E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Lost Remote controls , replaced them with stuff bough on ebay, how to reprogram?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320, Acura Legend
Lost Remote controls , replaced them with stuff bough on ebay, how to reprogram?

I bought this E320 1999, with just the valet key. I got the mechanical keys cut from dealer, and bought 2 identical (3 buttons plus panic on the top face) e320 remotes, smart keys whatever we call them...
I know that those came from other cars, as they have cut mechanical keys in them.

Now the hard part. how do I reprogram them (if that is a naive question... read on..)

Can you suggest a dealer who can reprogram (My local guy Sunmotorcars.com of Harrisburg, PA said $125 will buy the key, no reprogrammingpossible on someone elses keys).... and what did you pay, do they need my car ? (then I have to take the car and that limits how far I can go, from Harrisburg, PA).

thank you all,

will seek your help for the garage door opener programming soon... Let me try the steps in the owner's manual before I bug you all on that one..

Thanks

Logikman

ps. I tried my best to search and see other messages in the threads.. honestly..
Old 12-06-2002, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
I have read elsewhere that the smartkey cannot be recoded unless by the factory. Apparently there is an ebay scam going on from time to time. May I ask what you paid for it?
Old 12-06-2002, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
My son loves to play with smart keys, so I'm going to buy a spare key from ebay as a toy. I monitored several auctions and found that they finished at $15-18 plus delivery. It doesn't look like expensive for such toy, but I couldn't catch them yet. When I bought my car a dealer said that only 8 keys exist for every car and no any other can be reprogrammed. If 8 keys gone, then no more new keys can be issued and all system should be replaced, but can I trust to a dealer?
Old 12-06-2002, 09:39 PM

2008 E550
Don't buy any keys from any where but your dealer. They cannot be reprogramed no matter what you hear. Its cost me about $150.00 for a new smart key and metal key at Hoehn MB in Carlsbad. When I came in with a key to have it reprogrammed, I got the mix of - very funny joke crossed with how did you ever get enough money to buy one of these cars?

DO NOT BUY ON EBAY!!!

Greg
Old 12-06-2002, 11:49 PM

1999 E320, Acura Legend
bought em for 25 each...

these look like new, so I spent a bit more . I have heard people take an oath on both sides... that it can be repprogrammed .. that it can't be...

I am about to give up coz I live in a small town and running around to a dealer beyond 50 ot 70 miles is not really owrth it for me... But I heard we can actually take the power (batteries0 out and leave until the ke loses the current code.. and then they are as simple as new to recode them..

Any takers, I will give up one key for $25 and buy one from a dealer and lead my crusade to reprogram on one key... any takers?
Old 12-07-2002, 04:27 PM

98 e430sport
smart key

I lost one of the two smart keys and had to order a new one from the dealer for my 2001 e320.

Here is what I found out - according to the dealer;

- Smartkey 'blanks' are required for programming to a new car. They are programmed by inserting them in the ignition for a few/many minutes and are programmed automatically by the car. That is why the blanks have to be ordered through a dealer/factory because with a 'blank' you can steal a car.

- Once programmed, the key cannot be reprogrammed dead battery or not.

- I think it cost about $175

YMMV,

Asad
Old 12-07-2002, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 E320
I think you can reprogram the smart key. I remember reading in my 96 manual something to the effect that if your smart key were to stop working for some reason, they show the sequence on how to reprogram it. I don't have time right now to run out to my car and look it up, but is shouldn't be hard to find. Had something to do with inserting the key, waiting a few seconds, pushing the smart key button for a certain amount of time, etc.

The "8 key" thing sounds kind of ridiculous.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
If Key was generic then they would be in Parts and not have to de ordered from MB!

Originally posted by figure1a
I think you can reprogram the smart key. I remember reading in my 96 manual something to the effect that if your smart key were to stop working for some reason, they show the sequence on how to reprogram it. I don't have time right now to run out to my car and look it up, but is shouldn't be hard to find. Had something to do with inserting the key, waiting a few seconds, pushing the smart key button for a certain amount of time, etc.

