E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

EGR Valve - Cost to Replace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E350 Sport/2016 E350
EGR Valve - Cost to Replace

I received a quote from the dealer to replace the EGR on my 1999 E320 for $670. It appears you can get the part for $125, but I am not sure what level of expertise is needed to DIY.

I have read ohlords' posting on Benzworld, but cannot tell how difficult the procedure is.

Any guidance is always appreciated.

Last edited by skipsantos; 09-08-2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Adding comments:
Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Has it

failed or is the tube just in need of a cleaning?Most times that is the issue.
What codes are showing?
www.alldatadiy.com
someone might copy you the wis from the mb dvd.
has the wis for removal if you need more than my diy.I forgot to take pictures on the last one I did for a local member.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:04 PM

Can't answer without a little more info. I brought the car to the dealer this morning for a warranty covered repair - the "Check Engine" light came on last night as an added bonus. Due to a brief window where I could be without a car, today was the only day in the near term for me to bring it to the shop. So, I had to do it with the Check Engine light on. I brought it to AutoZone last night to get the codes, but they were understaffed and could not go outside to check the codes for me.

I have not asked the dealer for the codes...yet. I also have not noticed any change in the way the vehicle drives, so I do not know if it failed or if it is just the tube.

By the way, I brought the car in for:

1. A bad power seat switch (passenger) - if you try to move the seat backward, it moves forward instead.
2. Deteriorating headlight wires - not sure if this is covered yet. Warranty company says they do not cover sealed beams; however, the dealer says it is not a sealed beam. I agree.
3. Dead right brake light - the socket was described as melted and requires the entire tail light assembly to be replaced. This was previously replaced in Oct 2005. Dealer said it was a common problem. The item should be recalled. Warranty company says it is not covered because it is a sealed beam; however, it is not and they covered the repair in 2005.

Can you tell what the reason for denial of the day was?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 PM

I just received the code reader. The code is P0400, which is EGR Flow Malfunction. If anyone has insight on this one, let me know.

Also, "Oil at Minimum Level" light came on. I checked the oil and the level appeared to be fine. It repeated a day or so later. I called the dealer to see what they can do because they replaced the sensor in April 2008(under an extended warranty). They said to bring it in for them to test to determine if it was an issue other than the sensor. The tech said there have been issues with the rings on this model. Is anyone familiar with this type of problem that this model is having regarding oil consumption?

Last edited by skipsantos; 09-25-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Originally Posted by skipsantos
...Is anyone familiar with this type of problem that this model is having regarding oil consumption?
Yes, some of that era 320 and 430 engines consume oil. Use the search function and you will read about them for hours. If you are that concerned, have some dealer perform an oil consumption test and you might get lucky. Oil can leak or be burned in the cylinders due to different causes, but the oil rings are a likely culprit. Some people have had extensive engine work done, and some have had engines replaced, courtesy of MB.

Last edited by Musikmann; 09-25-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: change
Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Musikmann
Yes, some of that era 320 and 430 engines consume oil. Use the search function and you will read about them for hours. If you are that concerned, have some dealer perform an oil consumption test and you might get lucky. Oil can leak or be burned in the cylinders due to different causes, but the oil rings are a likely culprit. Some people have had extensive engine work done, and some have had engines replaced, courtesy of MB.

I read most of your posts from '07 regarding your episode with this issue. Looks like I am in for a good time.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Oil level

was fine ,reading on the dipstick means it was fine,you have no ring problem,you just maybe a half quart low.
Monitor the level.
rear brake lamp you can repair it,don't pay a dealer to do it if the warranty company wont cover it.It is not a sealed beam anyway.
egr cleaning just takes time to get the tube off and the tube cleaned out.Flow malfunction is just that,not egr failure, a flow obstruction.
alldatadiy.com for the wis if you need more than my diy.
Search rear brake light w210 for diy to repair the socket or if they try to wiggle out hold them to the fire,that is what you paid the warranty to cover.

most of the ring consumption issues were for the 98 engines that did not specify synthetic oil and the rings got sludged up and stuck causing excessive oil use.
your 99 should not have that problem and sometimes even at proper level,it will trigger a low oil warning just sitting on a hill.ill per above to the proper level and keep track of it.You also could just have a bad oil level sensor,easy diy.
ohlord
Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ohlord
was fine ,reading on the dipstick means it was fine,you have no ring problem,you just maybe a half quart low.
Monitor the level.
rear brake lamp you can repair it,don't pay a dealer to do it if the warranty company wont cover it.It is not a sealed beam anyway.
egr cleaning just takes time to get the tube off and the tube cleaned out.Flow malfunction is just that,not egr failure, a flow obstruction.
alldatadiy.com for the wis if you need more than my diy.
Search rear brake light w210 for diy to repair the socket or if they try to wiggle out hold them to the fire,that is what you paid the warranty to cover.

most of the ring consumption issues were for the 98 engines that did not specify synthetic oil and the rings got sludged up and stuck causing excessive oil use.
your 99 should not have that problem and sometimes even at proper level,it will trigger a low oil warning just sitting on a hill.ill per above to the proper level and keep track of it.You also could just have a bad oil level sensor,easy diy.
ohlord
Thanks for the reply. Warranty company covered the headlight and taillight fixes once they consulted with someone who knew what a sealed beam was. I opted not to go with the dealer's $670 fix for the P0400, so I will clean the tube over the weekend and see how that goes.

I am a little bothered by the oil warning and hope it may be something other than the rings. I am glad to hear your comment about the 98's. The dealer replaced the sensor less than six months ago, but I do not know if that is a reason to be or not to be concerned.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by skipsantos
Thanks for the reply. Warranty company covered the headlight and taillight fixes once they consulted with someone who knew what a sealed beam was. I opted not to go with the dealer's $670 fix for the P0400, so I will clean the tube over the weekend and see how that goes.

I am a little bothered by the oil warning and hope it may be something other than the rings. I am glad to hear your comment about the 98's. The dealer replaced the sensor less than six months ago, but I do not know if that is a reason to be or not to be concerned.
I had this same error on my E320 as well. I took it over to an MB shop, not a dealer and they did the EGR, clean-up, and a few other things I would have to look at the sheet for. The bill was right at $490.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C240 4MATIC
My 2005 c240 has the same problem. My check engine light came on. I took it to a mechanic that I know and could not find the problem. The code is p0400 with a reading of egr flow malfunction. However my car runs just fine.
The valves and vaccum lines are good. Could it be the air mass meter?
Anybody's help would be great.
Thanks.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:48 AM

2005 E500
Hey guys,

I have my check engine light on on my 05 e500. I took it for a smog check and they told me it's got something to do with EGR valve. Is this a common problem with the benz...or should I replace the EGR valve or clean them up and check for the hoses? any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 Cobra & '04 S430
I know I'm reviving an old post -but could somebody post how to check the EGR Valve?

Here's my story - I cleaned out the EGR Tube a couple months ago - and that did not clear the code. Yesterday, pulled it all out again, and decided to check for leaks in the tube. I blew in the tube while it was attached to the valve, and I could hear the air passing through the valve, it was restricted, but not sealed. I could open the valve manually - and it would flow a whole lot easier. Is this normal operation?

The code that keeps coming up is the dreaded P0400, but the car runs fine.

I'm going to take the valve out again tonight and spray the heck out of it to see if that does the trick. But would want to know if it is normal to have a little bit of restricted flow through the valve at all times or if it should be completely sealed.