E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Alternator replacement help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 (black) 1996 E320 (white)
Alternator replacement help

Sorry if there is a thorough DIY guide, but for the life of me I can't find it! I'm trying to replace the alternator on my 96 E320 and having a *itch and a half time doing it! As far as I can gather from various guides with slightly different models of the w210...

-disconnect the battery
-remove engine fan housing
-remove the engine fan itself
-loosen the tensioner so I can slip off the timing chain
-remove the two bolts and the wires attached to the alternator
-then replace!

Pathetically I got as far as step 1 . Didnt wanna force the fan housing out if there is a simpler trick anyone knows of. Then I read that removing the fan requires special or custom made tools. I'm also 99% sure we located the tesioner nut but it seems VERY tight to loosen and thats where I'm 1% unsure if thats the right nut...

I'd greatly appreciate some expertise (*ahem ohlord ) or a great picture filled, detailed explanation that anyone can provide links too (no need for crayons and lunch money... *feel like a grade schooler here compared to the knowledge some of you guys posses)
Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 PM

88 535is, 89 318iT
Originally Posted by marlboromanG
-loosen the tensioner so I can slip off the timing chain
I'm quite sure you mean serpentine drive belt, not timing chain. There's a certain amount of force needed to remove parts on a car. The trick is learning what that force is, but it's usually more than you think. Just go slow, make sure you remove all fasteners, then wiggle away.

Instead of removing the fan clutch, it might be easier to remove the fan blade portion from the clutch for access, if you don't have the holder tool. My 99 E320 only has electric fans, with plenty of room to get the alternator out, so not sure what you're up against.
David
Old 01-31-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by dsmith
I'm quite sure you mean serpentine drive belt, not timing chain. There's a certain amount of force needed to remove parts on a car. The trick is learning what that force is, but it's usually more than you think. Just go slow, make sure you remove all fasteners, then wiggle away.

Instead of removing the fan clutch, it might be easier to remove the fan blade portion from the clutch for access, if you don't have the holder tool. My 99 E320 only has electric fans, with plenty of room to get the alternator out, so not sure what you're up against.
David
Thanks for the reply David. Yes you're correct.. i meant the serpentine belt Also again I stand corrected in that I just need to remove the fan blade not the entire fan clutch. Ever since this post I'm still between searching online and walking into the garage for comparison and havent gotten a pin-point idea where to go. Anyone have pictures or diagrams?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:45 PM

88 535is, 89 318iT
What exactly are you stuck on? As long as you don't open the cooling system or a/c system, it should be unbolt/rebolt. Dive in and start removing stuff. Document as you go, keep the nuts/bolts/wires organized. Be aware that some things on these cars are easier to get at from the bottom.

Also be aware that there could be a bunch of stuff to remove vs. older cars. I did my BMW valve cover gasket this week. It took 4hrs and almost 40 bolts, and that's on a straight six!

If you really get stuck, then just put it back together and take it somewhere.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:32 AM

"dive in and start removing stuff"

Haha thats actually one of the best pieces of advice I got, thanks dsmith! Well...so I did and was able to do it today. After accomplishing it, I find there seems as easier way from the collective methods I obtained from searching. In case anyone has to tackle the same job PM me and I will be more than glad to offer advice with pictures and directions in return for all the help I received on this and several other forums.

btw just had to share... I picked up this particular 96 E320 for $1,200 (only a weeks worth paycheck!) My neighbor's cousin wanted to get rid of it because the stealership claimed a new tranny was needed and the cost was basically more than the car itself. I took a look at it and honestly the tranny sounded great so I bought it for parts (as I drive a 97 E320). Plugged in the diagnostic and came out with a voltage regulator problem code. I decided to replace the entire alternator with a very well re-built ($120) and low and behold... she shifts like a champ! My black E320 I bought for $20,000 a few years back and this white one cost me $1,320! Its just sad that the stealership either had plans for a full rip-off deal or totally overlooked diagnosing it and find that all it was is the alternator. *tsk *tsk
Old 02-02-2008, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Score

that is like the video of the guy with the sunroof problem.No diagnostics,they just tell him the bill would be 6-7 grand to do the repair.He drives to a indie shop and the guy pulls out a pair of tweezers and removes a small pebble from the slider rail.
Pays to have a scanner,pays to check all conditions that will lead to limp mode.
Good job on the score.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by marlboromanG
Sorry if there is a thorough DIY guide, but for the life of me I can't find it! I'm trying to replace the alternator on my 96 E320 and having a *itch and a half time doing it!
First thing one does when one is having alternator problems is check the voltage regulator--which does not require removing alternator. It costs way less than any rebuilt alternator--which will probably be in worse shape than the original alternator you have.

Then, how hard is it to find the W210 Service DVD? Not very--your dealer can get it for you or you can order it at 800.for.merc Alternately you can see all these WIS procedures online by just purchasing a one-day subscription at http://www.startekinfo.com