and potential for big HP.

This is worth a look
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=pumpish
now thats what i'm talking about!

anyone ever do this in a w210?
Old 12-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes C280
Yes you got me, you having a C280 makes you a racing expert, but my F40, racebred 250 California Spyder, 300SL Gullwing etc make me a racing dud
You were the one who alluded to the fact that the DTM was related to conventional car technology, I put you back in line by telling you that car manufacturers utilize outsourced components, and that the DTM races were "cheap" races (compared to F1 etc). You are living in a dreamworld buddy.

Do you really believe this? You obviously know nothing if you think that there is no "difference" between a DOHC and SOHC engines. Pick up a book and read it, learn about how an engine works, the difference between a OHC, DOHC, OHV etc. Maybe then you will stop making such ridiculously stupid comments.
Are you kidding? DTM races are not cheap races, at all. You should read up on DTM and its history. It is clear that at this point, that you're arguing on basis of your own assuption again. DTM Racecars are always built to required specifications of their respective teams. Yes they do have sequential racing transmissions, and reinforced subframes and structures. You simply do not know the facts. Are you suggesting that DTM throw in a mildly modified version of the production version of their cars and call them racecars? You should read up on the DTM racecars. Also look at the road version of the Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR, its the most expensive production car in the world as compared to any other production cars built by Mercedes-Benz. The CLK GTR was derived from DTM design. Arguing like a 'red indian' again?
Old 12-24-2007, 06:14 PM

Tesla Roadster Sport
Are you kidding? DTM races are not cheap races, at all. You should read up on DTM and its history. It is clear that at this point, that you're arguing on basis of your own assuption again. DTM Racecars are always built to required specifications of their respective teams. Yes they do have sequential racing transmissions, and reinforced subframes and structures. You simply do not know the facts. Are you suggesting that DTM throw in a mildly modified version of the production version of their cars and call them racecars? You should read up on the DTM racecars. Also look at the road version of the Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR, its the most expensive production car in the world as compared to any other production cars built by Mercedes-Benz. The CLK GTR was derived from DTM design. Arguing like a 'red indian' again?

read this article on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsch...nwagen_Masters

Read this quote

"The cars are supposed to be fast and spectacular, while still rather cheap to build and run"

DTM race cars are not as expensive to build as F1 cars or most other purpose built race vehicles. You are a mental midget buddy, The $360,000 price tag is nothing compared to a F1 car, or any other purpose built race car. You know nothing about cars and should take up something like knitting. Every time you type something, it proves that you have a severely diminished mental capacity.

its the most expensive production car in the world as compared to any other production cars built by Mercedes-Benz.
What does this mean???? Most production car in the world as compared to any production built Mercedes benz

You really think Mercedes would create a new motor for a car that costs 360k and will be sold in limited quantities? If you think thats true may God help you.

Last edited by husk323; 12-24-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes C280
Originally Posted by martz
The early 90's DTM cars used the cosworth 2.5 190e evolution 4 cylinder motors because of DTM rules allowing only 4 cyl transplants and there after when the rules changed they had no other choice but to develop the V6 motor for competition because they had unveiled the V6 motors as its newest motor to replace the I6 in 1996... again because lowering emissions was the main objective.
The rules of DTM did not permit a S6 due to the its design disadvantages, one of which was weight and its distribution. An equivalent V6 would also be able to rev up alot faster and higher. A V6 engine too would ease handling at least considerably more than a S6 can. Also V6 engines hold advantages of frontal end collisions when it comes to safety, and because of the way the S6design is, it would definitely make it more dangerous for the race driver who would be meeting the demands of the race itself.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes C280
How would you then explain the success Mercedes had over its rivals, all of which used the DOHC 4valve percylinder design over its SOHC 3 Valves per cylinder design. http://www.dtm.com/historie.php
Old 12-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes C280
read this article on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsch...nwagen_Masters

Read this quote

"The cars are supposed to be fast and spectacular, while still rather cheap to build and run"

DTM race cars are not as expensive to build as F1 cars or most other purpose built race vehicles. You are a mental midget buddy, The $360,000 price tag is nothing compared to a F1 car, or any other purpose built race car. You know nothing about cars and should take up something like knitting. Every time you type something, it proves that you have a severely diminished mental capacity.

