E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2001 E55 light questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2008 | 03:46 PM

2001 e55
Smile 2001 E55 light questions

I just bought a 2001 E55 last week. Black on Black leather. 102k and runs great. I have a few question though:

- The passenger fog light is out. How is the bulb replaced? I don't have a manual so I'm assuming you must change it out from the back of the light. Does anyone know what type and wattage bulb it takes so I can buy it first before having to pull the bulb and then head off to the auto parts store?

- I bought a set of smoked bumper lights to get rid of the yellows for a more subtle look. Do the lights themselves come out or do you need to remove the bumper trim and then the lights?

- I have intermittenly getting a taillight failure message on the display. I will drive the car sometimes with no problems and no fault messages. Other times, I hit the brakes and get the fault message. I have checked the taillights and brake lights and they all are working including the 3rd brake light. Thoughts?

Thanks
Ken
Old 03-06-2008 | 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by glxtasy
I just bought a 2001 E55 last week. Black on Black leather. 102k and runs great. I have a few question though:

- The passenger fog light is out. How is the bulb replaced? I don't have a manual so I'm assuming you must change it out from the back of the light. Does anyone know what type and wattage bulb it takes so I can buy it first before having to pull the bulb and then head off to the auto parts store?

- I bought a set of smoked bumper lights to get rid of the yellows for a more subtle look. Do the lights themselves come out or do you need to remove the bumper trim and then the lights?

- I have intermittenly getting a taillight failure message on the display. I will drive the car sometimes with no problems and no fault messages. Other times, I hit the brakes and get the fault message. I have checked the taillights and brake lights and they all are working including the 3rd brake light. Thoughts?

Thanks
Ken

Look under the front of the car the Splash pan has a door on the left and right sides to service the fog light

The SIDE Markers can be removed via a plastic wedge to avoid scratches

It can be the brake light switch ..check for stored codes
also the tail light bulb holders melt and cause a loose connection
Old 03-06-2008 | 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
An 01 manual

http://www.analogstereo.com/pdf/om/m...anual_2001.pdf
For the E55amg it will give you a lot of the basic r/r for bulbs etc.
you can pick up the selective yellow euro spec fog bulbs at
www.danielsternlighting.com
also brighter tail ,side marker and the turn signal bulbs that look clear until on then they flash the proper color,makes the directionals look nicer.
Have fun with the new car.
Get the trans fluid changed,mb spec fluid and filter.DIY on benzworld.org w210 diy section.