E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Google Search for Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
Google Search for Mercedes

Hi all,

After getting tired of searching multiple forums and search engines trying to find "that one post" that I needed, I decided to create an all-in-one search site that ONLY searches the millions of great user-created help/info/DIY pages /posts created by the Mercedes owner community on the web.

Please take a look and let me know what you think:
www.everythingbenz.com

It searches millions of hand picked pages that I've been scouring the web for -- I've tried to limit the selection to advice, DIY's, photo guides, etc. So you won't have to filter through a lot of commercial sites that you find if you search google directly, and could save you from having searching over and over again at different forum sites.

Searching each forum directly with give you more results, but hopefully if you use this new site you can cast a wider net to start with and find your info faster. There is a ton of info out on the web but it's all so segmented on different sites that it can often be hard to find. Hopefully this will help!

Thanks for listening and I look forward to your feedback! I wanted to announce this in the W210 forums first because this is where I learned about all the great info and help available from so many fantastic members of the community.

-- Darin
Old 01-17-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darin,
I like it. Tried it out with about 12 searches and found plenty of information to start my research. I like the secondary body class search capability. It narrows things down quickly.
Once again, very good.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:48 PM

1997 E420
Thanks KGT! Yeah, those refinement options seem to work pretty well. I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to work on additional ways to make it easy to get the most relevant results. Of course, chassis type and model can be used directly in the query and might deliver better or worse results than the refinement options, depending on the search query. You can also use them together!

It's been a lot of work but a lot of fun at the same time. It's good encouragement to keep going to know from others that it's already helpful. I am going to keep working to increase the number of pages and refine the results, and will be adding additional features too.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 PM

1997 E420
Hey folks! I added a "refinement" for DIY/Pictorial so if you go to:

www.everythingbenz.com

Search for "w210" and then click on "DIY/Pictorial" in the results... and you get a pretty good general list of DIY's.

Unfortunately, if you use the "DIY" refinement you can't use another like E-Class. It's one of the other, so best to include your model or chassis in the query (ex: search for "w210 front end" and then click on DIY)

The results should be getting even better soon. I've added so many mercedes resources into the search engine that Google is having a problem handling it, but they are working on it. I am also tweaking things in the meantime to see if I can optimize so more actually comes through in the results. Bottom line: if you find the site useful now, you have a lot to look forward to later!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Or

just tap into raymonds ,mark cummins, lkchris ,and my bookmarks and you can build a W210 from the ground up
Great new resource CA Tallguy,great idea and good work.
ohlord
Old 01-18-2008, 05:50 PM

1997 E420
Thanks, OhLord! That's kind of what I've been trying to do -- been scouring the web digging through people's bookmark links. It's depressing how many links go to dead sites now! Oh, the hard work people put into information now lost!

Are your bookmarks public somewhere?

Maybe I can setup benz-oriented central place for people to keep public bookmarks if something like that doesn't exist.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 PM

1997 E420
Hi everybody,

After analyzing your search queries and results, and to overcome some quirks with the way Google works, I've added a new feature to EverythingBenz: Deep Search. Now, in addition to searching widely across thousands of sites, you can click "Deep Search" on the result pages to get a LOT more results from the top forum sites if you don't find what you are looking for in the "wide" search. Enjoy!

-- Darin