What does this mean???? Most production car in the world as compared to any production built Mercedes benz

You really think Mercedes would create a new motor for a car that costs 360k and will be sold in limited quantities? If you think thats true may God help you.
You've thrown F1 into the scenario because you've misread my point of argument. I wasn't comparing DTM to F1 which is easy to work out considering the advantage F1 has its advantage over DTM. What I was getting at was that no matter how cheap you perceive DTM to be given the budget of $360,000. Still they do use racing transmissions, custom made reinforced subframes and other structures.

DTM racecars are also subjected to high gs most of the time just like any other racecar, and high engine revs all the time to meet requirements and rules for each race. DTM race engines rev all the way up to 10000 rpm,
and F1 18000+ rpm. So they still have to be built to the specifications of the teams but at a constrained budget. Even though all DTM racecars use the standard Holinger Sequential Race Transmission. Their bodies and structures are still custom made according to the 'cheap' budget of $360,000 (your own perception thinking that $360,000 is a small budget) their teams have. So yes their still custom made, and you're wrong about that. DTM racecars may not be as fast as F1 racecars, but still are subjected to high gs all the time which would require custom parts such as the subframes and structures.

So you've said that you've been racing before but yet you are unable to work out that racecars such as those in DTM are also subjected to high gs and engine revs all the time and would require rigid subframes and modified structures etc. Even their Holinger Race Transmissions can have their gear ratios altered to suit the racedriver.

Last edited by SechsPackSound; 12-24-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:17 PM

Tesla Roadster Sport
No matter how cheap you perceive DTM to be. Still they do use racing transmissions, custom made reinforced subframes and other structures.

These cars are subjected to high gs, and high engine revs all the time to meet requirements for each race. So they have to be built to the specifications of the teams. Even though all DTM racecars use the standard Holinger Sequential Race Transmission. Their bodies and structures are still custom made according to the 'cheap' budget of $360,000 (your own perception thinking that $360,000 is a small budget) their teams have. So yes their still custom made, and you're wrong about that.
360k for a "race car" is a small budget and its just not my perception, please compare with F1 cars and other racing circuits. You bore me.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes C280
360k for a "race car" is a small budget and its just not my perception, please compare with F1 cars and other racing circuits. You bore me.
Maybe you should explain how DTM race cars should not have their parts custom made, now considering that you've claimed that you've been 'racing'.

High gs all the time require reinforced subframes, structures, race suspension etc to help the racecar handle better. Also DTM cars rev all the way up to 10000 rpm vs 18000rpm+ in F1 cars. 10000 rpm is still high enough to cause all the high gs. Yes each team may have a budget of about $360,000 but that does not stop them from building custom made components as long as they do not overspend under the constrained budget that they're given. DTM cars these days are powered by a 4000 ccm V8.

DTM cars have Holinger sequential race transmissions as standard. (You would know this if you had read up enough about DTM).

Are you sure you've been racing before? Or if not I should say have you seen a proper race car before which has everything stripped out to save weight, which has a roll cage and reinforced structures and subframes to help it handle well on a race track? You do not need an F1 car to prove that, racecars such as those in BTC should be enough to prove that parts still need to be custom made. Even my BMW 318i E36 racecar had a modified suspension, reinforced structures and subframes, race transmission, and stripped to a bare minimum to save weight. The A/C too was taken out to save weight. I once enquired about putting the BMW V8 engine under the bonnett, and I needed a very rigid chassis to cope with the power generated by the V8. So that meant that I needed extra reinforced subframes here and there to cope with the V8. And the budget to run my racecar was not even close to the $360,000 you mentioned earlier.

And last but not least how would you explain the success of the Mercedes-Benz W202 C-Class DTM racecar had over all its rivals with its SOHC 3 valves per cylinder design over their DOHC 4 valves per cylinder design. Mercedes won the most races for two solid years with this engine. http://www.dtm.com/historie.php

Last edited by SechsPackSound; 12-24-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:56 AM

Tesla Roadster Sport
Maybe you should explain how DTM race cars should not have their parts custom made, now considering that you've claimed that you've been 'racing'.