The "8 key" thing sounds kind of ridiculous.
How can you comment on your Smart Key experience and your car is a 96? The Smart Key started in 98. Or did you mean your 98 manual?

If you could reprogram a Smart Key at home anyone could steal your car by inserting it!

In 98 I also was told the smart key was only 8 per car. But things change.

The keys have key codes based on the VIN. When you order a key you need to prove ownership and provide VIN. If the key was 'generic' then the VIN would not be required and they would be in Dealer stock. The keys are specific to the cars and have to be ordered from Mercedes-Benz USA.

I just ordered the Valet (Flat) key because the 2002 models do not include one. The Valet key was standard on my 98 E430. I picked the key up from Parts and took it home and used it. It was not programmed by the dealer.

Damn Valet key and Key Blade set me back $180.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 12-09-2002 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
One more thing. A car should somehow to forget old keys when you adopt new one. I believe it's easy to do if a car can have limited number of keys.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:17 PM

1999 E320, Acura Legend
well, YOU CANT REPROGRAM IT.

Everyone talkes about reprogramming smart keys. Though not authoritatve, this is my final answer for this issue after spending about 10 hours on this.

*** 1998 and onwards smartkeys CAN NOT be REPRPOGRAMMED especially buying someone else's key.

*** The cheapest dealer I found so far, who would mail it to you from Mercedes direct is Sun motor Cars in Carlisle (Harrisburg , PA). They charged me $134 for Key, mechanical laset cut key and ready to insert in the car, including taxes and shipping!

www.sunmotorcars.com

and phone: 717 737 3034. I always talk to a guy JASON in parts (No, I dont get any kick backs, but I want let you know as I felt they deserve the plug!). Tell him Logikman gave you the reference (may be he will put me on hold for fewer minutes next time!).

Some older not so smart keys can be reprogrammed, IF you have another original key. These dont have a 8 key limitation. The newer ones, which incidentally, have the 8 key limitation are due to 'rolling code' feature. Once you lose a key and ask for a new key, the rolling code changes to a new one. After you exhaust all 8 keys, you will have to replace the Lock cylinder etc.,

DON't buy ebay keys. I bought em, couldnt program em .. donated them!
Old 12-21-2004, 07:21 PM

Thumbs up My Side of the Key Program Story

Well, on Thanksgiving evening my lovely wife (she is...but) threw my C230 key at me (missed!) and broke the plastic smart key casing. The remotes continue to work, but I was unable to start car. I spent $125 for a new smart key and $25 for a new valet insert at my dealership. When I purchased the key, the "service advisor" explained that I should have no problem, that the key was new, not programmed, and should start the car immediately. He did, however, give me instructions on how to program if the car did not start immediately.

So, a week later I go, where?, to e-bay. Purchased a key for $35, which seemed great considering what I paid a week previously. $35 for an extra key sounds like a good idea.

I went back to the dealer yesterday to pick up the valet insert for the new key (which had been on order). I placed the e-bay key in front of the parts manager and got a big "forget it." I explained that another service advisor had told me that these keys COULD be programmed and, indeed, the parts manager began to back up, BIG TIME. I went back to the service advisor I had been speaking to earlier and here's what he said:

1. Place the programmed key in the ignition. The key will not turn. You may need to wait as long as 10 hours for the key to turn on the car, but the car may shut down immediately when the brake is depressed as you attempt to put the car in gear.

2. Now, since the key turns, leave the key in the #2 position. Wait (how long I do not know). The key will continue to reprogram and eventually all will work as it should

I have not tried it yet, but that is what I was told by a dealership service person.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:42 AM

E430, Ferrari 360 Modena, BMW m3
Hi everyone, I would buy the e-bay key only if your smart key case is broken. And the remote is still working. my key does not have the chrome logo on it, found one that has it open it up and exchange the remote.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by foolishbanker
1. Place the programmed key in the ignition. The key will not turn. You may need to wait as long as 10 hours for the key to turn on the car, but the car may shut down immediately when the brake is depressed as you attempt to put the car in gear.

