E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

V1 Hardwire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2008 | 09:35 PM

V1 Hardwire

Hello,
I saw the previous thread about the V1 hardwire.
I am looking for something easier to do I tried to search
but I was unable to find anything.
What is the best way to hardwire my V1. I see there are 2 fuse boxes,
one by the driver door, and the other one under the back seat.
I was thinking of taping one of the fuses in the back.
What have you guys done, that is rather simple?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2008 | 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E430
IMO the easiest way (assuming you are not running a concealed display or any other V1 accessories) is to mount the V1 up by the mirror. Tuck the cord between the headliner and the windshield over to the drivers side a-pillar and then down to the fuse box on the side of the dash. I don't remember what fuses are in that panel but if none of them are suitable (watch out for critical systems like brakes headlights airbags etc) you can use the fuse panel in the engine compartment (I added an add a fuse to the windshield washer heater circuit). The cover under the steering wheel is easily lowered and there is a decent sized pass thru to the engine compartment fuse panel. Remember to use an inline fuse when adding aftermarket accessories to your car (V1 has a fuse in the power supply so you should be good to go) All this probably sounds a lot harder then it is.

Another option could be to tap for power up at the mirror/domelight or the cig lighter but I haven't paid much attention to how useable they would be.
Old 08-16-2008 | 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by suicidal4life
IMO the easiest way (assuming you are not running a concealed display or any other V1 accessories) is to mount the V1 up by the mirror. Tuck the cord between the headliner and the windshield over to the drivers side a-pillar and then down to the fuse box on the side of the dash. I don't remember what fuses are in that panel but if none of them are suitable (watch out for critical systems like brakes headlights airbags etc) you can use the fuse panel in the engine compartment (I added an add a fuse to the windshield washer heater circuit). The cover under the steering wheel is easily lowered and there is a decent sized pass thru to the engine compartment fuse panel. Remember to use an inline fuse when adding aftermarket accessories to your car (V1 has a fuse in the power supply so you should be good to go) All this probably sounds a lot harder then it is.

Another option could be to tap for power up at the mirror/domelight or the cig lighter but I haven't paid much attention to how useable they would be.
Thanks,
I did not know there was a fuse box in the engine compartment. That might seem to be the best way.
Old 08-16-2008 | 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E430
Originally Posted by khaiser
Thanks,
I did not know there was a fuse box in the engine compartment. That might seem to be the best way.

Underhood fuse box is located here

Apologies to E55cent for using a pic of his engine. I had it easily available.

The lid is secured by 6 screws. The fuse blocks will lift out (may take some wiggling) and at the bottom of the box you will see a big piece of foam that is covering a big hole that runs under the dashboard.