High gs all the time require reinforced subframes, structures, race suspension etc to help the racecar handle better. Also DTM cars rev all the way up to 10000 rpm vs 18000rpm+ in F1 cars. 10000 rpm is still high enough to cause all the high gs. Yes each team may have a budget of about $360,000 but that does not stop them from building custom made components as long as they do not overspend under the constrained budget that they're given. DTM cars these days are powered by a 4000 ccm V8.

DTM cars have Holinger sequential race transmissions as standard. (You would know this if you had read up enough about DTM).

Are you sure you've been racing before? Or if not I should say have you seen a proper race car before which has everything stripped out to save weight, which has a roll cage and reinforced structures and subframes to help it handle well on a race track? You do not need an F1 car to prove that, racecars such as those in BTC should be enough to prove that parts still need to be custom made. Even my BMW 318i E36 racecar had a modified suspension, reinforced structures and subframes, race transmission, and stripped to a bare minimum to save weight. The A/C too was taken out to save weight. I once enquired about putting the BMW V8 engine under the bonnett, and I needed a very rigid chassis to cope with the power generated by the V8. So that meant that I needed extra reinforced subframes here and there to cope with the V8. And the budget to run my racecar was not even close to the $360,000 you mentioned earlier.

And last but not least how would you explain the success of the Mercedes-Benz W202 C-Class DTM racecar had over all its rivals with its SOHC 3 valves per cylinder design over their DOHC 4 valves per cylinder design. Mercedes won the most races for two solid years with this engine. http://www.dtm.com/historie.php
Please read my post, then read what you wrote, and then repost your findings, you have to be retarded honestly. You are talking out of your *** and have no experience with "race cars." Comparing your homebrewed 318i to any sort of factory race car, is idiotic. You are comparing your homebrewed 318i racecar conversion(and saying you are underbudget).... to the Mercedes DTM Team ::rolf you have to be the biggest retard I have ever seen. I am through with you, you have no concept of reality at all. Are you honestly reading what you are writing? Are you on drugs or something? I have waisted enough time talking to you. You have churned out some of the most ignorant posts, based on the stupidest logic in internet history. Its sad to see that people like you exist.

Last edited by husk323; 12-25-2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
All I can say here is wow.

M
Old 12-25-2007, 02:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes C280
Please read my post, then read what you wrote, and then repost your findings, you have to be retarded honestly. You are talking out of your *** and have no experience with "race cars." Comparing your homebrewed 318i to any sort of factory race car, is idiotic. You are comparing your homebrewed 318i racecar conversion(and saying you are underbudget).... to the Mercedes DTM Team ::rolf you have to be the biggest retard I have ever seen. I am through with you, you have no concept of reality at all. Are you honestly reading what you are writing? Are you on drugs or something? I have waisted enough time talking to you. You have churned out some of the most ignorant posts, based on the stupidest logic in internet history. Its sad to see that people like you exist.
Even if I took my 'homebrewed racecar' out of the whole picture. It wouldn't change the fact that earlier DTM racecars like the W202 racecar have Hollinger Sequential Race Transmissions as standard, and that DTM racecars do have custom made subframes and of course reinforced structures to cope with their power demands and demands resulting from high gs. See I knew you couldn't prove it with your 'red indian' arguments. Can't be proven can it.

Read http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsch...-Meisterschaft under the heading: Das neue „Klasse 1“-Reglement which says 'Als Motoren kamen V6 mit 2500 cmģ zum Einsatz, die ähnlich aufwendig waren wie damalige F1-Triebwerke und Leistungen bis 500 PS erbrachten.' and convert it to english yourself. Tells you all you need to know about the early days of DTM its relation to F1 technology. Its like saying that lets say you were born without an *** , telling yourself that you had one wouldn't change the fact that you are indeed assless would it. Case Closed. :.

Last edited by SechsPackSound; 12-25-2007 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:12 AM

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by martz
I believe the CE is a 3.2 in line 6 motor. 300ce model designation but 3.2 motor under the bonnet, your owners manual will confirm.
Well., the original registration papers of the car and the owners manual state that the displacement of my 300CE-24 is excactly 2960 cm3, which is excactly the same as in the 103 engine.
Hubraum 2960 cm3 and 164 Kw.
-Thatīs what it says..
There are also no wiring harness woes in this car like in some of the other versions, since it incorporates mechanical fuel injectors and a rotor and a cap instead of the tree coil ignition system.

