E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Anyone know fuel hose size/diameter? See pic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes E300 TurboDiesel
Anyone know fuel hose size/diameter? See pic

On my '99 E300 turbodiesel (606 engine) there is a clearish fuel hose, hard/stiff plastic, that goes between the fuel filter to the actuator. Basically the clear plastic fuel hose going from the fuel filter back toward the injection pump. Anyone know what size fuel tubing this is or the material?? Thanks much. The hoses im referring to look yellow in the pic due to the wonderful biodiesel fuel!
Old 12-13-2002, 10:38 AM
Almost a Member!

1997 E300D
Thumbs up

lightman,
I had the same problem on my 97 E300. The line you are refering to is a plastic diesel fuel line. It looks like you could replace just the hose protion, but you can't. It is heat shrunk to the black plastic fitting's on each end it is attached to, believe me you could'nt get them appart if your life depended on it. The good news is MB sells the hose assemblies for about $10 a piece. Save yourself the grief and replace all 6 at once. The new lines have updated connections that have an improved seal. The next place you will devolope a leak is on top of your diesel pump(where those 6 metal lines are attached to). Dont worry it's just the crush washers between the metal lines and the pump. A few bucks for the washers, and an afternoon removing the intake manifold to get access, and your home free. Mine devolped these leaks @ 85,000 miles. I fixed it all at once and have not smelled fuel again.
P.S. if you only want to replace the plastic lines you can get access to the area by removing your fuel filter, and reaching through there. However if you are a little more daring removal of the intake crosstube(the one that goes acroos the top of the motor) will also give you plenty of room. I hope this helps, email me if you have any questions... [IMG]http://[/IMG]

Last edited by DMOODY; 12-13-2002 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:06 PM

1999 Mercedes E300 TurboDiesel
Dmoody, I dont know what gave you the impression I was having ANY problems with my fuel system leaking, which I'm not. I'm simply inquiring as to the size/diameter of the line going from the primary filter to the electrohydraulic actuator. The reason is that I plan to add a secondary/final 2 micron fuel filter to the system, and this is the proper line to tap into. Your info on the connectors was extremely valuable , thank you. I may just look into using the factory connection at the filter, cutting off the other end and connecting to the hose barb of the secondary filter, same on the way out of the secondary, and use the mb connection to the actuator....wonder if that will work...just don't want to have any air leaks etc with using that plastic hose on a barb...wish mb didn't use those damn funky connectors....overengineering at its best....
Old 12-16-2002, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Originally posted by DMOODY
lightman,
I had the same problem on my 97 E300. The line you are refering to is a plastic diesel fuel line. It looks like you could replace just the hose protion, but you can't. It is heat shrunk to the black plastic fitting's on each end it is attached to, believe me you could'nt get them appart if your life depended on it. The good news is MB sells the hose assemblies for about $10 a piece. Save yourself the grief and replace all 6 at once. The new lines have updated connections that have an improved seal. The next place you will devolope a leak is on top of your diesel pump(where those 6 metal lines are attached to). Dont worry it's just the crush washers between the metal lines and the pump. A few bucks for the washers, and an afternoon removing the intake manifold to get access, and your home free. Mine devolped these leaks @ 85,000 miles. I fixed it all at once and have not smelled fuel again.
P.S. if you only want to replace the plastic lines you can get access to the area by removing your fuel filter, and reaching through there. However if you are a little more daring removal of the intake crosstube(the one that goes acroos the top of the motor) will also give you plenty of room. I hope this helps, email me if you have any questions... [IMG]http://[/IMG]
DMOODY.... can you please elaborate more on the crush washers? With parts number etc... I appear to be having the exact leaking problem you have addressed. When I'm done with this semester I want to replace those washers and my alternator... IF I ever find they time. BTW.... any idea how much of a pain it is to replace the alternator.. took a quick peek and looks straight forward.....
Old 12-16-2002, 10:21 AM
Almost a Member!

1997 E300D
Lightman,
Sorry I didnt mean to "diss" your ride, but all the other w210 diesel owners I have spoken with have experinced the same leaks. Hopefully your's will be spared.. Also let us know how the filter addition goes. I might try the same since the diesel here in Houston is questionalbe at best...

Also I understand you have lowered your E300. I plan on doing the same, and could use some input. Santa just might be putting some 18" Carlsson evo 1/6's under my tree.

Thanks
DM
Old 12-16-2002, 10:30 AM
Almost a Member!

1997 E300D
Thumbs up

Michakaveli,
I dont have the part numbers, but the MB parts guy will know what your talking about. You have to get them from MB since they are a funky metric size. Also pick up some new o-rings for your intake, since that must come off to gain access to the pump. The removal & install of the crush washers is pretty straight foward once you can get both hands on the pump. If you run into trouble drop me an email.
Thanks
DM
Old 11-26-2004, 02:16 PM

E300TD
Help Please...Fuel leak as described above. E300 99

Hello,
I haven't posted since my wife did 360's on the 110 a while back.
We just drove the 400 miles to my parents place in Oakland and I now have the fuel leak that was described above. Could any/either of you give me some insight as to how stranded I am until this problem is fixed. To give you an idea of the leak...it is coming off the fuel filter upon start-up and continues dripping enough that over the first night we were hear after the 400 miles it had started dripping out the plastic oil pan cover/air difuser. It left a decent sized "puddle" in the street.

When I looked at it this a.m. the fuel pump was basically dry and it was impossible to tell where the leak came from until the car was started. Within about 15 seconds the fuel leak is clearly visible.
Is tightening up any of the leak areas a possibility?
Am I stranded until a new fuel pump can be installed?
How much am I looking at when I do a new pump etc.?
Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Trending Topics

Old 11-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question Location Now?

Are you still up North?
If it isn't leaking any worse than you describe, you should be able to make it back down here where things are a trifle less expensive.

I know of an honest and trust-worthy mechanic down here that will only do what is necessary and he is reasonable. Only trouble for you is that he's in the South Bay area, a fur piece from Seal Beach.

Remember, a little fuel goes a long way when spilled on the ground, and if you're only smelling it, and it isn't spraying all over the place, you should be able to drive your car back down South.

I had one injector connection let go on my TDI after I had changed the injectors out, and I had fuel spraying all over the place, and it was literally dripping off of everytning!
If you made it all the way up North without running out of fuel, you should be able to come back to where the repairs can be done more reasonably. What kind of fuel economy did you get going up?

Good luck!

Last edited by Green E-300 DT; 11-28-2004 at 12:33 PM.