2. Now, since the key turns, leave the key in the #2 position. Wait (how long I do not know). The key will continue to reprogram and eventually all will work as it should

I have not tried it yet, but that is what I was told by a dealership service person.
If you put your own (valid) key in the ignition and leave it with the car off for more than 15 minutes or so, you won't be able to turn it, after 30 minutes, 10 hours, 10 days, or 10 months. After the key has been in the ignition with the car off, there is a time out on how long it is valid.

Point 2 is invalid because they key will never turn.

-s-
Old 12-22-2004, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by scorchie
If you put your own (valid) key in the ignition and leave it with the car off for more than 15 minutes or so, you won't be able to turn it, after 30 minutes, 10 hours, 10 days, or 10 months. After the key has been in the ignition with the car off, there is a time out on how long it is valid.

Point 2 is invalid because they key will never turn.

-s-
but Dean, can you guys get the casing for the W210 smart keys (as you might remember, my car is a 98 Eurospec but I believe it has the smartkey that came out in 99 US versions)? One of mine's snapped off at where the battery cover clips on and the local MB dealer says I'll need to replace the entire key (which works fine). Many thanks.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Whitey
but Dean, can you guys get the casing for the W210 smart keys (as you might remember, my car is a 98 Eurospec but I believe it has the smartkey that came out in 99 US versions)? One of mine's snapped off at where the battery cover clips on and the local MB dealer says I'll need to replace the entire key (which works fine). Many thanks.
I will check it out. If we can't get it, I can just get one for you off eBay... will you be in Europe in February? There are a few get-togethers you might want to attend!

-s-
Old 12-22-2004, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
Smart keys

In 99 and on cars shipped (smart key) with two remotes and one emergency key, the keys are electronic, when you put them in the ignition they communicate with the body computer unlock and latch the key lock so you can turn the key and start the car. The keys are one and two and the emergency key is three. there can be eight active keys, and after twenty four, you have to replace the modules (EIS,ESL,ECM) and all the (electronic) keys.
When ordering a key from PDC your dealer must specify if this is a replacement or additional. The replacement, will invalidate its corresponding key, and additional will add a key. I know since I went thru this, and someone ordered the wrong one, which disabled my good key. As shipped the "electronic key" will unlock the car but not turn in the ignition for up to 90 minutes, it will turn and start but not keep running untill you leave it in position 2 for another 90 minutes or so. The red light in the key will be illuminated while it registers.
If you loose a key you must order a replacement, which will disable the orgional. your dealer can read which key is in the ignition. These numers are in a data base at the PDC and tied to your VIN, the remote is properly coded and usually shipped ovenight. There is a eight page description of this and I think I understand it, my service advisor and parts guys, just shake their heads!
I you got one on E bay "good luck" because the only thing you can use is the batteries and housing, most of these are stolen (lost) by valets or someone who does not turn in one of their remotes

Last edited by Peter Guenther; 12-22-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by scorchie
I will check it out. If we can't get it, I can just get one for you off eBay... will you be in Europe in February? There are a few get-togethers you might want to attend!

-s-
an euro gtg would be great....no plans yet but i might just aim for that....but i'm sure i'll be the odd looking one:p Thanks for looking bro...will be in touch once I've firmed up my plans.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE350 4MATIC, 2009 ML350 4matic, 2005 4maticWAGON (sold), A Pre-facelift W210(sold)
Red face reprogramming key..

Logikman, thanks for the info and the research.

Logikman, its amazing that You have a qoute that says that no one can make you part with your money, but I guess the ebay dude succeeded in duping you....just on a lighter note