Cheers,

Last edited by 124-Fan; 12-26-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 PM

1997 E320
So the bottom line is I6 is better than V6.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:28 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
I-6 better?

<<so the bottom line is, I6 is better than V-6.>>

It is to laugh. Having owned both M103 and M104 engines and now on my second V-6, this statement is how-you-say-in-your-language just plain silly. The M103 dates back more than twenty years and had plenty of it's own problems. The M104 was a whole lot better but still had oil leak problems(front cover plus head gasket, almost universally and at early mileages in my experience) whereas the M112 and successors does not leak oil, has no cam chain problems and has a no-service ignition system until very high mileages.

As far as wiring harness problems, very well known, this has nothing to do which engine is used, but is a general design fault, now cured.

Last edited by RLE; 12-29-2007 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Add quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:47 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
124-fan lives where?

I have been plowing through 124-fans posts regarding his horsepower claims and I haven't found any mention that he is apparently driving what we here call a Euro model. Judging by the license plates on the cars pictured under his posts.

Which means his cars do not have US emission controls at their ages.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 AM

1997 E320
funny how everyone tries to beat on the I-6 and there is not more than a head gasket problem that they can bring up. what else you got? nothing. the I-6 is one of the last remains of good mercedes engineering and there is nothing you can do to put it down and justify the money mercedes (chrysler) charged you for the over priced v-6.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:44 AM

2000 ML430
Originally Posted by 124-Fan
And the M104 L6 engine is a marvellous engine in my opninion. Also the M103 engine, even though the L6īs are prone to headgasket failure as a result of how long the head is. Thatīs about the only bad thing you can say about them. There is also no special difference on working on L6īs or V6īs, I think.
Prone to head gasket failure? Really? I've had 4 W124's with the I6 motor. One of them over 200,000 miles, none of them under 100,000 miles by the time I sold them and not a single one had an engine problem of ANY kind. Radiators.. well that's a seperate story, 3 of 4 lost a radiator around the 80,000 to 100,000 mark. Replacement was not very expensive. I even got one at my local little radiator jobber (I live in a small town) in less than 24 hours.

Anyhow. Having had an ML320 with the V6, I think the I6 is a far superior, QUIETER, smoother engine. The only thing comes close to a Mercedes I6 is a Mercedes V8. (I've not yet tried a 12, yet)
Old 12-30-2007, 01:04 AM

2000 ML430
Originally Posted by RLE
I have been plowing through 124-fans posts regarding his horsepower claims and I haven't found any mention that he is apparently driving what we here call a Euro model. Judging by the license plates on the cars pictured under his posts.

Which means his cars do not have US emission controls at their ages.
A front plate, the local of a car does not make (just to be clear, I've driven all of these around the Puget Sound with those plates for years... my 993 still proudly wears it's EU-D plate on the front. For some reason I can't find any better shots of my 500E with the EU-D but there is this overhead one.

I have 11 of these plates that I rotate around depending on whim. They are a hit at the car shows.
Attached Thumbnails E320 straight six or v6 which one is better-porsche.jpg   E320 straight six or v6 which one is better-993.jpg   E320 straight six or v6 which one is better-964.jpg   E320 straight six or v6 which one is better-964.2.jpg  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:13 AM

2000 ML430
I totally agree with you. This guys argument is based on his feelings rather than facts. I've given him the facts based on the two websites, and the Mercedes ML website clearly says that there is no tradeoff in HP between the 3 valves per cylinder technology and the more conventional 4 valve per cylinder. No use arguing with a 'red indian' who simply cannot deal with facts.
Originally Posted by ohlord
The new LS9 corvette engine with 640 h.p. is only 2 valves per cylinder and is the most advanced engine in gm history.
That's just like someone touting the performance of the Yugo Sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWhn...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WHtbvR23D0&NR=1

"It's the best Yugo built to date!"

To GM I say... Well, yippe.

I tell you what, when non-spec race engines are built with 3 valve heads... give me a call.

(Yes, this is posted by a guy that has a 24-valve V8 so sue me)

Last edited by DCarrera; 12-30-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
BLOCK
7 main bearings in Iron, or 3 main bearings in aluminum?
Get whatever you think is best.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E320 straight six or v6 which one is better